Main > The Armoury

Gambesons from MATULS

<< < (4/11) > >>

Sir Edward:

Sir James brings up a good point. However, I'd like to point out that a lot of the fatigue that people feel often comes from the body having to work harder at shedding heat. You can practice longer and harder if you can manage body heat better. So I wouldn't overlook this.

However, sometimes it's also the way in which you fight. I used to get exhausted in seconds when I first got started with the fighting. I don't think I'm all that much better conditioned now, only slightly. I think the biggest difference comes from learning to fight correctly, and to relax and not tense up. You can burn twice as much energy if you move inefficiently and stay tense.

Sir Ulrich:
Yeah I think I may just go with the Matlus gambeson because well thats the EXACT design I want and I am tired of settling for ahistorical stuff or stuff from the wrong period just cause they cater to SCA fighting crowd which I have little interest in.

I got very little tolerance for the heat, thats the problem I have, in cold weather I can exert myself better than in hot weather. I am able to fight in medieval SCA style combat better WITHOUT a gambeson than I am WITH one due to the gambeson being TOO hot. In fact when I fight WITH a linen shirt on the sweat being wicked away by the linen is quite cool and refreshing, I assume the same would be with a gambeson that was linen. I get tired EASILY when it's hot outside, and everyone I talked to at the SCA thing said linen works wonders there. When I take stimulants like caffeine I usually can fight much easier and get less tired so maybe I should do that before fighting?

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2012-05-13, 23:46:26 ---When I take stimulants like caffeine I usually can fight much easier and get less tired so maybe I should do that before fighting?

--- End quote ---

No.  Taking stimulants prior to any activity that will already put your heartrate at elevated levels is a bad idea and potentially dangerous, especially if you're not already in good shape.  If you're getting that tired from heat and/or not drinking caffeine prior to exertion, you really should consider getting yourself in to good cardiovascular condition first and foremost.  One, it's good for you in general, and two, it will give you a distinct advantage over the typical overweight reenactor who can't run 100 yards in armor without dying.  Remember, in period, knights weren't out of shape, they were professional warriors. They're lives literally depended on being in shape just as much as they depended on their training.  In my opinion, this is an aspect often overlooked by modern reenactor's.  Being skinny does not equal being in shape either.  If you want to fully embody the knightly ideal, don't get lazy when it comes to fitness.  Long story short, please don't rely on chemicals to boost performance and potentially injure yourself.

Sir Ulrich:
I used to be in shape back in 2009-2010 and hiked regularly then some sh** happened and well lets see then I did nothing really for like 6 months due to depression and well that saps your strength and willpower to do anything really. Heat also saps my strength as does uncomfortable clothing and armor. I'm 100% serious, the legs they had me wear were like 5 sizes too big for me and hung by a belt rather than a pourpoint. Also I tend to get intimidated when people hit with full force contact, thats not something I am into in all honesty, whenever I duel usually I do light force contact with blunted steel weapons. Yet I did totally fine when I fought bare chested with a sword and shield, didn't tire that much that way. To put it blunt and honestly, heat saps my strength really easily and I dont know why. I did better the second time round though, so I think I may try it again despite myself HATING the armor I had to wear.

Thorsteinn:

Me in my gambeseon I made from 3 layers of linen I got from Fabric-Store.com.

It is my very favorite piece of armour. I too have heat isses and fought in a hot, humid, & dusty SCA War this weekend. This gambeseon is the reason why.

Now for a period helm liner backed with sorbothane.

And yes, dropping 22.5 lbs and using my inhaler helps too. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version