"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
                -- Edmund Burke

Author Topic: Gambesons at Etsy  (Read 15813 times)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Gambesons at Etsy
« Reply #15 on: 2012-08-01, 23:18:20 »
Yeah I was considering ordering this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Gambeson-Wambais-Aketon-Medium-Renaissance-Coat-Padded-Armour-/251091867838?pt=AU_Costumes&hash=item3a763dd8be
Cause most custom stuff is in the 300 dollar range which is above my budget. I could always dye it black also. This is also in my period it looks like a 1200s gambeson and its sizing wont be too big on me as I measured the sleeve size.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140715409692
That one is also a possibility.

As long as you realize, both of those gambesons you linked are in Australia.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #16 on: 2012-08-01, 23:52:05 »
Yeah I know they are, thats the only issue is shipping will cost a bit but it's better than settling for something I dont really want just because it's local. All the gambesons I see sold in the USA are 14th century stuff.I dont want a gambeson that doesnt reach down to my knees cause the maille flapping around gets quite annoying. In all honesty all I ever see for sale is 14th century jupons which I think are not even meant for full maille but for maille and plate. Now to make the decision.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 2012-08-02, 00:34:52 »
With shipping, those cost approx $200 and $270... you're not too far out of custom gambeson range at that point, and you're taking a risk shipping it around the world to not be completely satisfied, because it's going to be another $70 to ship it back.  It's a risk when dealing with a vendor no one really knows about.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #18 on: 2012-08-02, 02:22:02 »
Yeah thats what bugs me a bit, it's appairently 3 layers of wool felt inside with cotton inside and outside so it's all natural fibers and should be better, though what I want is 2 layers because I think 3 may be too much. I did measure the size of it the sleeves should be perfect length. Maybe I could find someone locally who can make a 13th century gambeson but it WILL have to be custom job with a custom pattern because everywhere I know wants to make that 14th century jupon you see everywhere which isnt the design I want.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 2012-08-02, 02:44:06 »
It sounds more and more like you need a custom one. It doesn't have to be ridiculously expensive; pull a pattern or two online and ask the local suit shops / drycleaners, they usually have an in-house seamstress, or can point you towards one.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #21 on: 2012-08-02, 04:41:15 »
Yeah I know, I been looking around for a pattern but again all I can find are 14th century ones. Gotta calculate how much one from europe would cost me and how this one from AU would cost me and figure out what i want. My main issue is getting it in time for DoK which custom stuff would take a while to get especially from Europe. Currently I'm thinking about ordering overseas.

http://www.medieval-market.com/details.php?id_towar=60&s=1
That one is also the design I want. Seems like everything I want isn't sold in the USA and probably never will be unless I get it custom made in europe or something.
That one Thorsteinn linked to is the exact design I want actually I just dont know if they ship to the USA or if they'll get it done by October which is when I need it.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 2012-08-02, 14:21:44 »
Ulrich, that last one you posted (http://www.medieval-market.com/details.php?id_towar=60&s=1) - for the standard quality you're looking at spending $214.82, not including shipping; $406.18 for the high quality one w/felted wool batting (as opposed to their standard padding option) also not including shipping.  At those prices you're much better off  going with a custom gambeson.  It need not be a Jess Finley, but as with all things worth having, you get what you pay for.  Also, with this one if you pay by PayPal, you have to add in 3.5% in fees to use that option, shipping does not appear to be free.  Some things to consider.
« Last Edit: 2012-08-07, 13:35:11 by Sir William »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #23 on: 2012-08-02, 23:11:01 »
I emailed Matuls concerning shipping to the USA cause they have the thing I want the most. Currently I am trying to look for people who sew who could possibly make me one. I would prefer mine to me layered rather than stuffed because stuffing makes it a bit hot.
The Australian gambeson I linked to has felted wool batting and is cheaper than the medieval market one. Just not sure about the whole wool thing, I think bamboo padding or cotton would be a LOT cooler, but I am running out of time I need to order soon or else I wont get it in time for days of knights.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #24 on: 2012-08-05, 21:20:44 »
Allright they got back to me. They can ship to the USA for 40 Euros which is about 60-70 bucks, so either way it's gonna cost me the same to ship. Now to take my measurements and get a custom made one from there cause they got exactly what I want. I think I may get the one with mittens but I had people tell me it was meant for a stand alone armor rather than for under maille though the site says it's for under maille. Guess I will ask them again.

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #25 on: 2012-08-08, 13:21:40 »
Yeah I was considering ordering this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Gambeson-Wambais-Aketon-Medium-Renaissance-Coat-Padded-Armour-/251091867838?pt=AU_Costumes&hash=item3a763dd8be
Cause most custom stuff is in the 300 dollar range which is above my budget. I could always dye it black also. This is also in my period it looks like a 1200s gambeson and its sizing wont be too big on me as I measured the sleeve size.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140715409692
That one is also a possibility.

Try these too Sir Ulrich. They are lightweight & time period to Crusaders.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 2012-08-08, 15:52:14 »
Those look like later era arming coats, a gambeson from the Crusade era would've been more thickly padded.  Like this one:

Icefalcon carries them, this one just happens to be mine.
« Last Edit: 2012-08-08, 18:08:37 by Sir William »
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #27 on: 2012-08-08, 18:52:31 »
Asked them if they used Paypal 2 days ago no response yet. Getting a bit impatient cause now I'm worried I might not get mine in time when I order it. I was thinking of ordering a full set of arming clothes to save money on shipping plus it would be custom. I did find out the icefalcon ones have a poly fill and cost a little more than the one I want so I am just gonna order custom cause I dont want poly filled. Cept I do think the thin ones arent poly filled. Though I would like a thicker one so the maille is softer on my shoulders.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #28 on: 2012-08-08, 20:09:55 »
A padded collar might suit you, Ulrich- try this one:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Padded-Gorget-Medieval-Armour-Collar-Substrata-protection-chain-mail-/261051237342?pt=AU_Militaria&hash=item3cc7ddc3de - it'll save you from having to buy a whole other gambeson (I'm assuming you've been wearing one all along, it just wasn't as padded as you like it); these guys are in New South Wales (Australia) so shipping's something to think about but since you seem bent on ordering overseas, why not this?  They've got a lot of goods to offer, you might find their gambeson to suit you as well.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #29 on: 2012-08-09, 03:27:29 »
Yeah I am thinking of ordering 2 things from there if the polish dude doesn't get back to me soon. They got nice stuff there and well I DO need a new aketon because my current one doesnt go down to my knees thus making the maill flap around and ruin my braies and chausses. Maybe I could get padded cuisses to solve that? But that will be my last ditch method if I cant get a new gambeson by October.