Main > The Armoury

My Armory

<< < (3/9) > >>

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2012-05-22, 14:58:26 ---Sir James, I can tell you- 'Oriental' is not a PC term.  ;)  The correct terminology is 'Asian'- and I was told this by a young Asian woman. lol

--- End quote ---

Oops, sorry, I never know which to go for.

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---Sir John, that first Excalibur you have- is it from the movie Last Legion?  I thought that was a good movie, my brother introduced me to it...as far as legends of Arthur go, it wasn't a bad take on what could've been.  A bit of a stretch, but still a good yarn.
--- End quote ---

I agree with Sir William in regards to the film, although it has stirred quite a controversy with historians.  But it is a good film none the less.

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Joshua Santana on 2012-05-23, 15:59:42 ---
--- Quote ---Sir John, that first Excalibur you have- is it from the movie Last Legion?  I thought that was a good movie, my brother introduced me to it...as far as legends of Arthur go, it wasn't a bad take on what could've been.  A bit of a stretch, but still a good yarn.
--- End quote ---

I agree with Sir William in regards to the film, although it has stirred quite a controversy with historians.  But it is a good film none the less.

--- End quote ---

Historians?  How about they prove that Arthur actually existed before they go about how he came about and such.  I've enjoyed most of the Arthurian-themed movies I've seen thus far...from the wildly fantastical Excalibur, the 2004s King Arthur, even Last Legion.  Hell, I liked Mists of Avalon!

Sir Matthew:
I love The Last Legion. Not my era of interest, per se, but it was a really good movie and did a pretty realistic depiction of combat, I thought. Plus it showed how bad ass Roman Legions were. Last I saw on the Arthur myth, historians seemed to be generally leaning toward that being a title and not an individual. Is this the debate to which you refer?

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---Historians?  How about they prove that Arthur actually existed before they go about how he came about and such.  I've enjoyed most of the Arthurian-themed movies I've seen thus far...from the wildly fantastical Excalibur, the 2004s King Arthur, even Last Legion.  Hell, I liked Mists of Avalon!
--- End quote ---

In fair Honesty, I enjoy a good Arthurian film, my personal favorite is the Clive Owen version.  Historians have debated over time who the real King Arthur was, they suggested it could be Lucius Arturius Castus, or Riothamus (a famous Celtic Leader whose life story resembles the legends perfectly) and the Welsh "Arthur" (can't remember his name) and so on.  My take is that the real Arthur was not one man, but rather several men that continued a legacy of early British independence from Rome and Barbarian invasions. 

--- Quote ---historians seemed to be generally leaning toward that being a title and not an individual. Is this the debate to which you refer?
--- End quote ---

I have read on the title debate and honestly I can see it as a possibility but I have yet to find evidence.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version