"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty."
                -- Lau Tzu

Author Topic: 14th Century armor - breastplate, spaulders, arms, cuisses... with a twist  (Read 21252 times)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
A bit of 14th century style armor from Allan Senefelder of Mercenary's Tailor - breastplate, spaulders, arms, and cuisses... but with a twist:

http://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/t1.0-9/1378643_10203385404374732_1852983340_n.jpg

What's the twist, you say? I'll tell you; wait, even better, I'll show you!

http://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/970807_10203385406094775_224838685_n.jpg

That's not a giant in the picture. The armor is sized for a 10 or 12 or year old. Looks normal size until you see it in perspective, doesn't it? How cool is that?? 8)

It's on the way to me this week. More pics once I get it!

Edit: finally took some pics! (click for zoom)

Overview:

Upper:

Legs:

Close up of the cuisses

Detail of the fan / wing, knees match

Hand-made straps and buckles with proper steel buckle retainer plates
« Last Edit: 2014-09-20, 16:56:39 by Sir James A »
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
The real twist:

Sir James has kidnapped a 10 or 12 year old and is going to armor him up!
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
I wish I was 10...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
woahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
The real twist:

Sir James has kidnapped a 10 or 12 year old and is going to armor him up!

Shh!!

And hey, if the archers don't keep a close eye on their children, they are fair game; no way will the kid go back to being a lowly archer once I've put him in armor! ;)

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
There’s going to be a 10 year old running around with a kit like that?!    :'(
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org

Potentially many 10 year olds. This will be a great set of demo armor to take to our shows! Huzzah! :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...

Wade's son has all types of kits...all in 1050 spring steel (not hardened but still more expensive than anything I have)....

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Wade's son is quite possibly the luckiest kid in the world.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore

Potentially many 10 year olds. This will be a great set of demo armor to take to our shows! Huzzah! :)

That’s wonderful news!

I have to admit the first thought that came to my mind was all the beautiful pictures of Wade’s armour designed for his son.  Then the thought of two children running around with kits most of us can only dream of depressed me.   :-[

Now the news that this will be a teaching aid at events and that many children will be exposed to the real thing made me very happy indeed.  :)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed

That’s wonderful news!

I have to admit the first thought that came to my mind was all the beautiful pictures of Wade’s armour designed for his son.  Then the thought of two children running around with kits most of us can only dream of depressed me.   :-[

Now the news that this will be a teaching aid at events and that many children will be exposed to the real thing made me very happy indeed.  :)

One, that kid makes me jealous. Two, that'd be a great demo piece! Instead of just telling them about it they can live it! Spreading chivalry will be that much easier. Plus the kid won't forget about trying on some armor ;)
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
That's pretty cool indeed! Lucky kids....
Though, the thought that the kids will probably grow out of their armor in a year or two makes me want to cry. Hopefully they'll take care of it and pass it on to their kids!

I had once actually considered making a child-sized version of one of my helms to take with me to events to let kids try on. Only problem is I don't know any children and have no idea how big it would have to be. Hanging out at the local park trying to measure kids' heads would probably be frowned upon. ;)
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Hanging out at the local park trying to measure kids' heads would probably be frowned upon. ;)

Parent #1: Who is that creepy guy with a tape measure and set of calipers?

Parent #2: No idea. But I'm sure he's harmless.

I'm sure line #2 would not happen. :)

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran

That’s wonderful news!

One, that kid makes me jealous. Two, that'd be a great demo piece! Instead of just telling them about it they can live it! Spreading chivalry will be that much easier. Plus the kid won't forget about trying on some armor ;)

They've been trying on armor at previous demos, but always have the "whoa it's so heavy" or "so huge" effect. One kid had a vambrace on as a greave and it was still oversized. Can't keep propogating that myth!

Allan said he used to do similar demos with schools, and kids from middle school would see him years later when they are in high school and say "hey you're the guy that brought the armor! i still remember that, it was awesome!".

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Nice set of armor by the way Sir James.  :)
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€