Main > The Armoury

Help on Gothic Harness!

(1/24) > >>

Joshua Santana:
I need some help on what type of Gothic Harness to choose.

As you all know, I am ordering my harness from Mercenary Tailors (Thanks for the positive reviews!).

Here is a prototype design of my harness

this is the helmet

this is the bevor

these are the shoulder pieces

this is the besegues (steel rivets on mine)

this is the breastplate

this is the arm harness

this is the guantlets

this is the leg harness

these are the greaves

the idea for this harness came form this picture

the problem is this, what would be better: to go with the plate?

or to go with the placard and brigandine or breast and back plate combo (w/the placard)?  or even change the espauliers ot the pualdrons with haute pieces?
(the brigandine or ring maile cotte if i intend on ordering one will be from mercenary tailors)

here is a visual sketch to make things easier

the placard

the brigandine or ring maile cotte

the breast plate and back plate

and the aforesaid pauldrons

What do you think brethren?

Joshua Santana:

i apologize for not putting up this picture

and here is an example of what i mean by placard/brigandine design

I hope this helps

Sir Matthew:
I like the placard/brig design. It's different and interesting.

Sir James A:
Almost every bit of armor you posted the pictures of is more of the italian style. High gothic had LOTS of flutes and punchwork and edging, while "regular" (I can't remember the specific term) gothic had some fluting and maybe a bit of punchwork.

This picture (http://www.englyshe-plate-armourie.co.uk/Images/PastProj%20Images/English/Fitzherbert/images/FITZ%20COMPLETE%2001_jpg.jpg) is quite interesting. The pauldron/spaulders are distinctly italian, as is the cuirass. The arms and cuisse both have fluting in the gothic style, and the bevor/sallet are gothic as well. Oddly enough, even the wildest of gothic armor had smooth greaves, so those are fine for either.

There's a few decent pictures of the more common gothic style armor here (http://swords.museumreplicas.com/search?SearchTerm=german+gothic+armor). There's also a set of 3-piece point-tied arms on the site somewhere. However, Allan at MercTailor will make custom fit armor for you - the armor in the link above is a one-size-fits-you-or-too-bad, and the articulation on it is much more decorative than functional (I have the cuirass, pauldrons, arms and legs).

I would probably skip on the besagews. The rounded ones seem, to me, more early period, and the later period gothic ones would have a good bit of fluted detail to them. My understanding is they aren't the most comfortable of items to wear and may bind up on you if you try to move your arms too much. They are kind of an "accessory" that you could add to the harness once you get the other bits assembled and interacting well.

Hope that helps.

Sir William:
I think the pictures he used as examples were more to show the areas covered, rather than the armor design.  He's going with Allan @ MT, his wares are more utilitarian and functional- beautiful in their simplicity, but I think he hearks more from the gothic influence than Italian.  Perhaps he or Joshua'll weigh in and correct me if need be.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version