Main > The Armoury

Gambesons at Etsy

<< < (2/9) > >>

Sir Ulrich:
I mailed them and it turns out their gambesons are made of cotten inside synthetic padding and linen outside. They also only use 1 layer of padding and they cant make it if it uses buckles and straps. Debating on on where to get one, this is the only knee length gambeson I could find close to the USA but I dont like the idea of using synthetic padding cause my current one has that and it's hot as hell. The main reason I want one is i'm fed up with my maille constantly rubbing up against and hitting my thighs cause my gambeson is too short to reach it.

Thorsteinn:
What about http://gambesons.com/? Sew your own?

Sir Ulrich:
Because I dont want to pay 300 bucks for arming clothing thats sold cheaper in Europe and isnt even the same period style I want (1100s-1200s) and I lack ANY sewing skills myself. My ex girlfriend offered to make me one but she said layers of gambeson is easier to make than padding it so I was gonna try that myself. Just need a pattern for a 13th century one I dont even want to pad it to be honest cause padded gambesons are a pain in the heat, I just want a layered gambeson with many layers of linen that wont be too hot in the summer.

Sir William:
Ulrich, when it comes to arming clothes, given your size and dimensions, you are much better going with a custom gambeson.  Cheaper does not equal better- spend your budget wisely and you'll be happier overall.  Take it from someone who has spent thousands of dollars on weapons, armor and garments- I've resold over 90% of what I've gotten over the years simply because the fit, finish, quality or whatever else can be off, was off.  Going custom is cheaper but think of it like this:

You can spend $300 on a custom gambeson, or you can spend $300 on three different off the rack gambesons, only to find that the materials and/or workmanship are shoddy, is not as advertised, does not fit, only to have to sell them at a reduced price thereby taking money out of your pocket and finding yourself in the exact same boat you were in before you started.  Can't tell you how many times that's happened to me.

Unless you're going to take the field and actually fight, you need not go full-custom, or worry about synthetic materials (unless you're angling for Living History accuracy) - in that case there are options.  Morgana Collection would be a good choice as it would be custom, but not as expensive as say a Jessica Fuhlen gambeson, like the one Ian had made.

I have an IceFalcon gambeson, paid $150 for it when it was on sale (he does that from time to time, Andre does - here's a link to his site.

http://store.fastcommerce.com/render.cz?method=searchProducts&store=icefalcon&keywords=arming%20cotte&btn_search=

The 'light arming cotte' might be exactly what you need.

Sir Wolf:
ya your not gonna get off the rack for what you really want. 300 sounds about the going price.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version