Main > The Armoury

Help on Gothic Harness!

<< < (12/24) > >>

Joshua Santana:
Thank you everyone!

I am aware that the German and Italian Medieval Martial Arts are similar with little differences. 

I myself am leaning towards the 15th Century Italian Harness because of my personal preference for tad bit heavy armor (including tad bit heavy swords!)  Also that the Italian Harness bears a huge resemblance to the armor of Martin the Warrior Mouse, one of my childhood heroes.  And I feel that a harness or even a sword must bear symbolic or significant importance as a reminder of what we believe in and what we fight for. Or even bear a symbolic meaning of what values we embody or are striving for (symbolic).  I find myself leaning more towards the Italian not just for the aforementioned reason but every time I see an Armet Helmet, I see what Honor was represented in the 15th Century.  I cannot name it, but I feel in my heart that is what I should go for.  Because it may be a good example of how a harness style can be a symbolic representation of Chivalry.  The same thing can be said concerning the type of longsword. 

But I will have a talk with my teachers at SIGMA and get their approvals on which one.

Sir Nathan:  I am only changing pieces of armor to get the most historically accurate harness as possible.  But when I order my full harness, I will post pictures showing the individual pieces so that you brethren and Das Bill can scrutinize for accuracy at your pleasure ;) 
Also, I am getting an Arming doublet or Arming Cotte from either Ice Falcon or Revival Clothing.  I am getting those first before the actual harness measurements are made.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2011-05-19, 20:09:24 ---shame all of the English armour is gone. from what i gather the style was a lot like Milanese export but had hard fluting. it was different than both German and Italian but had similarities to it. i think there are some churches in England where the style can be seen. Robert Macpherson showed me a reference once when i was in his shop picking up some armour with a friend. was really cool

--- End quote ---

There's a few effigies and brasses on it, but no period pieces survive that I've seen. This is a great picture of a lot of them:

http://warsoftheroses.devhub.com/img/upload/englisharmour1415-1475.jpg

I can't remember who, but someone had a thread on AA about having a book about it. Never came to production, AFAIK. :(

--- Quote from: Joshua Santana on 2011-05-19, 21:09:04 ---I am getting an Arming doublet or Arming Cotte from either Ice Falcon or Revival Clothing.  I am getting those first before the actual harness measurements are made.

--- End quote ---

(Mr Smithers voice) Exxxxcellent. :)

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2011-05-19, 21:22:44 ---
--- Quote from: Joshua Santana on 2011-05-19, 21:09:04 ---I am getting an Arming doublet or Arming Cotte from either Ice Falcon or Revival Clothing.  I am getting those first before the actual harness measurements are made.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Excellent indeed. :) I haven't seen the Ice Falcon one up close. The Revival one is very nice, but if you need to add arming points, make sure you stitch them well. And you might need to add leather reinforcement if there are any areas where the armor rubs on it. The linen they use is a little soft and wears-through pretty easily. Their pourpoint on the other hand is very tough in comparison.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2011-05-20, 01:24:34 ---
--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2011-05-19, 21:22:44 ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Excellent indeed. :) I haven't seen the Ice Falcon one up close. The Revival one is very nice, but if you need to add arming points, make sure you stitch them well. And you might need to add leather reinforcement if there are any areas where the armor rubs on it. The linen they use is a little soft and wears-through pretty easily. Their pourpoint on the other hand is very tough in comparison.

--- End quote ---

Sir Edward, I have the IceFalcon one if you want to have a look at it.

I recommend these for any arming points:
http://historicenterprises.com/arming-doublet-point-reinforces-leather-p-1298.html?cPath=101_135

At $1 each, you can't beat the price. They also don't need to be attached to the arming clothes, so you just untie them and toss it in the washing machine. The 4 holes spread the load on the fabric out to reduce the chance of tearing the fabric. It basically points from the outside in, then from the inside back out (I can get pics, I think my description makes no sense) and the 4 holes make the arming points themselves stay in place on the arming clothes, which means you don't have to sew the leather at all.

I have them for all the arming points for my 14th century kit, which will be put to the test in the next month or two (as the mail skirt is backordered until June/July).

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2011-05-20, 13:39:49 ---I recommend these for any arming points:
http://historicenterprises.com/arming-doublet-point-reinforces-leather-p-1298.html?cPath=101_135

At $1 each, you can't beat the price. They also don't need to be attached to the arming clothes, so you just untie them and toss it in the washing machine. The 4 holes spread the load on the fabric out to reduce the chance of tearing the fabric. It basically points from the outside in, then from the inside back out (I can get pics, I think my description makes no sense) and the 4 holes make the arming points themselves stay in place on the arming clothes, which means you don't have to sew the leather at all.

--- End quote ---

Those look pretty good. I wonder how well the Revival cotte will take them. It might be OK with the grommets being the only part that's attached, since that's how I did the voiders (lots of small grommets), but since there's only 4 taking all the weight of the legs for each pointing, I'm still cautious. The linen they used really isn't that strong. I'd have no fear at all on the pourpoint. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version