"Chivalry is itself the poetry of life."
      -- Schlegel, Philosophy of History

Author Topic: Is this a good selection/deal  (Read 18186 times)

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
Re: Is this a good selection/deal
« Reply #15 on: 2013-08-28, 00:58:46 »
Didn't realize Del Tin couldn't sharpen. I got all if mine from MRL many years ago and they offered a sharpening service.
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #16 on: 2013-08-28, 03:19:25 »
strongblade.com has alot of cheap hand made high carbon indian steel blades.
I got one called the warspike for $79.
it's battle ready.
They have good quality swords. I guaranty it.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Timothy

• "The whole of heraldry and of chivalry is in courtesy" Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Amateur Herald of Arms
« Reply #17 on: 2013-08-28, 05:06:33 »
Didn't realize Del Tin couldn't sharpen. I got all if mine from MRL many years ago and they offered a sharpening service.

The Del Tin I am looking can be sharpen for an extra $18.00.

Tim
[br Barry Or and Vert surmounting a Bend counterchanged],
a Lion rampant armed and langued Gules
 an Orle of eight Trefoils slipped Sable counterchanged Or .

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 2013-08-28, 13:11:05 »

Del Tin will not sharpen their swords due to export restrictions as Sir Edward mentioned, but their distributors often have that option available, like MRL.
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #19 on: 2013-08-28, 16:17:04 »
it's battle ready.

I believe Sir Nate is starting to sound like a sound-piece in a commercial. Guaranteed a career in sales/marketing. LOL
« Last Edit: 2013-08-30, 03:16:16 by Lord Dane »
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 2013-08-29, 19:32:02 »
it's battle ready.

The Warspike comes in two different versions, the $79 version is of un-tempered steel which means it is unsuitable for combat or anything else that requires a well tempered blade being able to flex properly, be it in fencing or cutting exercises.  The tempered version goes for $139 and to have it sharpened means the price goes up to $155.  As far as sub-$300 swords go, Strongblade isn't a bad choice, but keep in mind, they've copied swords from other makers...in some cases, like the Knight Protector sword, came out better than the original Hanwei singlehander it is modeled after but you'll have to deal with the little things, inconsistencies that are most often present on lower-end swords.  It doesn't mean that they are no good- only that as you go, you'll find your tastes will run to the higher end of the spectrum which offers up a lot more options to choose from, and usually better to much better quality.

As Ulrich did, I went for the cheapies first and amassed quite a collection, only to sell most of them off when I realized what I was looking for was not going to be found in that price bracket.  Or the bracket after.  Of all the cheapies I've had, I've kept only three, one for sentimental value (it was my wedding sword) and the other two belong to my wife.  I don't have as many as I used to, but the quality of the swords I do have is head and shoulders above anything you'll find for less than say, $700. 

Sir James' advice about visiting SBG Sword Forum is excellent advice; they are the definitive resource for swords in the sub-$300 price range...and with in-depth reviews of most of the models as well.  Decent forum too.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #21 on: 2013-08-29, 21:16:06 »
Tim,

good question bud, and I have to agree with everyone else on here thus far.  The only thing I'd like to add is I've had personal experience with both of these swords:
http://www.cashanwei.com/product/practical-single-hand-sword/sh2046

http://www.cashanwei.com/product/practical-norman-sword/sh2326

and while not being 100% authentic, they definitely get the job done as an introductory single hand sword like the one you were looking at.  They also fit well with a Templar persona if that's what you're going for. These aren't sharpened and are good for reenactment combat. 

Both of those weapons have basically become the ubiquitous backbone of the Adrian Empire for our live steel competitions.  Their balance, their strength, and their warranty combined with their price, they're awfully hard to beat for a reenactment weapon.

They're not my all-time favorite, but they're awesome starters for sure.

Baltimor Knife & Sword (BKS on Kult of Athena) is a wonderful but heavy sword.  LOVE them! :D They're more expensive than Hanwei, and definitely have "character quirks" to them.  Very good practical rebated blade.

