Main > The Armoury

Gambesons at Etsy

<< < (3/9) > >>

Sir James A:
Sir William speaks the truth. I have 4 or 5 gambesons; I started cheap (about $80), and now have ended up at the $250 revival arming coat. Had I started there, I'd be much better off. I learned just like you did, off the rack, and synthetic, is best suited to monthly, indoor games.

Ian:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2012-07-31, 19:30:20 ---Sir William speaks the truth. I have 4 or 5 gambesons; I started cheap (about $80), and now have ended up at the $250 revival arming coat. Had I started there, I'd be much better off. I learned just like you did, off the rack, and synthetic, is best suited to monthly, indoor games.

--- End quote ---

+50

I also learned the hard way.  Wasted money on off-the-rack garbage, wish I went with my trusty revival from the get-go.  Don't go cheap on arming clothes, it is the number one determining factor in how mobile and comfortable you are in armor.  Cheap arming clothes will make you hate your armor.

Sir Ulrich:
Yeah I been talking to Robert Coleman about gambesons and I think custom is the way to go, now to find someone willing to make it out of the materials I want it made out of. I want a hemp canvas outer shell to hold up to riveted maille and inside made of linen. Padding wise I want either bamboo or cotton fill because wool would retain heat too much. I need to find someone willing to make one thats a 13th century design though thats a pull over and goes down to my knees. Off the rack stuff just doesnt work for me.

Thorsteinn:
Matuls might be able to help.

Though it sounds more & more like doing it yourself is the way to go. I have 2 patterns that can help. I made mine with very little experience and it's the best bit of armour I own. Materials wise it was about $90 and more than 10 hours of work but totally worth it!

(yes I'm wearing it in my pic)

Sir Ulrich:
Yeah I was considering ordering this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Gambeson-Wambais-Aketon-Medium-Renaissance-Coat-Padded-Armour-/251091867838?pt=AU_Costumes&hash=item3a763dd8be
Cause most custom stuff is in the 300 dollar range which is above my budget. I could always dye it black also. This is also in my period it looks like a 1200s gambeson and its sizing wont be too big on me as I measured the sleeve size.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140715409692
That one is also a possibility.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version