Main > The Armoury

Help me decide on a shield!

<< < (5/7) > >>

Sir Matthew:

--- Quote from: Leganoth on 2011-08-27, 20:18:43 ---Anyways subject of armor the cuirass i was going to get is 18 guage steel, is that thick thin strong or what

--- End quote ---
That is very thin, if you are going for looks and faire wear it should be fine. I would not wear it for any sort of combat though. My Peascod is 14 gauge on the breast and 16 on the back and tassets. With steel guage, the smaller the number, the thicker it is.

Leganoth:

--- Quote from: Sir Matthew on 2011-08-28, 14:04:29 ---
--- Quote from: Leganoth on 2011-08-27, 20:18:43 ---Anyways subject of armor the cuirass i was going to get is 18 guage steel, is that thick thin strong or what

--- End quote ---
That is very thin, if you are going for looks and faire wear it should be fine. I would not wear it for any sort of combat though. My Peascod is 14 gauge on the breast and 16 on the back and tassets. With steel guage, the smaller the number, the thicker it is.

--- End quote ---

Well i doubt i can find a good breastplate/backplate sold as one for under 200 dollars

Sir William:
A breastplate by itself, you can, Leganoth.  Besides, you wouldn't have seen a full cuirass prior to the 15th Century anyways if I'm not mistaken, and you did say you were shooting for 14th C?

Sir Edward:

If you're aiming for 14th C, simple globose breastplates started appearing in the middle of the century. These can actually be pretty affordable. In fact, one cheap way to do it is to get the GDFB breastplate, and remove the plackart (the lower plate), and it looks like a decent globose breastplate.

Sir William:
I've seen a few used ones going for under $200 on armour archive, 16ga simple globose style.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version