"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
                -- Thomas Edison

Author Topic: under armor and pockets  (Read 8091 times)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
under armor and pockets
« on: 2013-08-20, 19:03:26 »
I have a leather pouch i use for phone and wallet, and i wear long john under my leg armor and a turtle neck under my mail. is there any kinds of under armor until i get a gambeson or mail chauses that you would recommend using. and how come no one makes surcoats with pockets(joke).
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: under armor and pockets
« Reply #1 on: 2013-08-20, 21:36:22 »
I have a leather pouch too. And usually, a squire. ;)

You can easily sew a pocket inside gambeson. I've laced my car keys directly to my arming coat under my armor before. Worked well, and the sweat didn't ruin them. Plan is to sew an interior pocket on it, though.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2013-08-20, 21:53:55 »
I was going to ask why you wore longjohns and a turtleneck but I think you wear it in place of a gambeson and maybe padded chausses.  If your hauberk is heavy, nothing beats a nice padded gambeson; in fact, I'm getting ready to let one go that I don't need because I had one custom-made for me.  If you've a 42" chest and 34" waist (or a couple inches in either direction) it'll suit you.  PM me if you're interested.

As for the little things, I too have a leather pouch just big enough for my ID, car keys, phone and a small billfold; if my wife's with me then some of that gets transferred to her purse.  ;)
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: 2013-08-20, 22:23:12 »
Leather pouches are very period for carrying ones belongings. I wear one in my reenacting. Of course, it's under the armor when I armor up, but I can still get to it pretty easilly. I've started hooking my leather costrel to my sword belt by means of a forged belt hook, since I wear that over my armor. I would imagine pikemen did much the same back in the day. Padding of some sort is a must under your armor. I wear a leather buff coat under mine, but for you earlier period types a gambeson or arming coat would be the equivalent. Padded Chausses or hose should be worn under any leg protection.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2013-08-21, 06:18:45 »
Just remeber to take out the key's & wallet before fighting or you wwill find where you left them... in unfortunate ways. lol
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #5 on: 2013-08-21, 13:30:29 »
Just remeber to take out the key's & wallet before fighting or you wwill find where you left them... in unfortunate ways. lol

That just gave me an image of where the pants pockets are located, how they can shift, and how pointy your keys can be.... and that's not a pleasant thought. :)

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2013-08-22, 01:38:07 »
That just gave me an image of where the pants pockets are located, how they can shift, and how pointy your keys can be.... and that's not a pleasant thought. :)

Did an SCA demo and forgot to take them out once. I had wondered why I hadn't been struck on that leg all day. Subconsciously I knew where they were and defended that leg awesomely.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #7 on: 2013-08-22, 12:49:16 »

Did an SCA demo and forgot to take them out once. I had wondered why I hadn't been struck on that leg all day. Subconsciously I knew where they were and defended that leg awesomely.

That's much better than the alternative, for sure! :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #8 on: 2013-08-22, 19:07:19 »
best Garth voice "gggggguyyyyyyyyyysssssssssss, i fell on my kkkkeeeeeyyysssssssss"

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2013-08-23, 14:14:22 »

I remember seeing an armor archive thread about "smart phone vs rattan" or something similar, where somebody left their phone in their pocket and had it smashed. I'm sure that's a fun warranty attempt!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2013-08-23, 16:25:44 »
I remember seeing an armor archive thread about "smart phone vs rattan" or something similar, where somebody left their phone in their pocket and had it smashed. I'm sure that's a fun warranty attempt!

This kind of reminds me of when I my dog stepped on my sword.  I was taking a photo and the dog pushed the door open to the room and stepped on my sword blade and cut one of his pads open.  He didn't flinch or show any signs of pain, but promptly started to track blood through the carpet!

Anyway, it was weird trying to explain to the vet how I cut my dog with a sword!  The most interesting part was the vet told me, 'Oh, that happens a lot more than you think!'  I was definitely surprised!
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #11 on: 2013-08-23, 17:51:55 »
Didn't your mother ever tell you to clean up yours swords when your done with them.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #12 on: 2013-08-23, 18:06:48 »
Didn't your mother ever tell you to clean up yours swords when your done with them.

No, because by the time Sir Ian got into swords, he had a wife to do that. :) lol
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2013-08-23, 18:09:21 »

No, because by the time Sir Ian got into swords, he had a wife to do that. :) lol

Ba-zing!!! lol

I was actually holding the sword at the time.  It was an armor shot, and I didn't see Merlin (my dog) come in and he stepped on the edge from the side.  When I realized what was happening I reached down and grabbed his ankle and lifted it off the blade so he wouldn't pull it away or drag it along the edge, making the cut worse.  But like I said, my dog is impervious to pain and didn't even realize what had happened...  He's a trooper!
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #14 on: 2013-08-23, 23:52:13 »
Closer to the subject of actually carrying stuff, I have to carry diabetic supplies that takes up way too much space for a belt pouch, so I had a period forage bag made to carry stuff in. It has a ton of space, and it's not as farby with harness.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux