"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect."
                -- Carl Von Clausewitz

Author Topic: Sir Ulrich's kit  (Read 16506 times)

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
Re: Sir Ulrich's kit
« Reply #15 on: 2011-02-10, 02:58:32 »
Padded Chausses. All the rage underneath your maille.

And look out sir Wolf! You used the C word! CHAIN MAIL!!!!
two more violations before you are kicked off the forum/made fun of.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #16 on: 2011-02-10, 03:01:13 »
Isn't chain mail one of those annoying letters you have to send to ten friends or something bad will happen to you? ;D
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #17 on: 2011-02-10, 03:05:05 »
ah, that must have been what he was referring to.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #18 on: 2011-02-10, 15:35:37 »

Yeah, that's exactly it, the mail is designed to keep the weapon from cutting and piercing, but only mildly mitigates blunt force. The padding is what deals with that more, and on the legs the padding would tend to be on the thigh. But the good news is that in this period, most of the weapons were of the sword, spear, and other polearm varieties. Hammers and maces weren't as popular yet, since their increased popularity was in response to plate armor.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 2011-02-10, 16:48:03 »
Sir Ulrich, do you plan on fighting in your kit?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #20 on: 2011-02-10, 19:22:56 »
If you do and lack shin padding, Stay the hell away from Eastern Europe! Those reenactment groups w/ the full contact steel blunt fights have a deathwish!

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #21 on: 2011-02-10, 23:41:26 »
Yes I do intend on fighting in my kit, not necessarily the SCA but maybe Markland or some other society that doesn't have high armor requirements. Main reason I don't bother with plate is because unless it's custom fitted it's uncomfortable, but Mercenaries Tailor has me think otherwise due to their stuff being custom sized. I may just get shin guards cause I currently don't want to spend 300 bucks to for the IceFalcon chausses, but I can afford 70 dollar custom sized shin guards. Plus if I ever decide to do plate I'd already have some armor for it. Maybe in the 1290s or so they had some plate?

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 2011-02-11, 15:08:57 »
Merc Tailor will make it according to your measurements w/out extra added cost...of them all I feel most comfortable dealing with Allan because he's no-muss-no-fuss and no excuses; the work's top notch and you don't have to wait months to get it usually.

I thought about Markland myself but wondered if maybe I was too old?  They're based at UMD right?  By the by, if you are going to fight in your kit, you'll definitely want padded undergarments - mail's good against cuts but not blunt force trauma.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #23 on: 2011-02-11, 15:22:36 »
too old? HAHAHAH thas funny. you know most sca and markland guys are 40-50 right?

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #24 on: 2011-02-11, 15:54:29 »
They do have a lot of younger guys too, but plenty of older ones as well. Pretty broad spectrum, so I wouldn't let age stop you.

I'm not as directly familiar with Markland these days. I just remember one of my college friends had gotten involved in the padded weapon combat, and I think some of those folks were using hockey equipment to get some basic protective padding. From their website you can see a lot of more serious historical intent, so I don't know how much they blur the lines these days.

As an aside, Sir Barchan (one of the jousters at MDRF) was one of the founding members of Markland if I'm not mistaken. I believe he parted ways with them a long time ago.
« Last Edit: 2011-02-11, 15:54:40 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 2011-02-11, 16:43:44 »
too old? HAHAHAH thas funny. you know most sca and markland guys are 40-50 right?

Really?  I thought they were like a frat order...none of those guys in the pic looked in their 50s.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #26 on: 2011-02-11, 17:18:27 »
u might have just seen 1 section. they have a "sca" camp and a "living history" camp. a lot of the east coast living history groups came out of markland and split ways to be on their own.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #27 on: 2011-02-11, 19:31:36 »
Are you a member, Sir Wolf?