"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society."
                -- Theodore Roosevelt

Author Topic: Medieval Trencher  (Read 29369 times)

Sir Robert

• Sir Robert
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • A leasanna a chosaint agus
Re: Medieval Trencher
« Reply #15 on: 2014-03-22, 13:17:39 »
I grew up on a family farm with a grand father that was very traditional German, so I got a very old fashioned education in farming early on. Many of our staple foods were developed for storage and transport cabilities. From honeyed oats that became granola to cookies which were high calorie, spoil resistaint, at yup sometimes yummiest, but think molasses and honey rather than sugar, to preserves and dry cured meats. So I agree with Sir Ian, a trencher is a hollowed out loaf, but there may have been hearty or well seasoned versions to increase storage value or cover the taste of rancid, salty, or just meals a bit past prime. 

The mention of thinking of brad as a cheese and just cutting the mold off is very accurate, just as true as often eating larva infested breads as well, more common than I want to think about. Indeed any flour stored a month or so would have larva in it simply due to the open milling and open storage conditions, modern feeds store a bit better but that has a lot to do with how we process all grains today.

We had very hearty breads that were traditionally made into bowls, these were heavy whole grain and molasses loafs that my grandfather liked heavy stews in. These were not generally today's version of stew, but often made with sweet meats, as he wasted little of and animal we butchered. I actually miss some of these items that you just can't find, very difficult even in Amish regions, not because they don't eat them, but more that the English do not, pickeled heart anyone.

I do not doubt that someone didn't make flat breads into plates at some time, seems a natural thing actually if you make such breads. Sourdough is certainly period as keeping and making starter that would develop wild yeast and thereby offer a rising was absolutely the way it was done.

I ponder this, how did cultures isolated from seas, being far inland, without mining, did they acquire salt other than trading....

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #16 on: 2014-03-31, 13:50:43 »
I attempted to make some black bread to use as a trencher. I guess I screwed up somewhere with the yeast as after 3 hours the dough never rose. Since it never rose, it was too dense to cook all the way through. The inside was a bit doughy, but other outside and the crust tasted like Heaven. I will definitely try again, but I need to figure out first what went wrong with the yeast. I believe I did not store it in a warm enough place when I set it aside to rise.
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #17 on: 2014-03-31, 14:45:21 »
Here's a trick from days as a cook in college:  set oven to 250. When it reaches 250, turn it OFF. Mix up and knead your dough. Cover bowl containing dough with a damp cloth and set in the oven to rise. Viola!
« Last Edit: 2014-03-31, 14:46:16 by Sir Patrick »
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #18 on: 2014-03-31, 15:12:02 »
I have some left over mixed flour, so perhaps I'll give it another go. Thanks for the tip!

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #19 on: 2014-03-31, 19:49:59 »
Be sure you have fresh yeast, too. The stuff in the packages has an expiration date for a reason  ;)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 2014-04-02, 15:51:05 »
Here's a trick from days as a cook in college:  set oven to 250. When it reaches 250, turn it OFF. Mix up and knead your dough. Cover bowl containing dough with a damp cloth and set in the oven to rise. Viola!

An excellent suggestion, one I didn't think of until my relatively flat loaf of bread came out of the oven.  When they say 'warm' they really mean that; not just a room-temp kitchen.  I suppose earlier kitchens were warmer due to having a fire burning for the entirety of the cooking cycle.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #21 on: 2014-04-02, 16:14:03 »
Looking back, I realize I had placed the dough in one of the coldest rooms in the house. Guess I'll use that trick when I get the chance. I will say, though, whatever beer you use in black bread defines the taste. The bread tasted almost exactly like the beer.

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #22 on: 2014-04-03, 00:56:58 »
Mmm...Beer.  :)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #23 on: 2014-04-03, 11:26:22 »
In the lion in winter you see them using

I second that notion.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #24 on: 2014-04-03, 15:06:06 »

I second that notion.

Sir Ian, this squire has too much time on his hands. Find something for him to polish!  ;)

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #25 on: 2014-04-03, 15:43:19 »

I second that notion.

Sir Ian, this squire has too much time on his hands. Find something for him to polish!  ;)

How would you even know what beer tastes like? I'm sure that being an upright and respectful citizen of these United States, you would NEVER let such beverages illegally pass your lips until you've reached the knightly age of 21. ;)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #26 on: 2014-04-03, 18:57:58 »

I second that notion.

How would you even know what beer tastes like? I'm sure that being an upright and respectful citizen of these United States, you would NEVER let such beverages illegally pass your lips until you've reached the knightly age of 21. ;)

I don't know if that is possible for an Irishman to never know the taste of his God given gift. Alcohol runs through my very family's blood.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #27 on: 2014-04-03, 18:59:45 »

I second that notion.

Isn't it Sir Nathans job to mentor this child  ;)
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #28 on: 2014-04-03, 19:16:53 »

That's frightening...

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #29 on: 2014-04-03, 21:37:55 »

That's frightening...

In what way?  Sir Nathan is a fully fledged knight of the Order, unlike our young Nate here, who is a newly-minted Page, as is his brother, Aiden (who is Sir Ian's protege/mentee).  Besides, I had my first taste of beer at age 11 or 12 I think; didn't kill me or make me into a delinquent.  Mind you, I took the poison off my Dad's (just means first sip).  I didn't like it then...but I love it now!
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”