"Men are not prisoners of fate, but only prisoners of their own minds."
                -- Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882 - 1945)

Author Topic: Chain Mail  (Read 20090 times)

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
Re: Chain Mail
« Reply #30 on: 2014-03-20, 00:44:03 »
I've come to understand that while gambesons do indeed date to the 10th century, their use was not widely adopted until the 13th century. While no specific sources come to mind, I've seen most historians agree that gambesons are not widely depicted in pictorial sources until the 13th century. It is possible for them to have been used, just not probable.

You might find it uncomfortable not to wear a gambeson. I have worn my butted without one and it killed my neck and shoulders. The belt can only relieve so much.

thats just it, there are no sources for gamesons or aketons before the crusades. the site james barker had said the europeans looking at the sarasins wondering about their padded garments.

the roman version isn't padded, save maybe the shoulder area and there are no pics or surviving examples, we only have the writings.

History can be so mysterious some times, but that's half the fun.
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #31 on: 2014-03-20, 03:08:17 »
You might find it uncomfortable not to wear a gambeson.

We wouldn't be in this hobby if we were concerned about being comfortable.
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #32 on: 2014-03-20, 14:02:50 »
There's no might about it, it will be uncomfortable.  As it is a hobby, one might become less enthusiastic about it if pain becomes something that must be considered for each outing.  I'm just speaking from personal experience here.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #33 on: 2014-03-20, 17:07:04 »
I've been to the hospital twice due to reenacting. It just takes dedication to history!!!
(At least we don't go so far as to have period correct dysentery).
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #34 on: 2014-03-20, 17:29:37 »
I hear you.  That sort of brings to mind a particular jousting re-enactor who was of the mind that you hadn't really participated until you were sporting numerous 'armor bites' (his were due to ill-fitting armor not made specifically for him); I think dedication levels differ with the individual and it should be the goal that hospital visits be kept to a minimum for what we term a hobby.  That said, you can be as armored as you like and still suffer injury- it does happen.

But we're talking about personal comfort- and I still see no reason to go w/out a gambeson simply because it wasn't in widespread use at the time; that it can be traced back that far is good enough for me.  Obviously, ymmv.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #35 on: 2014-03-20, 21:56:21 »
I say do what you like, if you find that you do not need one than don't get one. Just go forth with consideration that's all. You can always buy a gambeson if you need one. just don't tailor your mail to your exact body shape, so if you find that you need some padding to relieve the stress, you'll have room.
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #36 on: 2014-03-21, 21:50:34 »
They use real swords in reenacting don't they? Sign me up!
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #37 on: 2014-03-21, 21:53:38 »
I've been to the hospital twice due to reenacting. It just takes dedication to history!!!
(At least we don't go so far as to have period correct dysentery).

You have your standards, Sir Wolf has his. :D
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #38 on: 2014-03-22, 01:27:06 »
Well when Elliot visited this week with me I got to handle some of his "allbeststuff" maille. It's better quality than Icefalcon. It didnt scratch me at all nor tear threads in my gambeson. Also the flat punched rings all face ONE way so it doesnt look as uneven. My battlemerchant and GDFB maille doesnt even do that. Only complaint is it isnt as tailored as my self tailored hauberk. I may just pick one hauberk with integrated mittens and coif one day just for 12th century reenacting when I can. The rivets on the inside stick out only a little bit and they're peened to not be sharp either. It's also quite tough stuff and could bet it could stop a sharp weapon honestly.

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #39 on: 2014-03-22, 14:27:53 »
Well when Elliot visited this week with me I got to handle some of his "allbeststuff" maille. It's better quality than Icefalcon. It didnt scratch me at all nor tear threads in my gambeson. Also the flat punched rings all face ONE way so it doesnt look as uneven. My battlemerchant and GDFB maille doesnt even do that. Only complaint is it isnt as tailored as my self tailored hauberk. I may just pick one hauberk with integrated mittens and coif one day just for 12th century reenacting when I can. The rivets on the inside stick out only a little bit and they're peened to not be sharp either. It's also quite tough stuff and could bet it could stop a sharp weapon honestly.

I am glad to hear that! I definitely will be ordering my aventail from them then...and he does tailor stuff if you ask him to...or so I think I read that somewhere...

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #40 on: 2014-03-22, 14:31:27 »
http://allbeststuff.com/c-medieval-chainmail-armor/c-Chain-Mail-Camail/9-mm-Flat-Washer-Camail-with-helmet-extensions

Does this mean I won't have to tailor it to have it properly attach to a bascinet? It looks like it comes with that round shape in the front for your face...Sir Ian, you may never have to tailor maile again! :)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #41 on: 2014-03-22, 14:35:12 »
http://allbeststuff.com/c-medieval-chainmail-armor/c-Chain-Mail-Camail/9-mm-Flat-Washer-Camail-with-helmet-extensions

Does this mean I won't have to tailor it to have it properly attach to a bascinet? It looks like it comes with that round shape in the front for your face...Sir Ian, you may never have to tailor maile again! :)

Unless it happens to exactly fit your bascinet, it will require tailoring, or it will bunch up in places or be stretched in places etc.  The nice thing with that is it would require less tailoring, because you maybe could cut off the face triangles and attach them elsewhere instead of building them from scratch, but no maille goes un-tailored for the correct fit unless you happen to be very lucky.

Plus, those triangles are wrong.  They should be right triangles to give the appropriate effect.  And they probably need to be a lot taller, see Mac's drawing here:

« Last Edit: 2014-03-22, 14:37:10 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

scott2978

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Be generous, passionate, and resolute
    • Dice and Steel
« Reply #42 on: 2014-04-12, 19:38:19 »
I concur. Plus, it's probably the easiest maille tailoring you'll ever do.

That does not mean it will be easy, BTW :)

Scott

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #43 on: 2014-04-13, 18:26:24 »
I'm about to take the plunge and make a purchase at Custom Chainmail.  I saw him advertising over on the AA, and I've emailed back and forth a couple times.  He does shirts to custom measurements, which is a really nice feature.  I'm going to replace my pin riveted franken-haubergeon with a wedge riveted more fitted version.  I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #44 on: 2014-04-14, 01:08:54 »
I'm sure you'll be more satisfied with wedge riveted maille, it's so much smoother and doesnt tear gambesons up nearly so easily. Just looked at their stuff and they do offer it in a 38 inch chest which is my chest size though I aint making anymore purchases with maille as I already have a tailored hauberk.