"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society."
                -- Theodore Roosevelt

Author Topic: Is this a good selection/deal  (Read 18187 times)

Timothy

• "The whole of heraldry and of chivalry is in courtesy" Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Amateur Herald of Arms
Is this a good selection/deal
« on: 2013-08-26, 01:11:10 »
Hi am looking at a number of items and found this on ebay for $69.00

The Knights Templar Dagger and Leather Sheath. Medieval Collector / Knife

is this a good piece/price?

Thanks

Tim

[br Barry Or and Vert surmounting a Bend counterchanged],
a Lion rampant armed and langued Gules
 an Orle of eight Trefoils slipped Sable counterchanged Or .

Timothy

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Amateur Herald of Arms
Re: Is this a good selection/deal
« Reply #1 on: 2013-08-26, 01:24:01 »
And
This one for $105.00Knight Of Templar Sword Blade length: 33 1/2" Overall length: 41" Handle length: 9" Brass.

Handle comes with sheath.

440 Stainless steel blade.

Thanks

Tim

Timothy

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Amateur Herald of Arms
« Reply #2 on: 2013-08-26, 01:35:55 »
 or this one for $170.00 Knight Of Templar Sword Blade length: 33 1/2" Overall length: 41" Handle length: 9" Brass.

Handle comes with sheath.

440 Stainless steel blade.

Thanks

Tim

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2013-08-26, 01:56:26 »
What would be your intended use?  Stainless steel swords are designed as nothing more than 'wall hangers.'  Basically, they're just display only objects.  Stainless steel is brittle in long sword blade lengths, and would be very dangerous to use.  Swords like that also generally have what are called 'rat-tail tangs.'  A thin dowel of steel is quickly welded on to the shoulders of the blade to fix a grip to, so if you hit anything with it or even just swing it hard, the tang will separate and you'll have a whirling flying stainless steel blade-o-death helicoptering it's way across the yard.

So, as long as you intend to just use these for display only, then they'd be perfectly fine.

If you're interested in something more historical or something you could us for cutting, or just to say 'this is the real deal,' many of us here are pretty big historical sword geeks and there's a lot of knowledge between us.  We could advise you if you let us know what appeals to you.  Real swords are constructed very differently than stainless steel display pieces. 
« Last Edit: 2013-08-26, 02:04:18 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2013-08-26, 02:28:46 »
I'd suggest save your money and get something better. I have the same sword and it handles like crap and I regret purchasing it. You can get a hanwei tinker for about the same price of 170 and it's much better, or you could get the practical norman which is also period for the early crusade, not as good as an albion but an excellent starter sword for a kit.
« Last Edit: 2013-08-26, 02:32:10 by Sir Ulrich »

Timothy

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Amateur Herald of Arms
« Reply #5 on: 2013-08-26, 03:05:08 »
Thanks

Ok for use stainless steel is out. What should I be looking for in the $200-$400 range?

Tim

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2013-08-26, 03:12:39 »
Theres a lot of swords on Kult of Athena that are battle ready. Hanwei makes good starter swords, some of Deepeeka's newer stuff i've never seen but it looks better from the pics I have seen. Albion or Arms and Armor are the best you can get but they're pricey. Del Tin are also rather good and historically accurate but not as much as Albion of Arms and Armor. Windlass is a hit or miss, but most of their stuff is not as good as the rest, I prefer Hanwei to Windlass personally but a few of their things are rather good like their type XIV sword which can be a project sword to make well but thats a bit late for your time period.
Heres a link to KOA's stuff http://www.kultofathena.com/swords.asp
« Last Edit: 2013-08-26, 03:15:34 by Sir Ulrich »

Timothy

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Amateur Herald of Arms
« Reply #7 on: 2013-08-26, 03:26:44 »
Sir Ulrich, Thank you.

I will take a look. 

So how about this one I was looking at this yesterday
it is by Legacy Arms.

Knights Templar Sword for $279.00

Specifications:

Blade length: 34.5"
Handle/Hilt length: 8.5"
Overall: 43"
Balance Point: 5.0" Below Hilt
Weight: 3 lbs. 1.4 oz.

