Main > The Round Table

What would you have been in the medieval age?

<< < (14/15) > >>

Corvus:
Indeed  ;)

Lord Dane:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-04-18, 16:28:52 ---Tracing back ancestors to Charlemagne, Nobility, The 10th Earl of Umptysquatshire doesn't really mean much.  If you look at the branches of a family tree and how many splits occur between now and then, statistically, most everyone has some connection to someone who touched history.  I think people over-emphasize those connections and dismiss the other 100 that aren't as flashy.  I'm not trying to take away from your lineage, but understand that when you're 25 generations removed, so much else contributed to that family tree, that a single leaf from 750 years ago does not translate into anything substantive today. 

I guess this topic should really say 'What do you wish you would have been in the medieval age?' :)

--- End quote ---

Agreed. We all know royals & nobles got their 'junk' into everyone's business then over the generations creating all kinds of bloodline relations & family ties of illegitimate means. To say you are related to someone of significance then who mostly has no importance today, is the same as saying you almost won the lottery. Doesn't get you anything or anywhere...but maybe creates some interesting scandals.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2013-04-18, 17:36:04 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2013-04-18, 16:30:55 ---ooooooooh wish?

then i'd be a king. why? cause i aint got $#% all over me

--- End quote ---

I'm with you. It's good to be the king. :)

--- End quote ---

Why? Because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at you? :)

B. Patricius:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2013-04-18, 23:35:26 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2013-04-18, 17:36:04 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2013-04-18, 16:30:55 ---ooooooooh wish?

then i'd be a king. why? cause i aint got $#% all over me

--- End quote ---

I'm with you. It's good to be the king. :)

--- End quote ---

Why? Because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at you? :)

--- End quote ---
and isn't that why the SCA, Adrian Empire, WMAs, etc etc etc all appeal to us one and all?   ;D

--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-04-18, 16:28:52 ---
Tracing back ancestors to Charlemagne, Nobility, The 10th Earl of Umptysquatshire doesn't really mean much.  If you look at the branches of a family tree and how many splits occur between now and then, statistically, most everyone has some connection to someone who touched history.  I think people over-emphasize those connections and dismiss the other 100 that aren't as flashy.  I'm not trying to take away from your lineage, but understand that when you're 25 generations removed, so much else contributed to that family tree, that a single leaf from 750 years ago does not translate into anything substantive today. 

I guess this topic should really say 'What do you wish you would have been in the medieval age?' :)

--- End quote ---

and I must say, that and your response of "a peasant, just like everyone else." Was very well said Ian.  And very humble considering what your esteemed profession is.  I do love the sound of hawks on the horizon.  They're truly a symbol of "home" for some of us.  And even if your job flying that hawk is nothing more than as some of my other flyboy friends would say "esteemed taxi driver" without you guys, it would be a very very long walk!

But still, I like to do living history personas, not just a "name and look" as some do, which is fine.  And in that, I must say, if my family were to approve, I'd run and join the Church, and fight alongside my brothers, for it isn't the hatred of those in front, but the love of those around and behind us that drives us now, and I hope that was still true back then.  Not like in "Kingdom of Heaven"...

beyond that, lets say I could become Grandmaster of an order... now that would be nice! 8)

Justin:
Well, a few years ago, I felt the desire to enlist into the military and serve my country, so I wager that were I alive in the medieval ages, I probably would have felt that same desire to serve my kingdom. I think I would remain a Soldier.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version