"When a virtuous man is raised, it brings gladness to his friends, grief to his enemies, and glory to his posterity."
                -- Ben Jonson

Author Topic: Working on my Coif  (Read 8780 times)

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
Re: Working on my Coif
« Reply #15 on: 2014-03-31, 00:52:42 »
How much was this coif?

It came with a package of hauberk + chausses + coif on allthebeststuff.

Oh! I think that was the one I was looking at! Any recommendations for it? Flaws?
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Stanislaw

• Rycerz
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: 2014-03-31, 17:57:48 »
You can buy several different types of maille packages from them, all with different ring diameters, metal gauge, and the like. Be sure to peruse their selection carefully before deciding on something, and look over the measurements given on the site very carefully. The rings are significantly better-riveted than GDFB or Icefalcon maille - you should probably look into their 17 gauge 8mm ring size.
"Sword fighting requires heart; if you frighten easily, then you are not to learn to sword fight. The whole art would be lost, because the roar of the impact and the rough strokes make a cowardly heart fearful."
-Master Hans Talhoffer

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #17 on: 2014-03-31, 21:31:00 »
You can buy several different types of maille packages from them, all with different ring diameters, metal gauge, and the like. Be sure to peruse their selection carefully before deciding on something, and look over the measurements given on the site very carefully. The rings are significantly better-riveted than GDFB or Icefalcon maille - you should probably look into their 17 gauge 8mm ring size.

Well, for the past month I was eyeing up this one:
http://allbeststuff.com/c-medieval-chainmail-armor/c-chain-mail-shirt-coif-set/Round-Riveted-Links-with-Solid-Washers-Chain-Mail-Full-Suit-Body-Armor
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #18 on: 2014-03-31, 23:16:51 »
I suggest that one by far Aiden, because it's got the full package for only about 20 bucks more than what I payed for my hauberk ALONE. I have worn that maille too it doesnt have the "thread ripping" problems my old hauberk had as well and it looks rather even. I suggest going for it unless you're willing to pay the extra for wedge like I did.