"The most difficult thing in the world is to know how to do a thing and to watch someone else do it wrong without comment."
                -- Theodore H. White

Author Topic: Langes Messer from Odinblades (John Lundemo)  (Read 18262 times)

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
Langes Messer from Odinblades (John Lundemo)
« on: 2008-06-13, 02:55:07 »
So John Lundemo of Odinblades called me this week to discuss the custom messer he's doing for me. I got my name on his list last summer, and it's finally my turn. I'm psyched. He's making a langes messer for me inspired by the images in Paulus Kal. I asked him to try making the hilt scales out of bone instead of wood, and he said he's going to experiment. He's worried that bone may be too brittle, and if it is, he'll use walnut instead.

I picked John Lundemo for this project because I've seen the crazy cool curved fantasy blades he's made before, and the Paulus Kal images have that same kind of fantasy blade look to them (though they're historical). I figured John would be a good candidate for pulling that off.
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Langes Messer from Odinblades (John Lundemo)
« Reply #1 on: 2008-06-13, 03:58:50 »

Wow, you're making out like a bandit right now, with all the cool new toys in the works. I can't wait to see it (and handle it). I've thought about getting a messer at some point myself; I just haven't bitten the bullet yet, so to speak. That is a pretty wicked looking blade. The bone hilt sounds like a cool idea. It can probably work, depending on the bone material he can get. I have a couple of pieces with bone grips that are very nicely done, though not historical designs.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #2 on: 2008-06-13, 05:31:25 »

Wow, you're making out like a bandit right now, with all the cool new toys in the works.

Yeah, its a little ridiculous, especially with my plans on buying a new place. I wouldn't have minded if John took a little longer before finishing the messer so that I could have put off the payment (I'd already put half down last summer). Ah, well, at least when I buy the new place it will be well armed. :)

I can't wait to see it (and handle it). I've thought about getting a messer at some point myself; I just haven't bitten the bullet yet, so to speak.

I actually have another messer on commission. Yeah, go ahead and say it: I have a problem. :)

Its by Jan Chodkiewicz in Poland. Here's his website:
http://ensifer.carbonmade.com/

He's posted some really nice stuff up on myArmoury.com. I'd contacted him last Fall, and he gave me an incredibly reasonable price quote, and he also said he did not want to accept any payment until he was done. He said he'd probably finish around September/October, and at that time he'd send me high res pics. If the product was to my liking, I could pay him, and if he didn't do it right, I don't have to pay him. You really can't beat that kind of business ethics, huh?

He also really wanted to make a historical scabbard with a by knife in it, and I liked his work so far, so I couldn't turn that down.

The only bummer is that he quoted me the price in Euros... and the declining price of the USD means my commission only gets more and more expensive as time goes on. :(
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2008-06-13, 13:30:07 »
Ah, well, at least when I buy the new place it will be well armed. :)

True enough! Are you going to plan an interesting display for them, or keep them tucked away?

I actually have another messer on commission. Yeah, go ahead and say it: I have a problem. :)

Its by Jan Chodkiewicz in Poland. Here's his website:
http://ensifer.carbonmade.com/

I've never seen his website before. It looks like he does some beautiful work. Some of it looks very similar to Albion. I like how he's showing some of the examples of his work, with a wooden chest as a backdrop and the like. The photography looks great.

So many temptations, so little money. :)

Sir Ed T. Toton III

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2008-06-16, 14:35:35 »
Ah, well, at least when I buy the new place it will be well armed. :)

True enough! Are you going to plan an interesting display for them, or keep them tucked away?

Depends on the place I get and how much room I have. Ideally I'd like to have a room dedicated to my arms and armor, but which will only be seen if I invite you into it. But we'll see.

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #5 on: 2008-06-20, 02:24:18 »
John called me up today, and he's decided that the bone just isn't going to work, so we're going with wood. Too bad, though, because I really liked the idea.

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2008-07-29, 01:54:00 »
So John just called me today to confirm my address, as he was about to go to the post office with my sword! Looks like it'll be here soon.

I admit to being a little nervous... I have no doubt that the blade will be amazing, but I'm a little concerned that the hilt won't be as historically inspired as I like. Some of John's historical pieces are great, but others have really missed the mark in my eye, so I'm crossing my fingers.

On a separate note, Arms and Armor just charged my credit card a couple days ago, so I assume that means I'll be receiving a shipment from them soon as well. Score!

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #7 on: 2008-07-29, 02:46:43 »
Awesome!! I look forward to seeing them both! I still haven't taken the plunge on a messer yet myself. So in my case, it'll be useful to compare the ones you've bought, as a basis for selecting one in the future. Though I must say, I like David's Albion quite a bit.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #8 on: 2008-07-31, 05:07:01 »
It arrived...

And that's all I'm saying for right now. :)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #9 on: 2008-07-31, 14:07:38 »

Awww, no pictures?? :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #10 on: 2008-07-31, 15:49:16 »

Awww, no pictures?? :)

Patience. For the Jedi, it is time to sleep as well. Or at least it was when I posted the above, because I'd just gotten home from work, and it was after midnight. :)

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #11 on: 2008-07-31, 15:52:29 »
Here it is...

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #12 on: 2008-07-31, 15:53:23 »
Another shot, and the inspiration...

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #13 on: 2008-07-31, 16:09:26 »

Wow, gorgeous :)

How does it handle? How does the craftsmanship look? We'll have to have another cutting party so you can put it through its paces (well, so we can help you do so, anyway) :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #14 on: 2008-07-31, 17:19:59 »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o