"Honor is like an island, rugged and without a beach; once we have left it, we can never return."
                -- Nicholas Boileau

Author Topic: lutel back in business  (Read 9248 times)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
lutel back in business
« on: 2011-01-07, 14:03:34 »
http://www.lutel-handicraft.com

i have one of their hand n half beater swords. i like it. been a while since i've had it out but i like it. also have a bec de corbin by them. prob my favorite pole weapon i own

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: lutel back in business
« Reply #1 on: 2011-01-07, 14:15:02 »
I know the name but have never handled any of their work, at least not to my knowledge.  Ooo, they did the weapons for Joan of Arc, by Besson- one of my favorites.  I'm glad to see they've straightened themselves out, although I admit to being ignorant of their plight before now.  Thanks for sharing, Sir Wolf.

Edited to add:  holy cow they're expensive!  Are their wares really that good?  Also noticed that they offer a range of suspension choices for the scabbard...now THAT is very cool.
« Last Edit: 2011-01-07, 14:17:17 by Sir William »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #2 on: 2011-01-07, 15:12:13 »
From reading the notice on the home page its seems they had some imbezzelment issues with the fella handeling sales, accounting and internet in '09.

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #3 on: 2011-01-07, 15:23:12 »
ya that sucks. i would have to say i ordered my stuff in early 2000s. there not Albions i mean, they are beater swords but my bec is super nice. i always wanted to get the A&A butt spike to put on the end of it.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2011-01-07, 18:04:58 »
From reading the notice on the home page its seems they had some imbezzelment issues with the fella handeling sales, accounting and internet in '09.

You know what never ceases to amaze me?  These people actually think they'll get away with it!
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #5 on: 2011-01-07, 21:15:13 »

I've updated the link on the links page.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2011-01-08, 00:09:25 »
They sell some pretty nice brazil nut pommel swords. Would love to get one, but I ain't sure if they sell to the USA.

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2011-01-08, 00:40:20 »
Yep, they sell to the US. I've handled a lot of Lutel swords in the past. They're not too shabby, and they're very durable. They're also a little overbuilt, so they tend to be on the heavy side, though that isn't true for every model they sell. Some of the models are much nicer than others. For instance, I did a review on myArmoury.com on for the Lutel two handed sabre, and that was a pretty sweet sword. Many of the swords have a slightly "modern" look to them, which I don't care for, but not all of them.
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #8 on: 2011-01-08, 04:15:07 »
I'll have to look into it then, It's hard to find swords with brazil nut or oval shaped pommels. Most have wheel or fish tail pommels which don't really appeal much to me. If I had money to burn I'd buy myself the reeve from albion armories but I can't afford that at the moment.

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #9 on: 2011-01-08, 17:17:24 »
I'll have to look into it then, It's hard to find swords with brazil nut or oval shaped pommels. Most have wheel or fish tail pommels which don't really appeal much to me. If I had money to burn I'd buy myself the reeve from albion armories but I can't afford that at the moment.

Have you looked into Del Tin? They have several. MRL occassionally has them, but they rotate the items in their catalog, and I don't really keep track of what they sell anymore.
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #10 on: 2011-01-08, 22:11:11 »
Well I looked into Del Tin swords, I must say they are VERY nice looking and much more affordable than Albion swords. More accurate than most swords I see anyway. This one particularly  catches my eye http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=DT2131&name=Del+Tin+13th+Century+Cruciform+Sword
Nice and simple with a nice shaped pommel. Now I got something to add to my to buy list. Not sure if I'd use it in combat as weapons break and I'd rather break something thats easy to replace (like the practical norman which I have) than a fine nicely crafted sword.

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #11 on: 2011-01-09, 00:44:57 »
you'll not break a del tin. they are thinner edged than most groups like to use for steel combat, but they do well. i have one or two somewheres

Sir Andrew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: 2011-01-09, 02:09:46 »
 Did I just miss it, or does the Lutel site have a currency conversion table somewhere?

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #13 on: 2011-01-10, 21:31:21 »
you'll not break a del tin. they are thinner edged than most groups like to use for steel combat, but they do well. i have one or two somewheres

Then there must be something wrong with me, as I've broken several. :) Del Tin's are what I consider middle-grade weapons. They aren't the best, but they are far from the worst. If you use them for western martial arts or stage combat, then they'll last a little while before a hilt will fail or a blade will snap, but they're better than most of the cheaper stuff out there. On average, they're on the heavier end of the spectrum, though this isn't true for every single model. And they fittings, when seen up close, show heavy evidence of casting flaws.

But despite those criticisms, they still are worth the price.