"Success is never final. Failure is never fatal. It is courage that counts."
                -- Winston Churchill

Author Topic: Working on my Coif  (Read 8779 times)

Stanislaw

• Rycerz
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Member
Working on my Coif
« on: 2014-03-22, 21:36:39 »
So, I've been working on an Allthebeststuff coif, adding a custom ventail to it made with some rings cut from what used to be a large part of the aventail. I haven't added a heavy linen liner to it yet, because my heavyweight linen thread has not arrived yet, but here's how it currently looks:

(And yes, I have an enormous head! :P The GDFB coif I have on just adds to the size. I'm really glad that I ordered a 27 inch helm! My old Rus' helm doesn't even fit on this monstrosity.)

I'm really starting to like the look of it, and am surprised at how much it already resembles coifs from numerous effigies and other art.
« Last Edit: 2014-03-23, 03:26:38 by Stanislaw »
"Sword fighting requires heart; if you frighten easily, then you are not to learn to sword fight. The whole art would be lost, because the roar of the impact and the rough strokes make a cowardly heart fearful."
-Master Hans Talhoffer

Stanislaw

• Rycerz
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Member
Re: Working on my Coif
« Reply #1 on: 2014-03-22, 21:37:57 »
If anyone's wondering why the ventail is somewhat "lopsided" looking, that is because I didn't point the leather thread through all of the maille rings  I could have in those pics. What I essentially do is I point two leather tie ends to the ventail, which is partially attached to a strip of maille that I added to the bottom of the facial opening, and then wrap one end around the coif to achieve the "globular" look. I then return to the front of the ventail, where I point and tie both ends repeatedly, vertically up the ventail, until everything looks right. This method is actually extremely secure - jumping and running around does nothing to shift it.
« Last Edit: 2014-03-23, 04:39:08 by Stanislaw »
"Sword fighting requires heart; if you frighten easily, then you are not to learn to sword fight. The whole art would be lost, because the roar of the impact and the rough strokes make a cowardly heart fearful."
-Master Hans Talhoffer

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #2 on: 2014-03-23, 04:53:42 »
Looking cool I must say :)
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Stanislaw

• Rycerz
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: 2014-03-23, 05:17:18 »
Looking cool I must say :)

Thanks!  ;D
-Master Hans Talhoffer

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #4 on: 2014-03-23, 12:56:52 »
can you lay your coif flat on the table?

what i worry about is that the expanding method on these new coifs has been over done or outta whack a little. the rows of rings should layer perfectly horizontal to each other and not at odd angles.

are you going to attach this to your hauberk? i would personally put the coif of first then the hauberk or at the very least wear the surcoat over the mantle area. if not i would get some rings and add to the mantle. it looks like it's in the inbetween stage of being done and almost there.

other than that it looks cool man. great start. light years above the 14 guage galv butted coif i started with :)

Stanislaw

• Rycerz
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: 2014-03-23, 13:00:45 »

what i worry about is that the expanding method on these new coifs has been over done or outta whack a little. the rows of rings should layer perfectly horizontal to each other and not at odd angles.

are you going to attach this to your hauberk? i would personally put the coif of first then the hauberk or at the very least wear the surcoat over the mantle area. if not i would get some rings and add to the mantle. it looks like it's in the inbetween stage of being done and almost there.

other than that it looks cool man. great start. light years above the 14 guage galv butted coif i started with :)

Sure, I'll get a pic of it when I'm a bit more awake.

Funny you should mention hauberk attachment, because that thought ran through my head today... I'm tempted to do it. I'd have to weigh the pros and cons of it, in any case.

And thanks! I actually enjoy riveting maille. It's tedious, yeah, but it's not boring.
-Master Hans Talhoffer

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #6 on: 2014-03-23, 15:07:20 »
Stanislaw,

I’m also looking at All Best Stuff for a riveted aventail.  What size rings did you go with (9 MM?).  Were you able to pick up loose rings and a tool from them as well?
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Stanislaw

• Rycerz
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: 2014-03-23, 16:47:29 »
Stanislaw,

I’m also looking at All Best Stuff for a riveted aventail.  What size rings did you go with (9 MM?).  Were you able to pick up loose rings and a tool from them as well?

The coif I have here is made of 8mm 17 gauge rings. Kindly enough, Sir Ulrich lent me his dome riveting tool and a bunch of spare links and rivets to use to attach the parts of the aventail that I cut down and modified. If they sell riveting tools, I'm not aware of it.
« Last Edit: 2014-03-23, 16:48:08 by Stanislaw »
-Master Hans Talhoffer

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2014-03-24, 00:52:12 »

Sure, I'll get a pic of it when I'm a bit more awake.

Funny you should mention hauberk attachment, because that thought ran through my head today... I'm tempted to do it. I'd have to weigh the pros and cons of it, in any case.

And thanks! I actually enjoy riveting maille. It's tedious, yeah, but it's not boring.

If the coif fitment is similar to mine (different maker) then having it attached means you won't be able to take it off for a breather. Mine isn't open enough to fold back like a hoodie, so with it attached it would have to stay on my head until I armor down.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Stanislaw

• Rycerz
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: 2014-03-25, 05:30:47 »
Just stitched a 3-layer heavy linen liner onto this coif tonight! For my first time sewing maille to fabric, it was an interesting experience, but I got the job done. I can secure the aventail to the coif in a variety of ways with my leather string, all of them giving pretty much the same general look:

-Master Hans Talhoffer

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2014-03-25, 15:59:11 »
Looks much straighter now with the padding. Very good!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Stanislaw

• Rycerz
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: 2014-03-25, 16:04:29 »
Looks much straighter now with the padding. Very good!

Thanks! It looked a bit lopsided without the padding due to the maille being improperly secured.
-Master Hans Talhoffer

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2014-03-26, 12:08:13 »
Man, I'm envious- nicely done, Stanislaw!  The coif itself seems a little short, a good argument for attaching it to a 'berk.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #13 on: 2014-03-30, 15:39:39 »
How much was this coif?
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Stanislaw

• Rycerz
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: 2014-03-30, 19:11:55 »
How much was this coif?

It came with a package of hauberk + chausses + coif on allthebeststuff.
-Master Hans Talhoffer