"Honor isn't about making the right choices. It's about dealing with the consequences."
                -- Koto Midori

Author Topic: Globose w/ Fauld  (Read 25884 times)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Re: Globose w/ Fauld
« Reply #30 on: 2013-10-18, 16:36:10 »
oooooooooooooooooooooooooo those would look awesome

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #31 on: 2013-10-19, 12:17:34 »
James, for 16th century have you considered getting those big bear paw square-toed sabs for your kit?

Definitely! They would be more accurate to the time frame of my harness, and that's a great idea. It's on my list of near future upgrades to make. I've only found one place that makes them, which is overseas, and I have never ordered from. One other style I'd really love to get my hands on is the ones with the sabatons integrated into the greaves (http://www.forgeofsvan.com/en/Leg-defenses/Greaves-with-sabatons/Detailed-product-flyer.html), but this is the only place I've found that makes them, and the verbiage sounds like it is a repro and not made to measure.

I may ask Mad Matt if he'd make me a set, since he made my current ones, and just make the same but with a different, squared end cap. Only thing I want to do prior to that is come up with a way that I'm happy with my fauld (3rd iteration, still not happy), and then voiders.

Do you know of anywhere that makes the square toed version that isn't out of my price range? Wasson and Hedgecock most likely are, as I'm just going for mild steel, since it would match the rest of the harness. Other than the end cap, sabatons seem to be a reasonably easy piece to make (given that I can reverse engineer the pattern from mine), and I may have a go at making a pair or two myself.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #32 on: 2013-10-19, 17:05:45 »
Back on the books with Jeff for the sabs!  And in other news... I finally did it... placed the order with Lorifactor for a proper plaque belt!

James, the forge of svan sabs do not look right.  The square toed sabs of the early 16th century don't have sharp edges like that.  They are straight across the leading edge, but otherwise very rounded.  The toe should be much fuller.  I don't know of any production armorers that make them, but I would inquire with Jeff Hildebrandt at Royal Oak if I were you and get a quote.  He's pretty reasonable from what I understand and he does outstanding work.   He's easily on par with the other Jeffs from what I can tell.  He will work in mild or heat treated spring as far as I know.

You would also be wearing spurs that attach directly to the back of the greave or sab, they wouldn't be strapped on at all.

« Last Edit: 2013-10-19, 17:11:37 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #33 on: 2013-10-21, 14:28:34 »
As far as I can tell, the Forge of Svan pictures in the link I posted are of the actual original piece from a private collection, and not their repro. I'm not sure which harness it goes with, or if it's just a one-off piece without harness. The pics you posted are great. Those are the ones I'm used to seeing with that fuller rounded toe. I question how good of an idea that is from an equestrian perspective and trying to get a wider object through the stirrup, but that's another subject and I have no horsemanship skills, nor horse, so if it's historically correct, I'm happy.

Congrats on the new sabatons and the plaque belt! Definitely want to see pics of both of those when they arrive!

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #34 on: 2014-09-01, 04:05:46 »
Ian, I was doing some google image searching and the picture of your cuirass popped up from this thread. I just noticed, the fauld lames all underlap each other, instead of overlap. I'm sure you or Wasson had a historical source for this. I'm curious what it is?

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #35 on: 2014-09-01, 13:22:24 »
From Jeff's research, underlapping is consistent with earlier faulds, while overlapping became the predominant method later in the 15th century.
My Pinterest

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #36 on: 2014-09-02, 19:39:14 »
From Jeff's research, underlapping is consistent with earlier faulds, while overlapping became the predominant method later in the 15th century.

Time for some brain work on why they changed over and how it affects movement. :D Thanks!

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #37 on: 2014-09-02, 21:36:47 »
Here James, dated to the last quarter of the 14th century from the Pistoia silver altarpiece, an example of an underlapping fauld on a breasplate.  The bottom photo is the documented use of the strapping configuration on my copy:

My Pinterest

scott2978

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Be generous, passionate, and resolute
    • Dice and Steel
« Reply #38 on: 2014-09-07, 19:51:31 »
Hey Ian, Jeff Hildebrandt is working on a similar breastplate with fauld for me now, and we've been discussing how to attach the fauld historically. So I'm curious, how did Jeff Wasson attach yours?

Scott

PS:
My new Galaxy Note 3 doesn't want to call you "Sir Iran" like my old phone. Cheers!

« Last Edit: 2014-09-07, 19:52:09 by scott2978 »

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #39 on: 2014-09-07, 21:41:43 »
Hey Ian, Jeff Hildebrandt is working on a similar breastplate with fauld for me now, and we've been discussing how to attach the fauld historically. So I'm curious, how did Jeff Wasson attach yours?

Scott

PS:
My new Galaxy Note 3 doesn't want to call you "Sir Iran" like my old phone. Cheers!

I'm glad to hear that I'm once again American :)

The fauld lames are floated on three leathers and fixed with rivets.

My Pinterest

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #40 on: 2014-09-08, 10:07:02 »
Hard to believe they had all that articulation skill and noone thought up a backplate until the 15th century. Sad.  ???
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #41 on: 2014-09-08, 14:27:56 »
Hard to believe they had all that articulation skill and noone thought up a backplate until the 15th century. Sad.  ???

I guess that would be dictated by how picky you are on the definition of 'backplate.'  They had multi-plate or segmented back defense in the 14th century.  Every now and then an effigy or manuscript gives us a glimpse of a side hinge on a breastplate.  The problem is that until the early 15th century everyone covered up their armor, so we can't see!  But a definitive single piece backplate?  1st half of the 15th.
My Pinterest

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #42 on: 2014-09-08, 14:55:18 »
Thanks Sir Ian!

Now, about that weird lobster-tail articulated thing on the bottom of the helmet or upper back of that guy... never noticed it before, and never seen that kind of thing on the upper back. It's like the triangular fauld teleported...

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #43 on: 2014-09-13, 23:34:53 »

guy looks liek he's totally like "Gurllllllllllllllll, oh no you ditaint"

Ian