"The elevator to success is out of order. You'll have to use the stairs... one step at a time."
                -- Joe Girard

Author Topic: Langes Messer from Odinblades (John Lundemo)  (Read 18212 times)

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Langes Messer from Odinblades (John Lundemo)
« Reply #15 on: 2008-08-01, 02:24:12 »
The craftsmanship is top notch. John really captured the feel of the fechtbuch images while still fulfilling the specs I asked for.

It handles pretty well. It is a little on the heavy side for a typical messer (at 2 lbs 14 oz), and when I first pulled it out of the box, that was a little disappointing. However, even though I say that, it still handles incredibly well for a *sword*, and if I think of this as more of a true falchion it handles very nicely. It has a nice "flow" to movement, and a good amount of authority. It feels like the types of sword that were common for fighting against mail clad opponents, or from horseback.

The fact that it isn't quite as light as typical messers is largely my fault. I should have requested a slightly smaller sword (I gave John the measurements), and John had to balance my measurements, the proportions of the image (with the wide "clip"), and the necessity of making sure the narrow point wasn't fragile. I should have been more specific in what I wanted, because he definately has the ability to do one much lighter. Having said that, once I started doing some solo work with it, I decided I really like it anyway. It really is a very nice sword, even if it isn't quite the type that you'd use for fencing in the style of Hans Lecküchner. (Performing an entrüsthau, the messer variant of the zwerchhau, isn't very natural, but most other typical cuts and attacks are just fine.)

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

That was my reaction when I tried test cutting with this thing today. Wow.

I suspected it'd be a really good cutter, but this thing excelled beyond what I could have expected. Quite simply, this sword is the absolute best cutting weapon I've ever used. I've done test cutting with all sorts of longswords, katana, sabres, and so forth. Not a single one came close to the ease in which this thing slices through targets. It even blows away David's Albion messer, which is an amazing cutter in its own right.

I had my cutting stand at VAF, and a couple of the narrow, light pool noodles. You know, the ones that are so light that you can't cut them when they're free-standing because they keep bending over. The ones that I think are pretty much worthless as a test cutting medium due to the fact that you have to modify your technique so much that it isn't even martial arts anymore. Well, this sword not only sliced through them, but I barely had to even move to do it. It was honestly a little shocking, and quite frankly, a little frightening how easy it was. David had the exact same experience.

John Lundemo called me today to ask me how I liked it. While we were chatting, he told me about when he finished the blade alone and wanted to test the edge and durability, so he got a heavy plastic trashcan (the kind you put out for the garbage truck to pick up) and destroyed it with the sword. He said that this is possibly among the best cutting swords he's ever made.

So, I for one, am quite impressed. Normally, raw cutting ability means the sword has to sacrifice something else. In this case, yes, the sword is a little on the heavy side, but not so much that it sacrifices function.

I cannot wait until I have a yard to do some serious tatami cutting with this!
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #16 on: 2008-08-01, 12:57:04 »

That's great! I can't wait to see it. I won't be in class next week, of course, so I'll have to see it another time. So this one took about a year?

Speaking of having a yard, how's that progressing?
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #17 on: 2008-08-01, 13:36:59 »
So this one took about a year?

Yep, almost on the nose. I first contacted John last August, I believe.

Speaking of having a yard, how's that progressing?

Ugh. Same as before: Completely up in the air. Since I bid on a short sale, they won't get back to me for 4-6 weeks. Its been four at this point, so I'm hoping to hear from them soon.
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #18 on: 2008-08-01, 15:31:15 »

Yeah, that's the problem with short sales. Good luck (keeping fingers crossed).
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )