"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play, but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache."
                -- Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Author Topic: Gambesons at Etsy  (Read 15846 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Gambesons at Etsy
« on: 2012-07-17, 01:46:09 »
http://www.etsy.com/listing/89998648/medieval-celtic-viking-armor-padded?ref=sr_gallery_1&ga_search_query=gambeson&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=ZZ&ga_min=0&ga_max=0&ga_search_type=all
Was wondering anyone ever purchase a gambeson here? They reach down to the knees which is JUST the gambeson type I need for my hauberk but I been wondering about durability of them and whatnot. They look like norman era gambesons which is sorta what I am looking for. Just don't like the metal clasp idea I'd rather have laces or buckles.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Gambesons at Etsy
« Reply #1 on: 2012-07-17, 04:45:32 »
I don't like those fasteners nor that the seller doesn't disclose the materials used. Also why would it not be SCA heavy, or SCA rapier, combat legal?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #2 on: 2012-07-17, 11:27:50 »
i am betting it is a "legal disclaimer"

i would replace the metal closures with points.

what is it all made of? arms look kinda tubular.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2012-07-17, 17:20:48 »
It mentions measurements outside of the S/M/L. I wonder if they're tailor made. If so, I bet you could ask for no metal hardware, and what they're made of.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2012-07-17, 17:28:18 »
I know this tailor (Dan Desmarais of Morgana's Collection), I've bought from him before...his items are tailor made.  Oh, you can find a goodly amount of his wares on ebaY but he still requires your measurements as he makes them to fit.   If you want to know anything about it, just email him directly- he's pretty responsive.  Sort of pricey too but as in all things worth having, you get what you pay for.  I don't know if this guy's ever done any SCA or other European martial art, but he knows how to sew and stitch.  Just make sure you're certain of your measurements, don't guess because he will make them to order.

As for his padded garments, I have no experience...I've bought a pair of pants, two pair actually, and an open sided surcoat/jupon...the red one I'm wearing in my current avatar pic, actually.  I'd wear that padded gamby w/sleeves as a fall/winter coat!
« Last Edit: 2012-07-17, 17:28:40 by Sir William »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #5 on: 2012-07-29, 22:36:48 »
I mailed them and it turns out their gambesons are made of cotten inside synthetic padding and linen outside. They also only use 1 layer of padding and they cant make it if it uses buckles and straps. Debating on on where to get one, this is the only knee length gambeson I could find close to the USA but I dont like the idea of using synthetic padding cause my current one has that and it's hot as hell. The main reason I want one is i'm fed up with my maille constantly rubbing up against and hitting my thighs cause my gambeson is too short to reach it.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2012-07-29, 23:58:56 »
What about http://gambesons.com/? Sew your own?

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2012-07-30, 21:52:12 »
Because I dont want to pay 300 bucks for arming clothing thats sold cheaper in Europe and isnt even the same period style I want (1100s-1200s) and I lack ANY sewing skills myself. My ex girlfriend offered to make me one but she said layers of gambeson is easier to make than padding it so I was gonna try that myself. Just need a pattern for a 13th century one I dont even want to pad it to be honest cause padded gambesons are a pain in the heat, I just want a layered gambeson with many layers of linen that wont be too hot in the summer.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2012-07-31, 15:46:52 »
Ulrich, when it comes to arming clothes, given your size and dimensions, you are much better going with a custom gambeson.  Cheaper does not equal better- spend your budget wisely and you'll be happier overall.  Take it from someone who has spent thousands of dollars on weapons, armor and garments- I've resold over 90% of what I've gotten over the years simply because the fit, finish, quality or whatever else can be off, was off.  Going custom is cheaper but think of it like this:

You can spend $300 on a custom gambeson, or you can spend $300 on three different off the rack gambesons, only to find that the materials and/or workmanship are shoddy, is not as advertised, does not fit, only to have to sell them at a reduced price thereby taking money out of your pocket and finding yourself in the exact same boat you were in before you started.  Can't tell you how many times that's happened to me.

Unless you're going to take the field and actually fight, you need not go full-custom, or worry about synthetic materials (unless you're angling for Living History accuracy) - in that case there are options.  Morgana Collection would be a good choice as it would be custom, but not as expensive as say a Jessica Fuhlen gambeson, like the one Ian had made.

I have an IceFalcon gambeson, paid $150 for it when it was on sale (he does that from time to time, Andre does - here's a link to his site.

http://store.fastcommerce.com/render.cz?method=searchProducts&store=icefalcon&keywords=arming%20cotte&btn_search=

The 'light arming cotte' might be exactly what you need.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #9 on: 2012-07-31, 16:41:01 »
ya your not gonna get off the rack for what you really want. 300 sounds about the going price.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2012-07-31, 19:30:20 »
Sir William speaks the truth. I have 4 or 5 gambesons; I started cheap (about $80), and now have ended up at the $250 revival arming coat. Had I started there, I'd be much better off. I learned just like you did, off the rack, and synthetic, is best suited to monthly, indoor games.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 2012-07-31, 19:52:34 »
Sir William speaks the truth. I have 4 or 5 gambesons; I started cheap (about $80), and now have ended up at the $250 revival arming coat. Had I started there, I'd be much better off. I learned just like you did, off the rack, and synthetic, is best suited to monthly, indoor games.

+50

I also learned the hard way.  Wasted money on off-the-rack garbage, wish I went with my trusty revival from the get-go.  Don't go cheap on arming clothes, it is the number one determining factor in how mobile and comfortable you are in armor.  Cheap arming clothes will make you hate your armor.
« Last Edit: 2012-08-01, 00:53:42 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #12 on: 2012-07-31, 23:53:42 »
Yeah I been talking to Robert Coleman about gambesons and I think custom is the way to go, now to find someone willing to make it out of the materials I want it made out of. I want a hemp canvas outer shell to hold up to riveted maille and inside made of linen. Padding wise I want either bamboo or cotton fill because wool would retain heat too much. I need to find someone willing to make one thats a 13th century design though thats a pull over and goes down to my knees. Off the rack stuff just doesnt work for me.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2012-08-01, 01:41:22 »
Matuls might be able to help.

Though it sounds more & more like doing it yourself is the way to go. I have 2 patterns that can help. I made mine with very little experience and it's the best bit of armour I own. Materials wise it was about $90 and more than 10 hours of work but totally worth it!

(yes I'm wearing it in my pic)
« Last Edit: 2012-08-01, 01:43:19 by Thorsteinn »

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #14 on: 2012-08-01, 22:45:00 »
Yeah I was considering ordering this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Gambeson-Wambais-Aketon-Medium-Renaissance-Coat-Padded-Armour-/251091867838?pt=AU_Costumes&hash=item3a763dd8be
Cause most custom stuff is in the 300 dollar range which is above my budget. I could always dye it black also. This is also in my period it looks like a 1200s gambeson and its sizing wont be too big on me as I measured the sleeve size.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140715409692
That one is also a possibility.