"Men are not prisoners of fate, but only prisoners of their own minds."
                -- Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882 - 1945)

Author Topic: Heraldic Design  (Read 58642 times)

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
Re: Heraldic Design
« Reply #105 on: 2014-06-07, 11:56:52 »
SCA is funny in what they deem historical, or appropriately suited as far as specifications in heraldry. Keeping it simple is the standard. No pun intended. Actual family crest is hard to deny by the College of scribes who maintain the heraldric rules. Their rules can be challenged and changed by petition if there is questionable conflict.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Timothy

• "The whole of heraldry and of chivalry is in courtesy" Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Amateur Herald of Arms
« Reply #106 on: 2014-06-07, 18:17:03 »
thanks
[br Barry Or and Vert surmounting a Bend counterchanged],
a Lion rampant armed and langued Gules
 an Orle of eight Trefoils slipped Sable counterchanged Or .

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #107 on: 2014-06-07, 20:14:02 »

The SCA also discourages (or disallows, I'm not sure which) the use of existing heraldry from the real world. That is, you shouldn't use your own family's arms.

Getting it to pass is also a challenge from the standpoint of uniqueness. If it too closely resembles other already-registered arms, then it won't pass. They require at least two points of difference from all other arms, if I recall correctly.

Simple is better, but some of the simplest arms are also difficult because they may resemble something else too closely. For instance, even if you use a bird that no one else is using, most birds can look the same from a distance, so if the colors and positioning match, it might still not pass.

Generally speaking, if you want to register your arms, you should get it passed before painting it on anything.

In terms of them disallowing your use of heraldry that is not passed-- Obviously they can't stop you from painting shields, or using it at non-SCA events. But they will probably enforce it if you try to use that heraldry in an official tournament. Beyond that, I'm not sure.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #108 on: 2014-06-08, 03:47:03 »
I’ve been using my non-registered arms for over 12 years in the SCA.

The College of Heralds has shot down more of my name and arms submissions than I can recall.  In one instance, a regional deputy denied a submission that was written for me by another herald!   :o

At this point I’m over it and use what I want on the field of combat and in tournaments.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #109 on: 2014-06-16, 18:20:27 »
I’ve been using my non-registered arms for over 12 years in the SCA.

The College of Heralds has shot down more of my name and arms submissions than I can recall.  In one instance, a regional deputy denied a submission that was written for me by another herald!   :o

At this point I’m over it and use what I want on the field of combat and in tournaments.

Ack! Another herald wrote my stuff...hopefully it passes...my name is pretty easy to register as the name shows up in 15th century manuscripts...lets hope my heraldry passes...if not I will wear my tunic anyway...because you know...I am a rebel :)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #110 on: 2014-06-16, 20:00:09 »

Yeah, the results can vary quite a bit. I registered mine back in 2008, and it went through on the first attempt... which is a good thing, considering I painted shields already, and wasn't going to change it. ;)

Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Martyn

• Knight Itinerant
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Courage Honor Faith Humility Justice Prowess Mercy
« Reply #111 on: 2014-06-19, 14:01:48 »
What's the link for registration submission?  Also, am I correct in guessing you must be an active SCA member to do so?
« Last Edit: 2014-06-19, 14:02:02 by Martyn »
Among the greatest evils we face are those which lie within.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #112 on: 2014-06-19, 14:18:31 »
What's the link for registration submission?  Also, am I correct in guessing you must be an active SCA member to do so?

Technically yes, but I'm not sure if they bother to verify that or not.

Do they have a link for it? That's a good question. I did mine at the herald's tent at Pennsic.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #113 on: 2014-06-19, 22:27:55 »

You submit you stuff through your Kingdoms Heralds (who's your local branch Herald?), and the SCA got permission to not worry about conflicting with real world designs so long as they are not direct copies. You can use your families heraldry if you can prove you have a mundane legal right to, as some have.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #114 on: 2014-06-20, 01:52:23 »

You submit you stuff through your Kingdoms Heralds (who's your local branch Herald?), and the SCA got permission to not worry about conflicting with real world designs so long as they are not direct copies. You can use your families heraldry if you can prove you have a mundane legal right to, as some have.

My ribs are common family heraldry for Acosta family names...but the colors and design is my own...I should be fine :)

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #115 on: 2014-06-20, 06:56:54 »

My ribs are common family heraldry for Acosta family names...but the colors and design is my own...I should be fine :)
Those ribs are quite common. I had them just the other day with some BBQ sauce.

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #116 on: 2014-06-21, 03:24:30 »
As promised, this summer I would edit my heraldry in hope I come closer to my goal. Here is an updated version I decided on. The difference here is I made the stag more simple, I also made the green slightly darker. but I cant decide on the right shade of green that I want. I also smoothed and thinned out the border a bit as well. I think either this summer or the next, I will try to join a local SCA group near Philadelphia and submit my heraldry, that is if I decide that this is it.

Here I also have an idea for a surcoat. I cannot find a way to incorporate the stag though. I chose this pattern because if I were to make a hart/stag crest for my helm it would replace the need for it on my surcoat. Though, I could just put the chief and 3 formee crosses on the surcoat on the bosom. Opinions?
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #117 on: 2014-06-21, 04:22:31 »
Nice job, Aiden. The parti-color surcoat with counter-changing crosses is perfect look. Go with it.  ;D

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #118 on: 2014-06-21, 12:41:22 »

I actually really like that. Nice job!
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #119 on: 2014-06-21, 14:01:46 »
Very cool!
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal