"I think that more Knights are made on the school-ground than on the battle field."
                ---Benjamin Disraeli

Author Topic: New Great Helm  (Read 17927 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
New Great Helm
« on: 2013-05-20, 18:19:00 »
I bit the bullet and got myself a good quality great helm by Royal Oak Armory. I got it antiqued as well as lined.

It may look a bit big on my head, but it fits really snugly above my coif and arming cap, in fact it fits better than any of my other helms less claustrophobic than any other helms I tried on. The vision isnt too bad, just have trouble seeing above and below me but other than that I think I could be fine with it. I got to admit I probably will buy another helm off of him, probably a kettle helm but not anytime soon unfortunately as I'm saving for my trip to Iceland. I DO plan to gear up and wear all of my gear once I get my maille hauberk back from tailoring, then I will be taking photos. Ironically the helm it's based off of is also from the same part of Germany my German ancestors are from.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: New Great Helm
« Reply #1 on: 2013-05-20, 18:23:48 »
Looks great Sir Ulrich.  I'm confident now that you've gone ahead and got a good high-quality helm that you now see how much better it is than getting lesser helms you're not really happy with.

Ironically the helm it's based off of is also from the same part of Germany my German ancestors are from.

That's a pretty cool tie in for your kit.  It would make a great talking about at DoK 2 for the public.
« Last Edit: 2013-05-20, 18:27:21 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #2 on: 2013-05-20, 19:39:24 »
Sir Ulrich,

great looking helmet there bud!

I just liked this on facebook too, didn't know it was you!  I'll send you a friend request.  I've been drooling over their Lough Henney helm for some time now
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2013-05-20, 20:49:08 »
You got the Dargen- excellent acquisition; I had no idea it was so big!
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2013-05-20, 21:11:29 »
Thanks guys, yeah I think I might stop buying cheapie stuff now, glad I didnt get that GDFB brain bucket which honestly wouldnt look THIS good on me. Would of just ended up sold or on the shelf collecting dust due to being too heavy.

Thats mostly because I got a big head and wear a thick arming cap, thats why it looks big on me also cause I dont have my full kit on. It does feel heavy on my neck so I guess I have to do neck exercises to get used to it, oddly my kettle helm is heavier and I dont seem to have this problem.

One of the ties broke for like no reason though I mailed Jeffery about it and he said he'll send a few spares, I WOULD of fixed it myself but it's glued to the copper pretty well so I guess it broke from being brittle from the glue. Maybe I should tie them on the inside so they dont flap around on the outside?

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #5 on: 2013-05-20, 21:39:47 »
wow i like that a lot!!!

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #6 on: 2013-05-20, 22:20:09 »
Really nice looking Great Helmet. ;) Don't let it go to your head!! LOL  :P I kill me.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2013-05-21, 03:20:58 »
Very nice! I liked it on FB too.

Don't worry about the up and down vision. I think that's common with almost any closed-face helmet.

What do the ties do?
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #8 on: 2013-05-21, 03:26:46 »
The ties are there for the liner, I think I might take them out and tie them on the inside so they don't show as much. One of them did break for like no reason, I did message him about it and he said he will send a few spare ones so I can replace easily. Rather helpful honestly, I really like this helm, it's so sleek looking and from the front almost ominous looking, rather intimidating too.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2013-05-21, 16:27:10 »
Ah, liner, gotcha. The antiquing turned out cool too.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
« Reply #10 on: 2013-05-21, 18:20:25 »
Nice Helm Sir Ulrich. I agree about hiding the ties, are you sure they aren`t meant to be replaced with rivets??
G.
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #11 on: 2013-05-21, 19:17:59 »
Thanks guys, yeah I think I might stop buying cheapie stuff now, glad I didnt get that GDFB brain bucket which honestly wouldnt look THIS good on me. Would of just ended up sold or on the shelf collecting dust due to being too heavy.

Be careful Sir Ulrich  :D that's a slippery slope my friend.  I know plenty of people who love their GDFBs and Hanweis... ignorance can be bliss, and easier on the wallet.  I feel the same way honestly, I love going to good armorers and swordsmiths with my wants.  Rather than having a collection of sorts that sits around, I'd rather have one or two of each thing, that really works.
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #12 on: 2013-05-22, 19:54:31 »
Yeah, I used to always be happy with the lower quality stuff till I saw tons of the high quality stuff IRL at Days of Knights. I handled Joe Metz's, Ed's, and Ian's Albion swords and now I am currently in the process of getting my own but the wait times a lot. I also decided I wanted a high quality Great helm thats custom fitted as the eye slits locations are important. My brother tried on my helm and the slits didn't meet up with his eyes but they do mine. I don't prefer helms with the brass oculars either because it doesn't look nearly as "intimidating" and looks like a "good guys helm" I kinda like the idea of looking "intimidating and ominous" which is partially why I like the Teutonic Order.

I am going to tie the laces on the inside so they don't catch on anything, just a bit worried they'll catch on the coif I am wearing but meh it probably will look better with them on the inside. I LIKE the ribbons better than leather lace though cause the red and patina finish looks cool together, makes it look rather noble looking, most of my belts are red colored too which my heraldry colors are red black white and gold. It matches that which I prefer.
I do have a question for Ed about crests, I kinda want to put one up but not permanently, not sure where to get a carving, I was thinking maybe some animal crest to put on the top or maybe even a sun similar to the one in my coat of arms. I know Ed got a dragon to put on his helm which looks quite good there honestly. I could go for an animal though, probably a wolf, bird, or horse even though there is none in my coat of arms.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #13 on: 2013-05-22, 20:10:56 »
Yeah, non-permanent attachment is tricky. My crest was made by someone online who made them from custom leather. I think they went out of business unfortunately. But the nice thing about it is that it's very light, and has a velcro attachment. So the velcro is "permanent" (in that the sticker velcro stays on the helm), but I can take the crest-base on and off and cover the velcro with the mantle.

I used to put my old crest on with rare-earth magnets. It sort-of worked. The crest was a little too heavy for that method, but didn't fall off or anything like that. I just had to be careful not to dislodge it when putting it in the car, and so on.

I think ideally, bolting them on is best, but it means drilling holes, which I haven't wanted to do.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2013-05-22, 20:25:27 »
Velcro might be a better option than the magnets...velcro won't move, magnets might.  I got my crest, mantle and torse is being made now and I think I'm going to have the whole ensemble mated via velcro.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€