As for cutting swords, I only have experience with the top dollar ones for any extensive time.  For cutters, the golden rule "you get what you pay for" seems to hold true. 

Arms & Armour, Albion to me are some of the best commercial sword companies, but even then they're a small shop business.  All things considered, they're simply wonderful.

Darksword Armoury seems to be a really good economy cutter.  I'd ask Sir Nathan Q (in the Teutonic Order) here on the forums, he has one and seems to like it.  I'm looking at those myself for one or two.

Then there are the small one-man armourers that are known strictly through word of mouth.  They're more expensive than Albion or Arms & Armour but pretty much only do custom work.
« Last Edit: 2013-08-29, 21:24:06 by B. Patricius »
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Timothy

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Amateur Herald of Arms
« Reply #22 on: 2013-08-29, 23:23:13 »
Patricius  et al,

Thank you and all the others for the suggestions and advice. It is appreciated.
Isabella has agreed to make my surcoat but can not start it until Christmas time.
I can concentrate on the sword selection and the other items I need in the mean time .

Tim 

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 2013-08-30, 14:09:31 »
Careful with BKS. If it's the same Baltimore Knife & Sword from the Maryland Renn Fest, and that does/did have a storefront at the Tysons Corner mall, I bought the "Braveheart" sword from them about 15 years ago. I paid $349. A couple weeks later I saw it in the MRL catalog for $199. Quite the buyer's remorse, enough so that I still whine about it 15 years later. :)

Haven't had any trouble with the sword, per se, but it's a stainless steel wall hanger only. Had I known what I know about swords now, I'd have never paid that price knowing it can't safely be used functionally. That was not widely disseminated info in the late 90s, though. :(

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #24 on: 2013-08-30, 16:07:46 »
Careful with BKS. If it's the same Baltimore Knife & Sword from the Maryland Renn Fest, and that does/did have a storefront at the Tysons Corner mall, I bought the "Braveheart" sword from them about 15 years ago. I paid $349. A couple weeks later I saw it in the MRL catalog for $199. Quite the buyer's remorse, enough so that I still whine about it 15 years later. :)

I think you're mixing them up with Chesapeake Knife & Tool. BKS was the one at MDRF, but never had storefronts in the malls. The latter was CK&T. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 2013-08-30, 16:12:57 »
BKS is very reputable from my understanding.  They mostly deal in custom work and they do all the weapons for the US Battle of the Nations team.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Timothy

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Amateur Herald of Arms
« Reply #26 on: 2013-09-03, 20:55:49 »
Hi All,

Just saw a reference to BKS on the  Order Facebook page. Good or not? Their prices seem very completive.

Thanks

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #27 on: 2013-09-03, 21:11:18 »

Their swords tend to be on the heavy side, and some of their designs are more fantasy, with many others looking more period appropriate. They're not always the most historic, but they do build their swords to be tough. As usual, it comes down to what you're looking for.

For my taste, the blades aren't historic enough. That is, they lack the right kind of distal taper (historically they should get thinner toward the tip), and the fullers aren't adequate to removing a lot of the weight. Both of those explain a lot of the heavy feel. But they certainly look good and are durable.

Granted it's been quite a few years since I last handled one, since they left MDRF probably 8-10 years ago. They used to be ground-down from bar-stock, many with axe-wedge edges.

My first "functional" sword I ever bought came from them, back when they were much simpler and more clunky. I bought it when I was a teen, probably at the end of the '80s or around 1990. That one definitely was just axe-wedges ground into bar-stock. They got a lot better at sword-making after that.

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Timothy

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Amateur Herald of Arms
« Reply #28 on: 2013-09-03, 21:55:44 »
Sir Edward,

Thanks. They are off the list as I am looking for historic and tough.

Tim

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #29 on: 2013-09-04, 18:04:56 »

I think you're mixing them up with Chesapeake Knife & Tool. BKS was the one at MDRF, but never had storefronts in the malls. The latter was CK&T. :)

Ah, bingo, Chesapeake Knife & Tool it was. Baltimore, Chesapeake .. I'm geographically challenged.

No personal experience with BKS, then.