Main > The Round Table

Chivalry and Etiquette

(1/7) > >>

Mike W.:
I'm quite certain that this forum, being named what it is, has had many discussions on the topic of acting chivalrous and gentlemanly in the modern age. Being new to this forum, I wanted to introduce this topic so I may participate in it and learn from what others have to say. It would seem to me that chivalry tends to have large general rules like: Serve your country, Serve God and others, treat ladies with respect. Etiquette on the other hand seems to consist of meticulous rituals like how to tip a hat properly, how to conduct oneself in conversation, how to court a lady. How have any of you exercised chivalry and etiquette in your daily lives? Do any of you have a set of personal etiquette/chivalry rules that you strive to follow? What are some rituals you follow to ensure that you live a chivalrous and honorable life?

Sir Wolf:
hmmmmmmm

Sir Brian:
I strive for integrity within myself and with whomever I interact with each day. Most days I do well and on other days I fail and allow my own preconceptions and narcissisms to rule the day. Suffice to say I endeavor to treat everyone the way I wish to be treated yet those that have shown me to be utterly incorrigible miscreants I have to consciously struggle to maintain the modicum of civility our overly politically correct society dictates.

Sir Edward:
Similar to what Sir Brian said, I make an effort to be truthful, helpful, respectful, and courteous at all times. I try to resist the urge to lay blame on others, or avoid taking responsibility for my mistakes. Sometimes these things take a considerable amount of conscious effort, and at other times they don't.

It's amazing how much of chivalry can be boiled down to the "golden rule" of treating others the way you would wish to be treated.

Sir Rodney:
As an Eagle Scout of ’87, I still subconsciously try to live up to the Scout Law.  While not always successful, I’m mindful of my failures.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version