"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment."
                -- Marcus Aurelius (121 - 180)

Author Topic: Medieval Trencher  (Read 29365 times)

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Medieval Trencher
« on: 2014-03-14, 20:25:56 »
Does anyone know of a recipe for making a trencher? I was thinking about giving it a try.
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Medieval Trencher
« Reply #1 on: 2014-03-14, 23:59:42 »
What do you mean by a 'recipe' ?  Are we talking about the trencher that's just a piece of stale bread?  Or a more permanent solution?
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #2 on: 2014-03-15, 04:08:02 »
I don't know about trencher, but I have a Medieval Celebrations book (signed by Mark D. Donnelly :) ) That gives recipes for Parsley and Barley bread if you're interested.
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: 2014-03-15, 13:31:08 »
I'm looking into making one of those stale bread trenchers. I'd imagin the recipe is not unlike 19th century hard tack; flour, water, and a hint of salt shaped into a plate, baked, then set aside for several days to become hard.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2014-03-15, 23:37:59 »
I'm looking into making one of those stale bread trenchers. I'd imagin the recipe is not unlike 19th century hard tack; flour, water, and a hint of salt shaped into a plate, baked, then set aside for several days to become hard.

Well, I'm not certain that those trenchers were made specifically to be trenchers, other than just being normal bread that had gone stale and thrown to the peasants with the other left overs.  You might have more success just looking for the recipe for common breads in your chosen time.
My Pinterest

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #5 on: 2014-03-16, 00:14:25 »
Would that render a surface large enough to eat a meal off of?

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #6 on: 2014-03-16, 00:40:36 »
http://www.billyandcharlie.com/misc.html i have a trencher form bnc's for later time kit.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2014-03-19, 04:27:46 »
IIRC Trenchers were just bread made into bowls so that you could eat them after the same as we do with Sourdough bowls and chowder today. BTW Sourdough is period.

Oh, and speaking as a Jew. Do not go the Matzo route. You will be happier.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2014-03-19, 15:57:37 »

If you make the bread into a boule form, it would- you'd just slice it in half lengthwise and voila, you have two trenchers, count'm two, ah ha ha haaaaa.  lol

All kidding aside, any references I've come across w/regard to that simply call it a bread trencher and all it consists of is a thick slice of stale bread so that it'll hold the food and juices w/out falling apart, after which you'd eat it or put it in your sack to eat later.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2014-03-19, 16:06:12 »
I've asked the question to some of the very knowledgeable cooks in La Belle, so I'm waiting to hear back.  In the meantime, I did have a discussion about bread crusts while at MTA last weekend, and I was told that crusts then were made very thick and tough, because they basically served as a frame and tray for a dish, and weren't meant to be eaten by gentle folk.  At the same time, they're perfectly edible and could be given away as scraps.  They were also thick enough that they were used to preserve food.  The inside of a thick piece of bread would remain good for weeks, even if the outside grew mold (kind of like the rind on cheese).  I'm wondering if a trencher would best be made using a similar technique to these crusts.
My Pinterest

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #10 on: 2014-03-19, 22:17:30 »
lol i miss rob and sam

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #11 on: 2014-03-21, 02:49:42 »
Actually Im thinking about making bread plates for a medieval thing coming up in summer.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2014-03-21, 16:01:23 »

You're only limited to the amount of dough that you have available; you can make a loaf as big or as small as you like.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #13 on: 2014-03-21, 16:13:22 »
Yeah I guess. I was trying to imagine an generic-sized loaf of bread, they don't seem like a large surface to eat off of. I guess I'll just make a large loaf.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2014-03-22, 11:27:38 »
From Rob, our very exceptional period cook in La Belle:

In the 14th and 15th Centuries, generally speaking, trenchers were cut from a dense, whole-grain loaf called tranche.  I do sometimes bake a couple loaves, but this year my shoulder made kneading the dry-ish dough a less pleasant prospect.

To recreate tranche according to Peter Brears (head cook at Hampton Court Palace), I make a sponge of yeast, white flour, and some sugar, and let it get good and mature. I throw some salt in with whole wheat flour, with some added wheat bran. I mix up the basic dough until it's pretty dry and stiff, then proof it twice before forming it into oval loaves, but I do not let the loaves proof again before putting them in the oven. I bake it a 450 for 40-60 minutes,  because it's very dense.

The end product is pretty tough stuff; works great for trenchers, and I also grill or fry it up for sops. It tastes pretty good if you like sturdy whole-grain breads.

Hope this helps.  I bake by eye and feel, so amounts are not something I have recorded.
My Pinterest