"No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave."
                -- Calvin Coolidge

Author Topic: Chain Mail  (Read 20091 times)

Nuke

Chain Mail
« on: 2014-01-29, 18:07:16 »
Hello everyone,
I'm just getting into chain mail and want to create armor authentic to the period (1000 to 1100 - England).  I was going to create my own riveted chain mail...  What is your opinion on buying the Indian stuff?  to make it will take me thousands of hours and while I might still do that, I have a wife, kids, and many projects here on the farm to do first...  Any other mail out there that is riveted and good quality?  Also I was thinking of going with stainless or galvanized rather than the plain steel (which will end up rusting).  I'm giving up some authenticity for armor that should last my lifetime...
Any comments or suggestions welcomed.
Nuke
PS.  I'm in Colorado if anyone else here is in the area.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Chain Mail
« Reply #1 on: 2014-01-29, 19:28:01 »
I have riveted stainless, and it's great. The extra cost is worth it to not have to deal with cleaning rust off tiny rings.

I believe earlier periods were wedge riveted rings and not pin riveted. That increases the cost more, but it is a minor detail. All depends on what you're looking for specifically.

IceFalcon here in the US is a great source for stainless mail. Kult of Athena has mail as well, probably stainless; I've only bought mild from them. I believe both still source their mail from India. The shipping is much cheaper since it is already stateside, not to mention faster.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #2 on: 2014-01-29, 19:59:45 »
welcome!

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #3 on: 2014-01-30, 01:30:17 »
What kind of kit are you going for? What country?
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2014-01-30, 03:44:52 »
I assume your going for full body maille with a surcoat?
Norman knight or crusader?
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Nuke

« Reply #5 on: 2014-01-31, 18:36:53 »
Yes. Normal knight.

knee-length mail hauberks with elbow-length sleeves, split at front and rear, conical helmets with a nasal bar, and leather or padded cloth greaves. mail stockings to protect their legs and feet. kite-shaped shield (paint decorated) Norman sword. 

Anything I have left out?  I haven't researched the undergarments yet...  Very thick materials I would suspect?..

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2014-01-31, 20:15:37 »
You covered most of it.
The under padding for the main hauberk is called a gambeson.
You'll need one that follows the shape of your hauberk.
Idk were to buy a knee length hauberk, I'm sure one of the knights could aid you with that.
Here this website has a decent selection of gambeson's.
It's also were I bought mine.
http://medievalcollectibles.com/c-12-arming-wear.aspx
« Last Edit: 2014-01-31, 20:16:49 by Sir Nate »
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #7 on: 2014-01-31, 22:54:06 »
You covered most of it.
The under padding for the main hauberk is called a gambeson.
You'll need one that follows the shape of your hauberk.
Idk were to buy a knee length hauberk, I'm sure one of the knights could aid you with that.
Here this website has a decent selection of gambeson's.
It's also were I bought mine.
http://medievalcollectibles.com/c-12-arming-wear.aspx

He can but he should buy a time appropriate gambeson. You can actually go to the links on the forum and explore the different sites. Or you can make your own if you want one that fits perfectly and is sure to be time appropriate! Allbeststuff.com has good quality, cheap, indian made armor maille. The only catch is the shipping. Darksword-armory.com and Albion-Swords has great sword selections that are fine and hardy.
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2014-02-01, 22:15:23 »
I love me my stainless welded mail from Master Knuut. When I go for a riveted byrnie I'm just going to buy it.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #9 on: 2014-02-17, 19:28:05 »
I believe maille leggings wouldn't be appropriate for the average Norman knight. Only King Harold and Duke William are depicted in the Bayeux Tapestry as wearing maille leggings. Additionally, though gamebsons can be documented to as early as the late 10th century, they didn't become widespread until the 13th century. To be more representative, I'd skip the gambeson and maille leggings.
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #10 on: 2014-02-18, 14:53:02 »

That's true, the Norman knights generally just had somewhat longer hauberks to cover the legs, if I recall correctly.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #11 on: 2014-02-19, 21:08:23 »

That's true, the Norman knights generally just had somewhat longer hauberks to cover the legs, if I recall correctly.

I read they may have been ankle length. Then they opened them down the center more to make horse riding more easily done
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #12 on: 2014-02-19, 21:16:08 »
Ankle length seems a bit of an exaggeration. The vast majority of soldiers in mail in the Tapestry and other contemporary sources are shown with knee length hauberks with elbow length sleeves and integral coifs.
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2014-02-19, 21:22:01 »
Ankle length would be a lot of material flopping around while on horseback, beating the poor horse mid-gallop I should think.  That's not to say there was no such thing, but I wouldn't think it a viable option for a mounted knight or man-at-arms.  Seeing as maille wasn't an item that every warrior could afford, especially during the 11th and 12th centuries, I don't know that an infantryman would have such a long hauberk either.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #14 on: 2014-02-19, 21:43:15 »
I do seem to recall accounts of ankle length hauberks — was it Harald Hardrada's hauberk "Emma" that was suppose to be that long? I don't remember. — but you know how tough guys like to exaggerate. ;) I'd say somewhere just below the knee would be more reasonable and practical for a long 'berk.
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....