Main > The Armoury

Gambesons from MATULS

<< < (5/11) > >>

Sir Ulrich:
Yeah I might consider some custom work if I can find a proper period pattern for a 13th century gambeson. All the SCA fighters I talked to said a few layers of linen is all you really need for a gambeson under maille or plate and not the "stuffing" as the stuffing is relatively unnecessary unless you're gonna wear it as stand alone armor.

Joshua Santana:
All I can say Sir Ulrich is this:  Go for the historically accurate gambeson.  When you heat up, drink water, that helps in cooling down (do not take caffeine before a fight less end up being spastic during the fight)  Finally, up to you whether you want the padding or not.  Since you have mail, I would opt for the few linen layers.

Sir Edward:

That's true, gambesons under armor don't need to be very thick. Another thing I can recommend is to soak yourself in the arming garments if it's a particularly hot day. Part of what kept knights cool back in the day is that the gambeson under the mail would get soaked with sweat, and transmit the heat to the outer layer where it would be evaporating. The problem is that it takes time for this process to start. It'll feel really uncomfortable at first, but pouring water all down your gambeson will get it started, and then you'll adjust to it and it'll start helping.

Thorsteinn:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2012-05-14, 14:40:42 ---That's true, gambesons under armor don't need to be very thick. Another thing I can recommend is to soak yourself in the arming garments if it's a particularly hot day. .... ......but pouring water all down your gambeson will get it started, and then you'll adjust to it and it'll start helping.

--- End quote ---

>:( >:( >:(

I KNEW I forgot something this weekend. A few bottles of water and I could have fixed that on the field.

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---That's true, gambesons under armor don't need to be very thick. Another thing I can recommend is to soak yourself in the arming garments if it's a particularly hot day. Part of what kept knights cool back in the day is that the gambeson under the mail would get soaked with sweat, and transmit the heat to the outer layer where it would be evaporating. The problem is that it takes time for this process to start. It'll feel really uncomfortable at first, but pouring water all down your gambeson will get it started, and then you'll adjust to it and it'll start helping.
--- End quote ---

I can say the same idea applies to me wearing an arming doublet on a hot, sunny day.  The only difference I can say is that the voiders would be the only parts that would heat up.  But water is recommended.  Another idea would be to train outdoors with a kit or harness on to make the adjustments to both heat, soaking the sweat and as physical conditioning (which is how I believe Knights of old survived summer days), but bring water as always.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version