"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
                -- Eddie Rickenbacker

Author Topic: Globose w/ Fauld  (Read 25887 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Globose w/ Fauld
« Reply #15 on: 2013-10-16, 12:52:15 »
We need to get you and Christian Cameron together for some photos.
« Last Edit: 2013-10-16, 12:52:26 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 2013-10-16, 13:32:03 »
Huzzah for plate! Very awesome picture!!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #17 on: 2013-10-16, 17:59:22 »
Looking superb, Sir Ian! You truly are an exemplar for any hopeful late 14th century types!
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 2013-10-16, 19:19:51 »
Thanks guys!  Bob Charrette was helpful in pointing me to what I need to work on to make some improvements, so I'm trying to work my way back on to Jeff Wasson's schedule for some work in a few months.  I am hoping to replace my sabs with some more historically correct ones, and then I will be happy with all my hard kit pieces.  Eventually I will need to replace my jupon with a more accurate interpretation and obtain a plaque belt.  I think I'm going to bite the bullet and place an order with Lorifactor for a plaque belt in my heraldic colors of Argent and Sable...  ;D
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #19 on: 2013-10-16, 19:31:19 »

Awesome! Yeah, Bob is always good for some advice.

What's wrong with your sabatons? I thought they looked pretty good.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 2013-10-16, 20:22:21 »
The method of construction and fastening of the heel on my sabs is ahistoric.  Instead of building a hinge, he just floated the heel/foot interface on a piece of leather.  Halberds also used modern (aluminum I think) grommets for the toe pointing holes, and the top opening is too large and not closely fitted to the ankle so they wind up outside the bottom of the greaves.  I didn't know enough about sab construction when I ordered them 3 years ago and so when I asked for historically accurate, I just didn't know any better and assumed it was good to go.  The general shaping is just a little off too.

They should have a metal hinge construction to attach the heel plate, and then a small leather strap to secure the other side, though some examples seem to use a small hook/clasp assembly on the side opposite the hinge.  The top of the sabaton must interface with the greaves and provide seamless coverage between the top of the sab and the bottom of the greave while not impeding movement.  The sab should be inside the greave, not the other way around.

They should look like this:

« Last Edit: 2013-10-16, 20:22:49 by Ian »
My Pinterest

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #21 on: 2013-10-16, 21:17:38 »
That's interesting about the sabaton construction. I must make a mental note of that in case I ever get around to making something other than helms.

When you say a leather strap to secure the other side, would it be secured with a buckle?
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 2013-10-16, 22:23:37 »
When you say a leather strap to secure the other side, would it be secured with a buckle?

Yes, you can see it here:

« Last Edit: 2013-10-16, 22:23:56 by Ian »
My Pinterest

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #23 on: 2013-10-16, 22:55:14 »
Well dang, then I guess I shouldn't order sabs from the same place you got yours. :)

I don't mind cheating a little, as long as I know why/how it's cheating. But might as well aim for as accurate as possible once you know better.
« Last Edit: 2013-10-16, 22:55:24 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #24 on: 2013-10-16, 22:59:37 »
Ah, okay. I see. Thank you!
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 2013-10-16, 23:03:29 »
Well dang, then I guess I shouldn't order sabs from the same place you got yours. :)

I don't mind cheating a little, as long as I know why/how it's cheating. But might as well aim for as accurate as possible once you know better.

Halberds does good work, and he's pretty much specialized into and known for his sabatons, but he caters to the SCA as far as I know, so I suspect that the research into construction is not as exacting as the guys who cater to very accurate historical reproduction.  My goal is to one day not have to explain why any piece of my armor may not be as accurate as we can get it in the modern day, so I'm really just being very nitpicky with the sabs.
My Pinterest

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 2013-10-17, 12:38:25 »
I'd say you could replace the leather with a hand made hinge, but that still doesn't take care of the ankle/heel area. That's one thing that I had a hard time getting satisfactory too. The "churburg" sabatons by GDFB are more or less hopeless at my skill level. The ones I got from Mad Matt were pretty good, though it's more coincidence that they happened to fit well with my HammerBreaker greaves. I ordered them unstrapped and unhinged so I could do it myself and trim off any extra in the back so the heel plate would sit close to the back of my foot. They make that nice "pocket" effect where the sabs sit right inside of the greaves, as you're describing.

Found a good pic of a view from the bottom and side too:

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #27 on: 2013-10-17, 15:35:55 »
My God James, you mean your wife let you seat that oily plate on the living room couch?!? Must have left quite the stain.. Oh wait, that isn't oil, is it??? LOL
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #28 on: 2013-10-17, 16:34:56 »
My God James, you mean your wife let you seat that oily plate on the living room couch?!? Must have left quite the stain.. Oh wait, that isn't oil, is it??? LOL

Pfft, oil? Eh. I think my wife took that pic? Anyways, it was the riveted mail fauld that left a few holes in the cushions. Flipped 'em over, no big deal. Still less furniture damage than the cats cause. ;)

I didn't have any other decent shots of those sabs & greaves together, as I just got those greaves a year ago.

We're wandering a bit. Should we split this thread to sabatons / accuracy?

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #29 on: 2013-10-18, 15:22:23 »
James, for 16th century have you considered getting those big bear paw square-toed sabs for your kit?
My Pinterest