Main > The Armoury

Help on Gothic Harness!

<< < (13/24) > >>

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2011-05-20, 13:53:40 ---
--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2011-05-20, 13:39:49 ---I recommend these for any arming points:
http://historicenterprises.com/arming-doublet-point-reinforces-leather-p-1298.html?cPath=101_135

At $1 each, you can't beat the price. They also don't need to be attached to the arming clothes, so you just untie them and toss it in the washing machine. The 4 holes spread the load on the fabric out to reduce the chance of tearing the fabric. It basically points from the outside in, then from the inside back out (I can get pics, I think my description makes no sense) and the 4 holes make the arming points themselves stay in place on the arming clothes, which means you don't have to sew the leather at all.

--- End quote ---

Those look pretty good. I wonder how well the Revival cotte will take them. It might be OK with the grommets being the only part that's attached, since that's how I did the voiders (lots of small grommets), but since there's only 4 taking all the weight of the legs for each pointing, I'm still cautious. The linen they used really isn't that strong. I'd have no fear at all on the pourpoint. :)

--- End quote ---

Sorry, I should have clarified about the points. I have the revival pourpoint that I will have my legs pointed to. The points with the leather tabs are for the shoulders, arms, a mail skirt, and the voiders; it will be on my MRL gambeson (since it's cheap enough to test with before mutilating a good one). I have an idea with the mail skirt (and possibly voiders) to not need lots of small points; if it works, I'll post a how-to thread about it.

Joshua Santana:
Sir James and Sir Edward:  Allow me to summarize your advice.  You both are suggesting that I should purchase an arming cotte with arming points and leather pointers to reduce wear and tear on the garment and a hint of advice to go with the pourpoint.

Does this mean that I will have to purchase this?

and this?

And another thing to consider, supposed if I got the Italian Harness, would these help at all?   Or should I get this?

or this?

Sir Edward:

I like the revival arming cotte a lot. But here's the two main issues to consider with it:  First the strength of the linen as I outlined earlier. As long as you don't abuse it, it should hold up. The other is that they mount the points for the legs on it very low. Both sets of legs I have (Merc Tailor and GDFB) need the points to be higher, so I had to attach new ones.

The revival pourpoint is nice and strong, and has the points at a nicer height. I haven't started using it yet (just got it after the last time I armored up), but wearing it over the arming cotte should work fine. It won't stretch as much and so it should do a little better of a job pulling the weight up off your legs.

When we start doing armored combat in class again next week, I want to try using them together. We'll see how it goes.

Sir James A:
You can make do with just a gambeson/arming coat and point the legs to it, but I've tried it, and found it much less comfortable. Since the arming coat sits away from your body and moves when you move, the legs are much more "floppy and free" just attached to the gambeson; attaching it to the inside of the gambeson helps, but still isn't optimal.

What seems to be the ideal for a white harness ("full plate") suit is to have the pourpoint underneath. It's a very close-fitted vest (as you posted the picture of), and the legs point to it - if your legs point in two places (front and sides) it works MUCH better. I've worn the legs to my harness a number of times trying this out. I've found that the pourpoint works much better underneath the arming coat, as it stays closer to your body and can be worn more snugly.  The straps on the leg armor that go around your legs and knees really don't do much except for keep the armor from gapping away from your body during movement; the weight is all supported from the points at the top, and as Sir Edward said, the location of the points is very important.

Over top of the pourpoint, you have your arming coat. This is pointed for whatever else needed; spaulders, voiders, arms, etc. Gothic armor tends to be attached with points, and Italian armor tends to be attached more by straps; the pauldrons will strap to the gorget and will buckle around the arms; the arms themselves will be closed upper and lower and buckled inside the elbow, if fitted properly they won't move around even without pointing. In that case, the arming coat is there simply for padding (and possibly voiders if you use any), as the pourpoint is not padded at all.

If you haven't seen this (http://www.selohaar.org/essays/arming.htm), it explains things very well, and is based off of period documentation.

Sir Wolf:
bah!

i wear a linen porpoint to hold up my hosen. then i wear my arming jacket over that. everything points to it. (you can see the white peeking out the front under teh red arming jacket.

http://www.replications.com/greys/Image%20Gallery/2005/MTT/full/31.jpg

http://www.replications.com/greys/Image%20Gallery/2005/MTT/full/11.jpg

the icefalcons look too bulky and not body formed enough i think

ok weird, the first image isn't showing up, but it shows up when i try to fix the msg. can everyone see 2 pictures?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version