Main > The Armoury

Gambesons from MATULS

<< < (7/11) > >>

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---What Joshua said.  It is much easier to deal with if you are more used to it.  I'm considering doing my walks with a hauberk on just to get used to the weight of it again.  I typically wear it around the house for extended periods...or rather, I used to.  I've gotten very lazy these last couple of years.
--- End quote ---

Correct, the same idea applies for wearing kits for physical conditioning.

--- Quote ---It's just maille I wear and it's the wings that flap around that make it uncomfortable to wear, make it feel excessively heavy. For the plate it's borrowed SCA combat plate I got at the medieval club that isnt even mine to begin with, doesnt fit me at all cause I am thinner than average. I need custom plate no matter what.

Yeah I would wear mine more often if I could get it on without assistance. I literally need 2 people to help hold it up so I can squirm my way into it. Still havent figured out how to get it on without assistance.
--- End quote ---

Have you tried to lay the bottom of the hauberk on the ground first, then grab the hauberk by the end and push head first then shake it around until you feel it on the shoulders then the arms go last?  That should do it. 

Concerning plate armor, yes get custom made but also work out when you can.  That can make the difference.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2012-05-15, 15:42:10 ---Yeah I would wear mine more often if I could get it on without assistance. I literally need 2 people to help hold it up so I can squirm my way into it. Still havent figured out how to get it on without assistance.

--- End quote ---

Put a long string through a couple rings on the bottom of the hauberk. When you put it on overhead like a shirt, pull down gently on the strings and it will, most of the time, tug loose any snagging rivets. Then just take out the strings once it's on.

Sir Brian:
I usually roll and bunch up the bottom half like a regular shirt, put my arms all the way through while bending over at the waist then put my head through the neck opening, stand upright and let gravity do the rest with a few vertical hops to get the maille situated correctly.  ;)

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2012-05-16, 07:32:41 ---I usually roll and bunch up the bottom half like a regular shirt, put my arms all the way through while bending over at the waist then put my head through the neck opening, stand upright and let gravity do the rest with a few vertical hops to get the maille situated correctly.  ;)

--- End quote ---

Same for my maille. The jumping around at the end looks pretty goofy, but works!  Once my arms are through, then I put my head through, then jump up and down like an idiot and the body tube falls in to place.

Sir Edward:

Yeah, I'm having to learn these tricks now too. I'm so used to my butted aluminum, which just slides right on with almost no resistance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version