Main > The Armoury

Gambesons from MATULS

<< < (6/11) > >>

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2012-05-14, 14:40:42 ---That's true, gambesons under armor don't need to be very thick. Another thing I can recommend is to soak yourself in the arming garments if it's a particularly hot day. .... ......but pouring water all down your gambeson will get it started, and then you'll adjust to it and it'll start helping.
--- End quote ---

Or you can just soak a cotton undershirt and then wring it out before putting on your gambeson. You could also modify a t-shirt as I did with pockets to hold flat ice packets which will get you an additional 2-4 hours depending on the temperature, of course you'll actually shiver with cold as you first put your armor on. ;)

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2012-05-14, 02:04:25 ---I used to be in shape back in 2009-2010 and hiked regularly then some sh** happened and well lets see then I did nothing really for like 6 months due to depression and well that saps your strength and willpower to do anything really. Heat also saps my strength as does uncomfortable clothing and armor. I'm 100% serious, the legs they had me wear were like 5 sizes too big for me and hung by a belt rather than a pourpoint. Also I tend to get intimidated when people hit with full force contact, thats not something I am into in all honesty, whenever I duel usually I do light force contact with blunted steel weapons. Yet I did totally fine when I fought bare chested with a sword and shield, didn't tire that much that way. To put it blunt and honestly, heat saps my strength really easily and I dont know why. I did better the second time round though, so I think I may try it again despite myself HATING the armor I had to wear.

--- End quote ---

I know what you mean, heat is really rough on me too, I'm naturally warm so the heat amps it up even more. I can start sweating before I've even got a full harness on. I do drink like a camel, though.

If the armor isn't comfortable, it's not sized right, or something else is wrong. Is it plate? Post some pictures of it on, and maybe we can give some feedback. I think you should have a go at making a gambeson. In the pics I posted recently with my "full plate" harness, I'm wearing single-layer linen chausses, braies, a t-shirt, and an arming coat - which has no padding, it's just a thick two-layer garment with arming points and lace-tight sleeves. With mail, you'll want more padding than plate since the mail, of course, gives, where plate does not. But you don't need a silly amount, either.

For contact force, if you're sparring / dueling with somebody and they're hitting too hard, tell them to scale back the power. If they won't, don't continue. If they don't respect your wishes for a safe battle, they are not worth the battle.

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---Or you can just soak a cotton undershirt and then wring it out before putting on your gambeson. You could also modify a t-shirt as I did with pockets to hold flat ice packets which will get you an additional 2-4 hours depending on the temperature, of course you'll actually shiver with cold as you first put your armor on.
--- End quote ---

Good idea.

--- Quote ---I know what you mean, heat is really rough on me too, I'm naturally warm so the heat amps it up even more. I can start sweating before I've even got a full harness on. I do drink like a camel, though.

If the armor isn't comfortable, it's not sized right, or something else is wrong. Is it plate? Post some pictures of it on, and maybe we can give some feedback. I think you should have a go at making a gambeson. In the pics I posted recently with my "full plate" harness, I'm wearing single-layer linen chausses, braies, a t-shirt, and an arming coat - which has no padding, it's just a thick two-layer garment with arming points and lace-tight sleeves. With mail, you'll want more padding than plate since the mail, of course, gives, where plate does not. But you don't need a silly amount, either.

For contact force, if you're sparring / dueling with somebody and they're hitting too hard, tell them to scale back the power. If they won't, don't continue. If they don't respect your wishes for a safe battle, they are not worth the battle.
--- End quote ---

I agree on that.  ;)

Sir William:
What Joshua said.  It is much easier to deal with if you are more used to it.  I'm considering doing my walks with a hauberk on just to get used to the weight of it again.  I typically wear it around the house for extended periods...or rather, I used to.  I've gotten very lazy these last couple of years.

Sir Ulrich:
It's just maille I wear and it's the wings that flap around that make it uncomfortable to wear, make it feel excessively heavy. For the plate it's borrowed SCA combat plate I got at the medieval club that isnt even mine to begin with, doesnt fit me at all cause I am thinner than average. I need custom plate no matter what.

Yeah I would wear mine more often if I could get it on without assistance. I literally need 2 people to help hold it up so I can squirm my way into it. Still havent figured out how to get it on without assistance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version