Main > The Round Table

Chivalry and Etiquette

<< < (6/7) > >>

Sir Rodney:

--- Quote from: Baron de Magnan on 2014-02-22, 14:35:04 ---As human beings are naturally social creatures, I place high importance on social interaction. I will not text, talk on, or check my phone in the presence of others. For certain matters of importance, I will only discuss them in person. Social technology does connect people over vast distances, but it also removes certain essential communication elements like voice inflection and body language. I believe, like all other things, it should be used in moderation and with responsibility.

--- End quote ---

Agreed!  Emailing my parents in Mexico takes a distant 2nd place to Skyping them.  Voice inflection, body language and hand movement are critical to a full conversation.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Patrick on 2014-02-20, 23:55:15 ---
--- Quote from: Belemrys on 2014-02-20, 22:21:19 ---Personally I am okay with striving for the romantic ideal...even if I cannot achieve it I will try my best and hopefully leave the world a better place for it...

--- End quote ---

It is the ideal because it is unattainable. That is why I strive for it. The journey can never be done, so I can never stop trying to be better.

--- End quote ---

The only person you need to be better than is the you of yesterday. :)

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: SirNathanQ on 2014-02-21, 06:17:25 ---Chivalry, and Etiquette are different things in my mind, if related.
Chivalry is the value sets expected of one who seeks to be "Knightly", or chivalrous.
Etiquette is behaving socially gracefully in whatever context you happen to be.

Yes, they are related, since acting properly in public is a lot easier if your value set espouses being a decent human being.
But chivalry in many ways will and has, stayed the same. The core tenets, stripped of the social context (the realm of etiquette) still exist. Etiquette changes rapidly and drastically. The etiquette of the 19th century is as inappropriate today as the etiquette of the 15th century in the 19th century.
Etiquette varies region to region. The details (and in some cases, major parts) of etiquette can change just as fast as the cultural groups you interact with. Good luck using American socialization on  Germans, and have fun getting a beat down in Saudi Arabia by propping your feet up on a desk and revealing the bottom of your shoes.

Stay modern, chivalrous, cultured and classy gentlemen.

--- End quote ---

I agree with this.

David:
I too believe chivalry should be practised by all people. The world would be a lot better place. I was raised to have good manners and politeness(opening a door for a woman etc.) so that part comes natural to me. I do have issues that i try to work on everyday. Old habits of blaming someone before knowing the whole truth, judging certain people for things are sometimes hard to break. This code of chivalry is making me better every day. I try to think before i say things and like many others have said treat people the way u want to be treated.

Aiden of Oreland:

--- Quote from: David on 2014-05-21, 23:13:43 ---I too believe chivalry should be practised by all people. The world would be a lot better place. I was raised to have good manners and politeness(opening a door for a woman etc.) so that part comes natural to me. I do have issues that i try to work on everyday. Old habits of blaming someone before knowing the whole truth, judging certain people for things are sometimes hard to break. This code of chivalry is making me better every day. I try to think before i say things and like many others have said treat people the way u want to be treated.

--- End quote ---

As with all of us, we all hope to always improve our moral standing and our habits. No matter what it is. Chivalry is the guideline and the force to push us to become a better person, in thy home or out of it. As humans we are not perfect, nor are we ever expected to be. As for chivalry in our modern world beyond the forum and order, it is quite a sad sight. I had planned to open a club in my school in order to help people bring this, what is now considered by our modern world an old custom, into their lives. To no surprise I could not pass this club for there was no teacher to sponsor it either willingly or capable. That said, I am sure that over time this will catch on. As long as people like you continue to follow the code and pass it on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version