Main > The Armoury

Gambesons from MATULS

<< < (3/11) > >>

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---I think Sir Ulrich is looking specifically for the Maciejowski Style 13th century gambeson like these:
http://www.gambeson.pl/medieval-on-line-shop/12th-13th-century-gambesons/gambeson-gm13-c2.html
or
http://www.matuls.pl/index.php?IDP=1&Lng=en&IDProdukt=46&IDKategoria=4&IDPodkategoria=6
--- End quote ---

Yes I agree.

Sir Ulrich:
I'd get that if it had gone down to the knees, my issue is finding a gambeson that goes down to the knees so I dont have to wear padded chausses or cuisses. Last thing I need is overheating at the faire, yet today I was the boardwalk in a trenchcoat (in 2 additional layers cause I refuse to wear sunscreen) in the hot sun so I am pretty tolerant, it's just that when it comes to actual fighting I get really tired quickly. Considering it's cheap I may just pick it up if I cant find anything else but the not going down to my knees would be an issue. Also my current gambeson has tube sleeves so tailoring maille for it is impossible. I'm really tired of maciejowski bible stuff being really hard to find in the USA. I dont want too thick a gambeson because it would be too hot. It's hard to find a gambeson thats fit for the 1200s.

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2012-05-12, 20:42:43 ---I'd get that if it had gone down to the knees, my issue is finding a gambeson that goes down to the knees so I dont have to wear padded chausses or cuisses. Last thing I need is overheating at the faire, yet today I was the boardwalk in a trenchcoat (in 2 additional layers cause I refuse to wear sunscreen) in the hot sun so I am pretty tolerant, it's just that when it comes to actual fighting I get really tired quickly. Considering it's cheap I may just pick it up if I cant find anything else but the not going down to my knees would be an issue. Also my current gambeson has tube sleeves so tailoring maille for it is impossible. I'm really tired of maciejowski bible stuff being really hard to find in the USA. I dont want too thick a gambeson because it would be too hot. It's hard to find a gambeson thats fit for the 1200s.

--- End quote ---

Availability in the USA is difficult sometimes because it seems that most stuff in the US is catered towards the SCA crowd, not the living history or re-enactor crowd.  SCA are the most numerous consumers of historically-based goods here, so commercially it makes sense that most armories and clothing shops cater to their needs first and foremost (sadly you'll also notice that they don't cater to skinny or athletically built people in the US either when it comes to off-the-rack goods, but that's a whole different US issue ;) ).  Unfortunately, that means a lot of attention to detail when it comes to historical appropriateness for a given time period goes out the window in favor of what works better to do rattan fighting in. 

The truth of the matter is, when it comes to very specific garments or pieces of armor, you either have to go overseas to get them, or be prepared to go the custom built or custom sewn route here, and that translates in to $$$.  I face a similar problem.  None of the go-to production armorers in the US really make anything remotely historically accurate for the late 14th century.  Most of their stuff has compromised historical details for modern practicality or SCA rules compliance, or it's just not shaped correctly to save money.  I either had to go overseas or go custom.  I figured since I was going to have to spend the cash anyway, I might as well go custom and ensure everything I get fits and moves properly.  You may find you want to go the custom route if you end up not being comfortable with the overseas option.

If you want to go overseas though, Matul's, and the others suggested above are some of your best bets.

Sir Gerard de Rodes:
I can recomend Matuls. Thier items are good quality and from what I`ve heard thier service is good also.
G.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2012-05-12, 20:42:43 ---yet today I was the boardwalk in a trenchcoat (in 2 additional layers cause I refuse to wear sunscreen) in the hot sun so I am pretty tolerant
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2012-05-12, 20:42:43 ---it's just that when it comes to actual fighting I get really tired quickly

--- End quote ---

I know I'm taking this out of context, but the two statements made me think a bit. If it's not the layers that make you tired, but the fighting, I'm not sure the material of the gambeson will make any difference. It might be an issue of, with all due respect, athletic ability. Can you fight, without a gambeson, for the amount of time you think you'll be able to fight with a linen one? Linen or polyfill (I have both), I find myself getting slower by the minute after maybe 10 or 15 minutes of sparring. The polyfill is, without a doubt, warmer than the linen, but if the issue is exhaustion and not body temperature, the material probably won't make a difference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version