Main > The Round Table

Chivalry and Etiquette

<< < (5/7) > >>

Sir William:
You raise a good point, Aiden...people in general are less personally social; with the added buffers of the internet and 'social media' people don't have to look one another in the eye when they speak/interact.  I do appreciate what such things afford us- my brother lives on the other side of the country and if it weren't for technology, we probably wouldn't see or speak to eachother but a handful of times over an entire life, you know?  But one cannot ignore the detriment to society that they have also been.

Aiden of Oreland:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2014-02-21, 14:14:35 ---You raise a good point, Aiden...people in general are less personally social; with the added buffers of the internet and 'social media' people don't have to look one another in the eye when they speak/interact.  I do appreciate what such things afford us- my brother lives on the other side of the country and if it weren't for technology, we probably wouldn't see or speak to eachother but a handful of times over an entire life, you know?  But one cannot ignore the detriment to society that they have also been.

--- End quote ---

Yes indeed, there are its benefits and its cons. If it were not for the internet we all would never have known one another and never would this community be what it is. I know for a fact that when speaking over social networks I am funny, talkative, always know what to say. But in person it is a WHOLE new situation. You don't have all the time in the world to think about what you want to say. Also I am part of the first generation EVER to grow up with these things. My generation is being raised with this technology. The generation before mine used an ancient tool called the type writer (what ever that is). Anyways, I mean if you REALLY want to get old fashion, there is always 12 century fox!

Sir Douglas:

--- Quote from: Sir Aiden on 2014-02-22, 04:45:57 ---
--- Quote from: Sir William on 2014-02-21, 14:14:35 ---You raise a good point, Aiden...people in general are less personally social; with the added buffers of the internet and 'social media' people don't have to look one another in the eye when they speak/interact.  I do appreciate what such things afford us- my brother lives on the other side of the country and if it weren't for technology, we probably wouldn't see or speak to eachother but a handful of times over an entire life, you know?  But one cannot ignore the detriment to society that they have also been.

--- End quote ---

Yes indeed, there are its benefits and its cons. If it were not for the internet we all would never have known one another and never would this community be what it is. I know for a fact that when speaking over social networks I am funny, talkative, always know what to say. But in person it is a WHOLE new situation. You don't have all the time in the world to think about what you want to say. Also I am part of the first generation EVER to grow up with these things. My generation is being raised with this technology. The generation before mine used an ancient tool called the type writer (what ever that is). Anyways, I mean if you REALLY want to get old fashion, there is always 12 century fox!

--- End quote ---

Indeed. I'm very introverted and find it much easier to communicate online. The odd thing is, I didn't really grown up with this technology, and I've only been part of the Internet world for about...oh, five or six years or so; I don't really feel like it's adversely affected a proper development of my interpersonal skills. I definitely agree that that's the case with a lot of the younger generation, but in my case, I've just always had lousy social skills. ;)

Now on the other hand, once I actually get to know someone and get over my initial shyness, I definitely prefer in-person communication where possible. I like being able to read facial expressions and hear inflection in tone. That's an important part of interpersonal communication that is completely lost with social media.

Sir Rodney:
I'm very interested in the comments from our younger members. My children were issued IPads in 1st grade and are very savvy with modern communications. We try to instill "old fashion" values, turn off the devices, go play outside, and try not to kill each other. ;)

Our constant theme is "what do you do when you think no one is looking?"

It may be a bit simplistic, but it seems to fit the chivalry theme.

Mike W.:
As human beings are naturally social creatures, I place high importance on social interaction. I will not text, talk on, or check my phone in the presence of others. For certain matters of importance, I will only discuss them in person. Social technology does connect people over vast distances, but it also removes certain essential communication elements like voice inflection and body language. I believe, like all other things, it should be used in moderation and with responsibility.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version