"Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: Rare Warhammer on ebay for bid.  (Read 3679 times)

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
Rare Warhammer on ebay for bid.
« on: 2013-02-08, 20:56:24 »
Here's the link:
www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-RARE-HUGE-MEDIEVAL-WAR-HAMMER-circa-1453-NEARLY-8-LBS-NO-SWORD-/111006199717?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d87c2fa5#ht_720wt_1172

Got some patina on it in pics. Pretty big!! Used in last battle of the 100 Years War reportedly.

NOTE: I might have to get this just to use it on Sir Nathan for his 'hammering ceremony' next outing. ;) I can think of no better honor then to batter him with a touch of history. LOL
« Last Edit: 2013-02-08, 21:28:18 by Lord Dane »
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Rare Warhammer on ebay for bid.
« Reply #1 on: 2013-02-08, 23:19:47 »
The seller makes some wild claims that aren't really backed up by anything... I'm skeptical.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #2 on: 2013-02-09, 01:49:23 »
lol

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2013-02-09, 03:38:06 »
Looks like a re-handled masonry hammer to me?
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #4 on: 2013-02-09, 05:07:28 »
Alright, heres the deal, there are infact some " two handed " warhammers, unfortunately what this referencess is camp impliments pressed into service in the 15th century, peasent levey farm implemets in the 14th. I've seen and handled a few large examples like this with verifiable sources and I won't kid you, they're big, like farm implememnts pressed into service, but this fella is so vague, promising everything ( guaranteeded " authenticity " ) while promising nothing. Its old, I used to use a railroad spike setting sledge hammer from the 19th century ground round for planishing that had the same patina, and weighted just as much and fitted on a new haft would look pretty much the same in terms of appearence of " age ". Without something far more concrete in terms of documentation, I wouldn't go anywhere near it. Its not impossible that this was dug up where stated, but i'd need far more than " say so " to believe that 1) find place is legit, and 2) purpose is legit . If 1 were in fact true, why would one assume that 2 is, the weight stated makes it far more suited to engineering/camp work than fighting unless pressed into desperate service. Just saying, based on my years collecting original pieces.
« Last Edit: 2013-02-09, 05:09:18 by Allan Senefelder »

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2013-02-09, 23:47:41 »
Allan, that makes perfect sense. Could be antique but doesn't look like a normal 'war hammer' design, that would explain it.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2013-02-12, 15:27:27 »
Here's the thing...in reading the description, I wonder if this guy's ever handled weaponry at all.  He mentions: "...at 7.5 lbs, and a full FOOT LONG, this was obviously a two-handed weapon..."

I wonder at the size of the head...to be nearly 8lbs, that seems freakishly heavy for so short a haft.  Sort of like Mjolnir, eh?

It looks longer than a foot though...I wonder if he means the head itself is a full foot long?  The handle looks closer to 2 feet long in one of the pics.  Someone picked it up for $212.50.

The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€