Note: The blade is 3/16" 5160 high carbon steel with a full hefty tang. We tested it on several! 2"x4" standing up and split them! with no marring on the blade! . We the n tested it on a 2"x4" cross ways resting on each side on a solid rest and came straight down. It did not cut all the way through but it did cut deep and again did not mar the blade or edge. We then went to the ultimate test Steel-to-SteelSM. We did 9 good blows, it nicked the blade but did not break the blade not break the tang or handle in either of these test.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #8 on: 2013-08-26, 03:48:11 »
Those ones are rather much heavy crow bars that handle nothing like a real sword would. Sure they're tough but what exactly kind of sword are you looking for? Like what period, my vibe is crusades if so I could help you good there as thats an era I reenacted in.

Timothy

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Amateur Herald of Arms
« Reply #9 on: 2013-08-26, 04:28:23 »
Hello Sir Ulrich,

Yes Crusades but I am flexible. I am more interested  in learning right now more than portraying anybody.

Hope that helps

Thanks

Tim

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #10 on: 2013-08-26, 04:38:56 »
I've always felt a Del Tin is a good entry level sword. Full-tang and peaned so they don't rattle and the blades have good flex without being floppy. The ones I've owned have all handled and cut well. My 5140 was my first sword, and after nearly 20 years is still one of my favorites.
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #11 on: 2013-08-26, 04:53:36 »
Ah well for starters theres no such thing as a "crusader sword" there are such a things as Oakeshott classification. http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_oakeshott.html
It's a bit of a read but it's well worth it. Most of Europe used similar stuff and I would suggest getting a type X as they're rather good for early medieval which could portray anywhere from the first to the third crusade well into the early 14th century. Would be one sword that could span you a few eras.
Yeah I would second on the Del Tin option, you'll pay a bit cause you gotta commission a scabbard but I have handled one in person and rather liked it. Best to not spend money on the cheapies like I have, the only thing I can really do now is help others buy the best stuff now.
http://www.kultofathena.com/deltin.asp
I also know where to get good riveted maille for low prices and gambesons as well as good shoes and helms if you're interested.

Timothy

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Amateur Herald of Arms
« Reply #12 on: 2013-08-26, 07:08:59 »
Thank you Sirs Patrick and Ulrich,

I have looked over Del Tin type X  and the 12th Century Medieval Sword. I like them both and I think either one will do very nicely.

Thank you for the reference to Oakeshott I will certainly use it.

Tim

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2013-08-26, 16:01:16 »
SwordBuyersGuide.com is your best friend for the $200-$400 functional swords range
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #14 on: 2013-08-26, 19:16:18 »
In the <$500 price range, here are some thoughts on different manufacturers:

Del Tin makes some nice historical designs. They really only have two main "flaws", one of which is fairly subjective. They're a little on the blade-heavy side, but not completely "out of spec" either. They just favor the more heavier end of the spectrum. The other is that they are unsharpened. They will take an edge, but due to export restrictions in Italy, they can't sharpen them in advance. Otherwise, these are a fantastic starting point, since they know their history.

Darksword Armory has a few models that are more fantasy-ish, but they also have some nice swords that are well made for the price. You just have to know what you're looking for.

The Hanwei line has some decent offerings. The Tinker Pearce models are reasonable for the price. Some of these lack some of the historical subtleties, but that's just going to be the case in this price range.

Windlass can be real hit-or-miss. Every once in a while they have a decent offering, but others will be more disappointing. Some are historically inspired without being truly historical, if you know what I mean.

Generation 2 makes some OK swords. Like the Hanwei offerings, they're going to miss out on subtle details, but will be OK for the price. Some of their models are more fantasy.

Armor Class is probably similar to Hanwei, and Gen2, but I don't know them well.

If historical accuracy matters, stay away from anything from United Cutlery, Knight's Edge (ritter steel), Depeeka. A lot of these are what we call an SLO (sword-like object).

Cold Steel is "meh", as the accuracy and handling isn't great, but not stupidly bad either.

If you're willing to go up in price some, Lutel makes some decent stuff.

And if price doesn't matter as much, then I would point you to just about anything made by A&A (armor.com) and Albion Swords. These two are the top sword makers here in the US, IMHO. For the last 5 years or so, they're the only ones I've been buying from, aside from a Del Tin.

Disclaimer: This is off the top of my head. I haven't bought from most of these companies in several years, and these impressions come from the models I've had, and browsing through their catalogs a while back. Things may have changed, or I may have confused some details. YMMV.

You'll find a lot of these on KoA:

http://www.kultofathena.com/swords-medieval.asp

KoA has very good prices, and customer service.
« Last Edit: 2013-08-26, 19:20:31 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )