Main > The Armoury

Gambesons from MATULS

<< < (8/11) > >>

Sir William:
Aluminum will spoil you, Sir Edward...and I have cause to know as I have a butted aluminum hauberk that is a dream to slide on!  Like the rest, putting on a steel hauberk requires some acrobatics...it would appear our forebears did the same, judging by some of the period artwork I've seen where knights were bent in half as they pulled on hauberks.

Ulrich, you will want to practice putting it on by yourself- keep at it til you can do it by yourself.  Normally, knights had squires to assist with the armoring but we don't, so we must learn to make do.

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---Put a long string through a couple rings on the bottom of the hauberk. When you put it on overhead like a shirt, pull down gently on the strings and it will, most of the time, tug loose any snagging rivets. Then just take out the strings once it's on.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---I usually roll and bunch up the bottom half like a regular shirt, put my arms all the way through while bending over at the waist then put my head through the neck opening, stand upright and let gravity do the rest with a few vertical hops to get the maille situated correctly.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Same for my maille. The jumping around at the end looks pretty goofy, but works!  Once my arms are through, then I put my head through, then jump up and down like an idiot and the body tube falls in to place.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Same for my maille. The jumping around at the end looks pretty goofy, but works!  Once my arms are through, then I put my head through, then jump up and down like an idiot and the body tube falls in to place.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---judging by some of the period artwork I've seen where knights were bent in half as they pulled on hauberks.

Ulrich, you will want to practice putting it on by yourself- keep at it til you can do it by yourself.  Normally, knights had squires to assist with the armoring but we don't, so we must learn to make do.

--- End quote ---

Practice makes progress or perfect Sir Ulrich.  You will get the hang of it.  ;)

Sir Ulrich:
Guess I should practice getting my hauberk on and off then, I've only worn it 2 times so it's practically brand new still apart from me removing some of the damaged rings to replace them. I think i'll start that tomorrow cause I am going to a faire this weekend. Only issue is the long hair which can get tangled in it rather easily, though that padded coif I have from MRL works well with keeping the maille off my hair, only issue is it's tan and I dont like my stuff being all dirty from the maille. Guess i'll dye it black afterward.
Do have one question, should I put my coif on first or my hauberk on over the coif? I dont want the thing flapping around so I think putting the coif on first then the hauberk would work.

Sir Edward:

For the hair, I find it helps to always put on the padded arming cap (and fold my hair under to it's all contained) before putting on the mail, even if I plan to let my hair down afterward. From a fellow long-haired guy, I highly recommend this. :)

You can wear the coif either way, over or under the hauberk. Both are period. A lot of knights would wear it under for exactly that reason, to keep it from flapping. If you look early enough in the period, the coifs were often built into the hauberk anyway, and wearing it under the hauberk can simulate this. So it's entirely up to you. But I'm finding that wearing it over the hauberk but under the surcoat pretty much does the same thing.

Sir Wolf:
put on your arming cap and put on your coif first. it will hid the mantle and look like the hauberk is attached to the coif. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version