"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
                -- Marcus Aurelius

Author Topic: CAS/Hanwei New Lineup  (Read 5451 times)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
CAS/Hanwei New Lineup
« on: 2011-01-10, 16:45:28 »
I just saw one of those 'gotta have' swords:  http://www.cashanwei.com/prod_Detail.aspx?id=SH2455

The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: CAS/Hanwei New Lineup
« Reply #1 on: 2011-01-10, 17:07:20 »

Huh, I've never seen that one. It must be new. It's certainly very affordable.

I'm glad they're posting dimensions and weight, but I really wish they'd include the center of gravity. The numbers, even with that, can't tell you the whole story of how it feels and moves, but it helps give you a better picture.

One thing that concerns me about it is that it looks like it has a center ridge. Not the kind of ridge you get with a hollow-ground or even diamond cross-section, but an actual ridge. Attempting to do cuts with it, I would expect the ridge to catch into the target. Then again, maybe it's just the way it's reflecting that's making it look this way. They mention the ridge in the text, but they don't say if it's hollow-ground or what (I would doubt that it is, since that would increase the price).

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2011-01-10, 17:18:21 »
Yea, I noticed that too...given the time frame, I've read of these thrusting-style swords with a central ridge to stiffen the blade...not like you'd seen in a diamond section but an actual ridge.   A thruster that probably could be used to slash but mostly dedicated to the thrust.  But I won't know until I hold one...if I ever do.  The more I look at that ridge, the less I like it.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2011-01-10, 17:59:32 »
I think the thrusting ridges were more on the later period swords, like smallswords of the 17th-18th centuries. I'm pretty sure you'd never see one like that on this style and period of sword.

Having said that, if you don't care about 100% accuracy and don't plan to cut with it, it would make a good garb piece since it does come with a scabbard (and technically the scabbard will hide the blade anyway).

It all comes down to what you want, and what you're willing to pay. :)
« Last Edit: 2011-01-10, 17:59:54 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2011-01-10, 19:52:16 »
Agreed...and since I already have the one I intend on having permanently affixed in its scabbard (got it for $39 on eBay, wooden scabbard too) I'm good on that point, but I do kinda like it.  The ridge doesn't appear to be that large but pics can definitely be deceiving so I think I'll just wait a bit.

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #5 on: 2011-01-10, 21:37:30 »
Actually, that ridge is completely accurate. There are a lot of historical swords from that time period with very similar blades. It won't be the best cutter in the world, naturally, but it will have a very stiff blade for thrusting. It's cutting ability will rely on the geometry of the edge. It's possible to make one of these as a pretty good cutter, but it depends on how they shaped it. I'm actually kind of impressed Hanwei decided to replicate it, as it isn't common in the modern market.

This sword doesn't look too shabby for the price. The pommel looks a little "blocky", but I think a dremel tool and a little elbow grease could make it look a lot more organic. The scabbard looks okay for something in that price range as well.
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2011-01-10, 21:54:52 »
I should've asked you first, Bill.  I'm glad to know that there's some historicity to that blade...now that I know it isn't completely out there, who knows...as you say, I can't recall seeing a blade type like that except for this one time on eBay, where this guy was selling an 'antique' for a $10K starting price, had certs and everything.  The blade had a distinct central ridge almost exactly like this one...I'll see if I can't find it again.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #7 on: 2011-01-10, 22:10:06 »
Actually, that ridge is completely accurate. There are a lot of historical swords from that time period with very similar blades. It won't be the best cutter in the world, naturally, but it will have a very stiff blade for thrusting. It's cutting ability will rely on the geometry of the edge. It's possible to make one of these as a pretty good cutter, but it depends on how they shaped it. I'm actually kind of impressed Hanwei decided to replicate it, as it isn't common in the modern market.

Well, I learned something new today. :)

EDIT: I wonder why no one has included these in discussions/charts of cross-section and the like?
« Last Edit: 2011-01-10, 22:12:50 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #8 on: 2011-01-11, 00:47:41 »