Main > The Armoury

Albion price hike

<< < (5/14) > >>

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2012-05-17, 11:27:33 ---Do you happen to have either the Talhoffer and/or the Ringeck blades Sir Edward?  ???

--- End quote ---

I do have the Talhoffer. Keep in mind it's a slightly later period sword, more for the end of the 14th through the 15th centuries. It's a good harnessfechten sword, meant for thrusting in the gaps between the plates.

Having said that, I love this sword. It's very nimble, because of the acute distal and profile tapers. It is a mean thruster. Not so great a cutter, though it's certainly still capable, but it's emphasis is on the thrust.

I can bring it with me to VARF and let you look at it.

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2012-05-17, 11:34:14 ---KoA has had a Ringeck in stock for quite some time if you're interested. It's listed under renaissance swords instead of medieval swords, and I think that's why no one sees it.  :)

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=ANH17&name=Albion+Ringeck+Medieval+War+Sword
--- End quote ---
Thanks Ian! However whichever one I choose will have to come from Albion since I’ll be using their layaway plan to help alleviate the sting of the overall cost. ;)

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2012-05-17, 12:03:39 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2012-05-17, 11:27:33 ---Do you happen to have either the Talhoffer and/or the Ringeck blades Sir Edward?  ???

--- End quote ---

I do have the Talhoffer. Keep in mind it's a slightly later period sword, more for the end of the 14th through the 15th centuries. It's a good harnessfechten sword, meant for thrusting in the gaps between the plates.

Having said that, I love this sword. It's very nimble, because of the acute distal and profile tapers. It is a mean thruster. Not so great a cutter, though it's certainly still capable, but it's emphasis is on the thrust.

I can bring it with me to VARF and let you look at it.

--- End quote ---

Well I’m not too concerned with it being a century ahead of my current harness as a majority of folks won’t know the difference. I basically want a fully functional and excellent cutter to use for cutting practice as well as a show piece. Well since you have two of the three blades I’m interested in then I’ll make my choice between the Talhoffer and Crecy.  :-\

If it isn’t too much of a bother, could you bring all three this Sunday to VARF? – The Talhoffer, Crecy and your new Albion (so I can drool over it! ;) ).

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2012-05-17, 13:45:27 ---If it isn’t too much of a bother, could you bring all three this Sunday to VARF? – The Talhoffer, Crecy and your new Albion (so I can drool over it! ;) ).

--- End quote ---

Sure thing. Ironically these are the three that don't have scabbards, so maybe I'll dig out my gun cases.

But yeah, if you want to do test-cutting, the Crecy is better for that. Unless you want to do test-stabbing instead. :)  Of course, for raw cutting power, the Baron kicks butt, but it's also a bit more massive. But I think the Crecy is a better "teaching cutter" since it's very controllable.

Interesting anecdote... The Talhoffer was my first Albion. I bought it used on myArmoury a while back. The dude I bought it from took it to his local UPS shop (a Mailboxes Etc or whatever it was), and let them box it up for him. And boy, they were stupid about it. They just threw it in a box with packing peanuts, without anything to secure it's position or cover the tip. In transit, it looked like the tip poked out of the box at least a dozen times, and was still protruding a full inch when the box was left on my doorstep. Remember, the Talhoffer has a needle-like point. Well, the last half millimeter or thereabouts was mashed flat, since it probably had struck something on one of the trucks. I was able to file it down and not really loose anything, so it ended up being OK. But man, it nearly gave me a heart-attack to find it that way on my front step.

Joshua Santana:
Personally, I would suggest Sir Brian that you go with the Crecy (more period accurate) than the Talhoffer.  But it is up to you anyway. 

--- Quote ---But yeah, if you want to do test-cutting, the Crecy is better for that. Unless you want to do test-stabbing instead. :)  Of course, for raw cutting power, the Baron kicks butt, but it's also a bit more massive. But I think the Crecy is a better "teaching cutter" since it's very controllable.

--- End quote ---

Sir Edward is right here, the blade shape is designed for cutting whereas the Talhoffer is more thrusting oriented.

--- Quote ---Thanks Ian! However whichever one I choose will have to come from Albion since I’ll be using their layaway plan to help alleviate the sting of the overall cost.
--- End quote ---

That is a good idea.  My preference is KOA since I like their service and their amazingly good prices. 

Sir William:
Really like that Crecy...the size, shape- I hear it cuts like a laser; for the bastard/longsword series by Albion it was always my favorite as far as aesthetics are concerned.  Sure, there are other, more refined swords in that category but I have always loved the Crecy.

But then...a full on custom is something that I've never had before.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version