Main > The Round Table

I could use a hand in developing my heraldic shield

<< < (2/6) > >>

Sir Edward:

Yep, either combination will work just fine.

If the heraldic rules matter to you, both are legit. In the field division, you can have pretty much any color combination you want, since the colors are "next to" each other, so you don't even have to use a "metal" (white or yellow) there if you want. Except, that if the charge is a "color" (which black is), then there needs to be a "metal" behind it.

I like the look of both.

Of course, people tend to gravitate toward quartering like that since we tend to think of that as a very standard medieval thing to do. But historically, it tended to signify "marshalling", which is a combining of arms when families are joined by marriage, though you're using a single charge in front of it instead of inside the quadrants. That's perfectly legit.

But these days so many reenactors want to do it, that they overlook the wide range of other types of divisions that can be done, as well as the "ordinaries" that can be placed on top (such as a chief, or bend, etc).

For a lot of the terminology, and options available, one of the SCA pages has a really great primer on heraldry concepts:

http://heraldry.sca.org/armory/primer/

I think it's really useful as well to look at Rolls of Arms (both historical, and the ones from other groups such as The Order of Selohaar, and some of the SCA heralds pages).

Anyway, that's all just in case you're using this as a starting point. If you're just picking between colors at this stage, well, that's entirely up to you, and I think both look great. :)

Sir Wolf:
badger badger badger badger.........

B. Patricius:

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2013-07-05, 15:20:01 ---badger badger badger badger.........

--- End quote ---
Knights of Ni!?!? what about Knights of BADGER!?!

Sir Wolf, EPIC new avatar btw B)

cool, thanks everybody!
I have a member of the "herald's circle" within the SCA that's a good friend of mine, he looked it over and said it was legit for SCA even because there are so few badgers lol and it definitely passed the rules.

As for the color combinations... well I guess y'all ain't a help at all!! :D you like em both too?!  :o I was hoping you'd make it easy for me  ;D

as for the red and white, here's why:
I now know that has nothing to do with me personally, but Lord help ya if you tell my family that!  It went into my psyche all the same.  The same with my alma mater, Mater Dei High School:
so in that, it's ingrained practically, but at the same time, it now seems a bit overdone too.  I either honor that past, or I start a new chapter.  I also already have some beautiful red damask lying around from a red tag remnant, I got it cheap, doesn't mean I can't change it.

I'm debating doing something else with the field, but I love the single badger as the device, if I'm even using the right terms. Reading heraldry is the worst for me lol.  To be honest, I'm not much of a team player anymore, and that's one of the reasons for the nickname.  That and the one here tried to pick a fight with my lady's van! :D

I'm hoping I can at least come up with a thread half of Lord Dane's.  I went through his again, after he talked to me about his.  I really agree this is something important.  I approach all this much like quite a few of you others.  I'll have a "templar kit" for sure, but my device for "my Lady's kit" as I like to call it, so I can swoon her, this is the most important start.

on that note, as much as I love the quartered design (particularly for garb and such), in the Adrian Empire, I'm the first badger.  I can literally do what I wish.  So in that, what are your opinions on making it even simpler?  Halved or even just a solid metal background?  I do realize that in the beginning it was quite simple.  But I'm trying to dance a fine line between archaeologically correct, anthropologically correct, and romanticized fiction :D

my goal, is to have the surcoat be worthy of DoK, it'll be handstitched with linen thread.  That to me, is the most important.  I want to be able to stand next to you guys.

YIS
B. Patricius

Sir James A:
If you like the red and white, go for the red and white.

DoK even has machine sewn things, however, they should be hidden (such as the Revival Clothing / Historic Enterprises clothing)

Sir Edward:

Hand-sewn stuff is great, but unless you're doing some hardcore living-history, most people won't notice the difference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version