Main > The Armoury

Improving my kit for Days of Knights.

(1/16) > >>

Sir Ulrich:

This is my current kit minus the helm as I got my new helm. Considering I am going to days of knights I want to improve it to be better than it already is. Not sure what to add to it but I dont think I will be able to find chausses that will fit me without me cutting them apart and making them smaller to fit my stick legs. Dont want butted maille either cause I heard butted chausses come apart easily. I been considering getting GDFB stuff and just sending it to a tailor to get resized to fit me. I got a templar knight surcoat by them that needs tailoring to fit me properly but I been thinking of doing Teutonic knight instead as Ulrich is MUCH more of a teutonic knight name but considering I already got red belts maybe I should just stick with templar.

Ian:
Keep in mind that you probably won't want to be in armor for 72 hrs straight, where are you on your soft kit?

As far as chausses go, I think you really may just have to bite the bullet and resize a pair yourself.  Plenty of people here can guide you through it, you just have to be willing to do the work.  The alternative is to skip chausses, and just go for some padded cuisses perhaps?

A surcoat like you mentioned should be high on the priority list because that will really tie it all together, and it would even hide a lack of chausses if you decide to go that route.  Accessorizing your kit can really help sell the impression as well. Pouches, a pater noster... little things like that make a kit look more 'real' and authentic.

Sir Ulrich:
Yeah I need a surcoat though I DO have one I just need it resized as it's WAYYY too big on me

With that new helm I got it should look good along with my maille, only issue is my maille is blackened and I dunno how good that would look with this and my coif, though my coif is a dark grey thanks to the oil blackening. Now If I can find a place that sells padded chausses for a good deal and in my size I would be thankful. Just want them in black so it doesn't show the dirt. Maybe I'll just get the GDFB ones and take em to a tailor though I wish they covered the shins too. Maybe I should get a new surcoat that fits me but I want to tailor the one I got to fit me better.
Soft kit wise I got an underwear kit from Historical Enterprises and I just need an outer tunic for the 13th century and I will be all set for a soft kit as I got almost everything else. I don't want the gown tunic they offer I want something shorter so yeah.

Sir James A:
There's quite a few places that sell the GDFB chausses. Having them tailored should be very easy, since they're laced, and not "tube" fit.

MedievalCollectibles.com sells some very cheap padded forearm / lower leg black padding. Like $15 cheap. I doubt it's high quality, but at $15, certainly would work to get started with, especially considering it would probably be under chausses anyway.

If you get mail chausses, it's also acceptable to cut off the excess in the back and lace them together with some leather cord. Early chausses didn't cover the entire leg, and were open in the back. That could be a good 'interim' point between getting them fully tailored and closed in.

Butted mail will work, and will lose rings. Riveted mail will lose rings too. The main difference is, all things equal, the riveted mail should lose less rings, less often. If you get butted, get galvanized steel, not aluminum - the aluminum is too soft and will stretch even more. Beyond that, they seem to really frown on aluminum mail for Days of Knights - even says so on the site/facebook.

Only other thing I can think of is to have a period drinking container.

Lord Dane:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2012-07-26, 13:50:50 ---There's quite a few places that sell the GDFB chausses. Having them tailored should be very easy, since they're laced, and not "tube" fit.

MedievalCollectibles.com sells some very cheap padded forearm / lower leg black padding. Like $15 cheap. I doubt it's high quality, but at $15, certainly would work to get started with, especially considering it would probably be under chausses anyway.

If you get mail chausses, it's also acceptable to cut off the excess in the back and lace them together with some leather cord. Early chausses didn't cover the entire leg, and were open in the back. That could be a good 'interim' point between getting them fully tailored and closed in.

Butted mail will work, and will lose rings. Riveted mail will lose rings too. The main difference is, all things equal, the riveted mail should lose less rings, less often. If you get butted, get galvanized steel, not aluminum - the aluminum is too soft and will stretch even more. Beyond that, they seem to really frown on aluminum mail for Days of Knights - even says so on the site/facebook.

Only other thing I can think of is to have a period drinking container.

--- End quote ---

Butted Stainless Chausses ($64.99) on ebay.com. Perfect for you. I posted this previously with comments under another topic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version