"Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense".
                -- Winston Churchill

Author Topic: New Great Helm  (Read 15983 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: New Great Helm
« Reply #15 on: 2013-05-22, 20:26:51 »
Guess I will pass up on crests then. I don't want to drill holes in my helm or anything the original probably didn't have a crest attached to it. It looks intimidating enough without one, I was just thinking the wings or horns attached would look cool but apparently I just read that only the leaders of the Teutonic knights had crests on their helms. Of course the Velcro option might be better than bolts, if I ever want to do it later on.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 2013-05-22, 20:42:38 »
I just ordered a couple rolls of velcro, let you know how it comes out.  Well, as soon as the torse and mantle are done and I get my helm back, that is.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 2013-05-22, 20:55:32 »
Ulrich, if you want to do an animal of some kind, have a look at Knightly Arts. I have a couple pics of my crest and a link to his site from mine:

http://james-anderson-iii.com/reviews/pages/knightly-arts/
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #18 on: 2013-05-22, 20:59:56 »
Sir James,

THAT is a beautiful helm crest sir!
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 2013-05-22, 21:29:37 »
Ulrich, if you want to do an animal of some kind, have a look at Knightly Arts. I have a couple pics of my crest and a link to his site from mine:

http://james-anderson-iii.com/reviews/pages/knightly-arts/

If that's Jeremy O'Neail, I'd make very sure that you get a firm timetable and you stay with him; mine got lost in the shuffle for a period of months before he finally made contact w/me.  But I can't knock his work, he does some good stuff there.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 2013-05-22, 21:47:38 »
Looking good!
Fall down seven, get up eight.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #21 on: 2013-05-24, 17:45:37 »
Cool helm!
As far as crests go, we have helms that actually do have holes in them specifically for mounting crests, so it's not that bad. I've got two tiny holes on the top of my helm, and that's it. My entire crest is removable, though it would be a bit of work.
Anyway, my crest is solid wood. I don't really feel the weight, and they are super sturdy. You won't see any other knights lugging about their helms by the crest!  ;)

As to historicity, a Teutonic Knight could receive gifts with the permission of his superior. So a helm with a crest could be a gift from your secular family, and you could have it with your Komptur's approval.

Or you could be a high officer, though portraying that gets really really hard with accouterments and encampment. 
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #22 on: 2013-05-24, 20:34:01 »
Yeah those are some nice crests. Maybe I will get one someday but my helm lacks holes to mount a crest onto it so I assume historically that helm did NOT have a crest. For now I am going without one because I dont want to drill holes in my brand new helm. I DO plan to put the ties on the inside however, and thats mostly for practicality and I think it would look better.

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #23 on: 2013-05-24, 20:48:13 »
Sir Ulrich,

you could also always do something fun like this:
I love the look of those crests and it shouldn't cause any major modification requirements either.

The reason I'm giving you these ideas is your helm appears to be a variant of the helm worn by the Black Prince, maybe something like this too could work
that's his helm, the crest looks like it's attached in a different way that straight on top.

I do know from experience (I live in hot mohave county) that it definitely helps to have something on over the top of your helm.

I'm debating something fun like this for my secular knight.  I'm looking for 13th century stuff on tournaments and the like.  My lady doesn't like how austere the Knights Templar are and wanted me to also make a secular kit so she can "dress me up nice and dandy."  Oh darn!
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #24 on: 2013-05-24, 21:52:03 »
My lady doesn't like how austere the Knights Templar are and wanted me to also make a secular kit so she can "dress me up nice and dandy."  Oh darn!

Ahah! Excellent. Once your lady is on board with it, the sky's the limit! :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #25 on: 2013-05-24, 22:04:03 »
Yeah!! Then you can spend.. spend.. spend... as though with her approval. Good plan!!!! Shop!! Shop!! Shop!!!  ;D
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #26 on: 2013-05-24, 22:38:44 »
Ahah! Excellent. Once your lady is on board with it, the sky's the limit! :)
Yeah!! Then you can spend.. spend.. spend... as though with her approval. Good plan!!!! Shop!! Shop!! Shop!!!  ;D

yeah, one of the perks too, is we do all our own soft kits.  I'm no armourer (yet ;D), but all our soft kit, my templar, her hand-stitched 14th cotehardie, my Irish/Spanish Ren kit, and even my period 1660 justacorps cost us barely over $200.  It's AWESOME!

The fact she enjoys this stuff almost as much as me (we have debates lol, she's an Art History major, I'm archaeology) is truly the greatest part of all this.  I am truly blessed with my lady.  8)

Hrolfr

• New Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: 2013-05-27, 16:28:44 »
I have rare earth magnets holding my torse and mantle to my helm (a skop).  It works well. It is a bit cheesy, but fun.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #28 on: 2013-05-27, 19:36:34 »
I have rare earth magnets holding my torse and mantle to my helm (a skop).  It works well. It is a bit cheesy, but fun.

Any pics? I don't know what a "skop" is. I'm curious about the magnets too vs drilling.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #29 on: 2013-05-31, 01:42:44 »
So when can we expect the helm to have it christening with scraps, dents, and so forth?
Fall down seven, get up eight.