Main > The Armoury

Gambesons from MATULS

<< < (9/11) > >>

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---put on your arming cap and put on your coif first. it will hid the mantle and look like the hauberk is attached to the coif.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---For the hair, I find it helps to always put on the padded arming cap (and fold my hair under to it's all contained) before putting on the mail, even if I plan to let my hair down afterward. From a fellow long-haired guy, I highly recommend this.
--- End quote ---

Keep the hair out of the mail is the point here.  I also want to mention that an arming cap also helps with the helmet fitting especially dealing with liners.

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2012-05-17, 12:00:10 ---
You can wear the coif either way, over or under the hauberk. Both are period. A lot of knights would wear it under for exactly that reason, to keep it from flapping. If you look early enough in the period, the coifs were often built into the hauberk anyway, and wearing it under the hauberk can simulate this. So it's entirely up to you. But I'm finding that wearing it over the hauberk but under the surcoat pretty much does the same thing.

--- End quote ---

For my riveted hauberk, I have a butted coif- I typically wear the coif over top of the hauberk but under the surcoat - for my Templar impression this works well as they wore hauberks w/integrated coifs for the most part.  Now that I have that setup in butted aluminum, I'm most likely going to get rid of the butted steel coif and end up with a riveted one to match the hauberk eventually.  If you have long hair, tie it up in your arming cap first, then pull the hauberk on- it'll slide a lot smoother over your head- and believe it or not, a knight's arming cap would've gotten a lot dirtier, from sweat and blood while on campaign as well as pulling oiled steel off and on repeatedly.

I used to wear the same gear to every Faire for a whole season...I stopped doing it because I don't particularly like smelling gamey as the season wore on.  lol

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---For my riveted hauberk, I have a butted coif- I typically wear the coif over top of the hauberk but under the surcoat - for my Templar impression this works well as they wore hauberks w/integrated coifs for the most part.  Now that I have that setup in butted aluminum, I'm most likely going to get rid of the butted steel coif and end up with a riveted one to match the hauberk eventually.  If you have long hair, tie it up in your arming cap first, then pull the hauberk on- it'll slide a lot smoother over your head- and believe it or not, a knight's arming cap would've gotten a lot dirtier, from sweat and blood while on campaign as well as pulling oiled steel off and on repeatedly.

--- End quote ---

Yep, keep these points in mind Sir Ulrich, they will help you.

Sir Ulrich:
Only problem is my coif and hauberk dont match so it would look a bit odd. but I still am wearing it under the hauberk as I have no surcoat that fits me at the moment. Need to resize the templar one I currently have but I have been unable to find a tailor for it. Going to that faire this weekend so it's a bit too late to resize it right now, but the weather is supposed to be good for the medieval faire so it doesnt matter really. Prolly gonna wear my hauberk with my new shield a coif and kettle helm. Hopefully the coif will fit under the kettle helm. I'll take some pics when I go it down tomorrow.

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---Only problem is my coif and hauberk dont match so it would look a bit odd. but I still am wearing it under the hauberk as I have no surcoat that fits me at the moment. Need to resize the templar one I currently have but I have been unable to find a tailor for it. Going to that faire this weekend so it's a bit too late to resize it right now, but the weather is supposed to be good for the medieval faire so it doesnt matter really. Prolly gonna wear my hauberk with my new shield a coif and kettle helm. Hopefully the coif will fit under the kettle helm. I'll take some pics when I go it down tomorrow.

--- End quote ---

That is good, good luck and make sure that the coif, arming cap, helm and surcoat fit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version