Main > The Armoury

The "Albion" sword, by Albion

<< < (6/9) > >>

Sir Edward:
What's amusing is that I'm totally geeking out over this, but I don't know how many folks were fans of the same show. Most of the people I talk to never saw Robin of Sherwood back in the '80s. Some of the younger crowd wasn't alive yet or old enough.

For me, it was highly influential in my early sword collecting. I was a teen when it was on. And of course "Albion" was at the center stage, since it was Robin's sword, given to him to fight evil. Something that was unique about this particular version of Robin Hood was that while it did throw in some magic/fantasy, it was extremely light and infrequent, and held true to some of the less commonly know (today) mythology from that part of the world. The sword was supposedly made by Wayland the Smith as one of the seven swords of Wayland, charged with both the powers of light and darkness (thus it's up to the person who uses it). It was given to Robin by Herne the Hunter, or rather a man who embodies that persona.

Like I said, there's not a lot of fantasy magic type stuff, but there's some. The first episode's villain is a sorcerer. In the third season they find camelot, and there's an episode with some devil worshippers who reunite all seven swords and attempt to bring Lucifer into the world with them. And that's about it, other than the more mystical scenes with Herne giving advice to Robin. Otherwise most episodes deal with the typical sorts of things, the villainy of the sheriff, Richard the Lionheart coming through town, visits from prince/king John, a run-in with some Templars, and so on.

By today's standards it's a bit dated, of course. But it had its own unique style, and didn't fall into the trap of making everyone look like they stepped out of Lord of the Rings or other fantasy movies. It was more convincing of being a period reproduction, even with its costume armor. :)

Anyway, here are the stats:

Overall Length = 38 ¾ inches  (98.42 cm)
Blade Length = 31 inches  (78.74 cm)
Hilt Length = 7 ¾ inches  (19.68 cm)
Grip Length = 5 inches  (12.7 cm)
Blade Thickness at base = 0.24 inches  (0.61 cm)
Blade Width at base = 2 inches  (5.08 cm)
Guard Width  = 7 ¼ inches  (18.41 cm)
Weight = 3.28 lbs  (1.49 kg)
Center of Gravity = 2 ¾ inches from guard  (7 cm)

Joshua Santana:
Very nice!  I like the pictures and honestly, that is one good looking sword right there!   ;D

Sir James A:
Congratulations, Sir Edward. That's a nice looking sword.

Sir Edward:

Close-up of the hilt:

Sir Brian:
You are going to bring it with you sometime during one of our demos right? I promise not to drool on it.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version