"We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey (Quest?) that no one can take for us or spare us."
                -- Marcel Post (1871 - 1922)

Author Topic: Sir Ulrich's kit  (Read 18396 times)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Sir Ulrich's kit
« on: 2011-01-22, 20:20:03 »
Nice, I gotta work on a soft kit myself. Any suggestions?

sorry, don't want it to get lost in another post.  Give me a date and area of what you want to go with and i'll hook you up in what your soft kit should look like

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Sir Ulrich's kit
« Reply #1 on: 2011-01-22, 20:53:44 »
Mid 13th century probably. Mainly England or Normandy France, maybe even the crusader states.

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #2 on: 2011-01-23, 03:50:36 »
lets see.

a hat or a hood
wool 4 gored tunic to below the knee
white under tunic
long brais
wool chausis
veggie tanned shoes in 13thc fashion
belt

http://www.historiclife.com/HistoricalClothing/13th.htm showing a hospitaler in early 13thc

http://historicenterprises.com/mens-13th-century-clothing-c-99_107.html see what i mean.
http://www.medievaldesign.com/eng-prodotti-uomo.asp?form_chiave=27

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2011-01-25, 15:11:25 »
Hey, thanks for the links, Sir Wolf- very helpful.  Sir Ulrich, good luck...I almost wish I had these resources when I got started but part of the fun was in assembling and switching out pieces as I saw fit.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2011-01-28, 01:57:52 »
Thanks this gives me an idea of the look I want. Thankfully I got the perfect shoes for that kind of kit which is probably the most expensive part (GDFB 13th century soldier's shoes), the pants I currently have aren't accurate at all but I only got them for 20 bucks so that ain't that big a deal. I personally like the crusader outfit the most with the hooded tunic and cloak and think thats what I may go for.
I am still wondering, wouldn't wool get hot in the summer? If so maybe I should get the linen, but that don't come in any color but purple and I don't exactly like purple

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2011-01-28, 15:08:18 »
If you get your surcoat from GDFB, be sure to specify you want the heavy linen one, not the wool one...their wool garments are very heavy, very well made too, but very heavy.  I'd ordered the Templar ensemble, surcoat and cloak and just those two pieces were over 10lbs by themselves.  And HOT...I ended up sending them back and opting for a couple shirts and pants and other odd bits instead.

Went with the MRL Templar getup...you can see it here- very comfortable to wear.

« Last Edit: 2011-01-28, 15:10:51 by Sir William »
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2011-01-30, 22:19:30 »
Yeah, I got my hands on a GDFB linen surcoat, it's a bit oversized on me but I can get it tailored I think. I was thinking of getting the cloak but considering it's wool it would probably be too hot. All I wanna know is where I could get a lighter cloak that matches the GDFB wool one.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2011-02-01, 17:26:51 »
Are you doing a Templar serjeant, or Hospitalier?  I ask because w/the Templars, you didn't have to have the cross on the cloak/cape, just on the tunic/surcoat so you could go with an all-black cape, or have one made.  There are a number of e-tailers on eBay that do some really nice stuff...of course, if you have a little more money to play with, there are more upscale tailors you could work with.  On eBay, there is a vendor called House Morningstar- this woman makes all of the surcoats herself, she made the one I'm wearing in my avatar.  She could do a matching cloak for you I'd think.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #8 on: 2011-02-01, 23:56:13 »
I am trying to portray a Templar mainly. I think I'm gonna save up for one of those cloaks as they're probably lighter than the GDFB stuff (which I saw at NY Renaissance Faire), maybe I'll even get the surcoat if I can't resize my GDFB one, or just buy a Templar sergeant surcoat and decide to do a knight later.

Thats basically the kind of outfit I want. The way it looks somewhat sinister and dark appeals to me for some reason.
« Last Edit: 2011-02-03, 02:27:07 by Sir Ulrich »

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #9 on: 2011-02-09, 01:48:55 »
Yeah, that's a classic. I like it.
That was going to be my second choice before I got addicted to the 15th century.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #10 on: 2011-02-09, 03:21:53 »
Yeah, I always like the idea of the Knights Templar armor and whatnot, after seeing the movie Arn I got even more inspired to do it.
I'm still wondering, should I get these:
http://www.merctailor.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=75
or these:
http://www.merctailor.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=48

Just wondering because I need leg armor, I do know I'd need knee cops as well. I just want something that would look like it's from the 1250s and I don't know where to find mail chausses that would fit me.

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #11 on: 2011-02-09, 12:40:30 »
ok for 1250 historically neither one of those will work. you are limited to Merc Tailors 13/14th century knee cops for plate. the rest is chain mail.  maybe padded chausis but that would be the extent of anything besides mail on the body

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #12 on: 2011-02-09, 15:04:50 »
I see they have the greaves described as starting in the 12th century, but for a mid-13th century knight, you're probably just going to have knees as Sir Wolf said, overtop of mail, without other plate elements. Adding plates over the mail puts you into the beginning of the 14th century (1300's).
« Last Edit: 2011-02-09, 15:05:08 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2011-02-09, 15:32:40 »
Yeah, I always like the idea of the Knights Templar armor and whatnot, after seeing the movie Arn I got even more inspired to do it.
I'm still wondering, should I get these:
http://www.merctailor.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=75
or these:
http://www.merctailor.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=48

Just wondering because I need leg armor, I do know I'd need knee cops as well. I just want something that would look like it's from the 1250s and I don't know where to find mail chausses that would fit me.

I had both...I currently have the splinted greaves, your first link- while I do love'm, they're not anachronistic to early 13th C but I wore'm anyway.  I also had the plate greaves...and they are good looking but they kept diggin into the top of my boot and I'd have a sore foot by day's end.  I'm wearing the splinted greaves (altho you can't see them) in my avatar; if you look at my Knight Page I believe I have a full shot where you can see them.  Yea, here it is:

http://modernchivalry.org/knightdata/28/photo1288021926-0001-huge.jpg

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #14 on: 2011-02-09, 23:45:00 »
Think I'm gonna start out with knee cops then, the GDFB stuff has them already attached so I think I am going for that, as long as I can get them tailored. Guess thats the problem being a Templar, they didn't make it past 1314 thus have a limited selection of armor. Maybe I could go for a later 13th century look? I just don't see how protective chausses are, mail flexes and doesnt protect from blunt force trauma, and hitting my shins would be PAINFUL... Sure they prevent you from being cut but it's essentially metal against bone cause shins have very little meat in the front. I mean, i'd get a pair but I just don't know where I could get a pair that would fit my legs as I am 5 ft 8 and only weigh 110 pounds...