Main > The Round Table

Bad Parents!

<< < (6/10) > >>

Sir Edward:

You know, it's kinda hard to say. I see more of this at MDRF than anywhere else, for sure. But it's also the one I go to the most, so I don't know how much that factors in.

MDRF is the only one I can recall that I've been to that bans weapons altogether (most just require peace-tie). We keep hearing stories about people drawing steel on a cast member, or swinging sharp swords around in the parking lot, etc. But the drunks are the one part that's easy to witness for yourself. MDRF is the only place I've seen them fall over unconscious.

But don't get me wrong, it's definitely meant to be a family show. I just think there's a higher proportion of people who get stupid with a beer in them, and more parents who don't watch their kids.

Dragonlover:
I had a college aged young "lady" at Charlotte last year who was clearly with a group who were ALL intoxicated and dared her to "ride" my scabbard. She was kind of shocked when my wife and I spun on her and my wife told her it was gonna feel REALLY good when the edge on that ring-hilt sawed through the leather and into her nether regions...she sobered rather quickly....

Sir William:
I agree with some of the others, I think the fact that we're NOT wearing weapons is a tacit invitation to on-lookers that they may approach.  Can't say I like that...altho my experiences have all been positive, most of you all have had bad ones too.  As for the drunkenness, I think that might occur more as the day winds down and folk have been there for some time.  I limit myself to two ales at most, with lots of water in between.

For my part, I do not like to be touched (unless I know you, am familiar with you, etc) so I don't always greet people who presume such intimacy as handling my armor haphazardly with sort of aplomb; I usually find such behavior mildly offensive. 

LOL @ ride his scabbard; glad your wife was there to set her straight.

Sir James A:
I wonder if it's a saturday thing? I just went on sunday, and didn't see any of those problems. I was without armor this year, but next year I'm hoping to have a full harness to wear.

I really wish we were allowed weapons, though. I agree that not having a weapon makes us look like peaceful little tanks that should be thwacked with the wooden swords. :(

Sir Edward:

The good news is that you won't see these things on most days, unless you're in full plate armor on a crowded day. If you're in armor, but not all plate, you'll see it from time to time. If you're just in regular garb, or just "danes" (short for "mundanes"), you can go blissfully unaware most of the time. :) I think a lot of it is how much you stick out and thus attract it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version