"Chivalry is itself the poetry of life."
      -- Schlegel, Philosophy of History

Author Topic: Life. (be prepared for reading)  (Read 44047 times)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Life. (be prepared for reading)
« Reply #75 on: 2012-05-09, 01:06:52 »
Well my luck has struck again lol, had a date set up for tomorrow, then the girl gets grounded (and shes about to be 18 on friday) who grounds an 18 year old thats ridiculous

Actually, a lot of people. There's an old saying, "My roof, my rules", and 18 or 25, act up and get locked down. Seen it happen on more than one occasion. :)

If she's not allowed out, but can talk on the phone / internet, chat with her a bit, try to set up a "raincheck" date for next week (or whenever).
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #76 on: 2012-05-09, 01:32:26 »

lol, well, until she's actually 18, she's still a minor, so I can see how a grounding might still be needed. Heh :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #77 on: 2012-05-09, 05:40:19 »
Well my luck has struck again lol, had a date set up for tomorrow, then the girl gets grounded (and shes about to be 18 on friday) who grounds an 18 year old thats ridiculous

Actually, a lot of people. There's an old saying, "My roof, my rules", and 18 or 25, act up and get locked down. Seen it happen on more than one occasion. :)

If she's not allowed out, but can talk on the phone / internet, chat with her a bit, try to set up a "raincheck" date for next week (or whenever).

I hate the my roof my rules rule haha. Yeah we are trying to work somthing out for me and her only, but I will see her at the faire this weekend.

lol, well, until she's actually 18, she's still a minor, so I can see how a grounding might still be needed. Heh :)

Well shes 18 on friday so pretty much same difference haha

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #78 on: 2012-05-09, 15:58:48 »
I hate the my roof my rules rule haha.

It's pretty normal to get frustrated with that, but it's the way things should be. The person who works a job and pays for that roof has the final say. My step-brother is having problems with that right now too. He turned 18 but still lives with his mom. Until he moves out, it's mom's rules. He hates it, but that's the way it is.

Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #79 on: 2012-05-09, 16:00:30 »
I hate the my roof my rules rule haha.

When you have your own place and end up with a freeloader living with you, you can then complain...or rather, when she does!  ;)

The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #80 on: 2012-05-09, 19:46:02 »
I guess but still haha, a little old to pull that card

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #81 on: 2012-05-09, 20:31:46 »
Not at all, not at all.  Your point of view may change once you're on your own responsible for paying your own rent, bills, car note, insurance, etc etc.  I left home on my 18th birthday because I figured I was 'too old' to have to adhere to such rules- but I left and moved into my own place in order to do so.  In retrospect, I guess I'm lucky I didn't get into more trouble as a young man considering...but had I stayed home, chances are I wouldn't have gotten into any trouble and life could've been a bit different.

I have no regrets- and having raised two children of my own I can tell you- my house, my rules.  If my 21 year old daughter wanted to come live w/me, she understands that the rules come with it.  Same with my soon-to-be 18 year old...she lives w/her mother and is subject to her ruleset but if she lived w/me, it'd be mine.  As a parent, it is our responsibility to think about, and in some cases, worry about some of the decisions and actions our kids will face and be a part of- which is why there are rules in the first place.  You let a kid have free reign and you'll have trouble on your hands.  I know grown people, in their 30s who still live w/their parents...perhaps at that age, the rules might need to be altered, but I wonder at the sanity of parents who would let their kids still live at home at that advanced age.  Could not, would not be me!
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #82 on: 2012-05-10, 13:32:53 »
Yeah we are trying to work somthing out for me and her only, but I will see her at the faire this weekend.

Something to keep in mind of course is that the "grounding" might also be an excuse. This isn't automatically the case by any means, but young women in particular will often make excuses to avoid telling you they've changed their mind. It's a possibility that's worth being prepared for. If that sort of thing happens, you can always ask her out again, and if she has another excuse, then you have your answer and can move on (and don't feel bad about it at all, as it just means it's time to look elsewhere and bears no other reflection on you).

Hopefully this isn't the case, and she really was grounded, but I thought it was worth mentioning. We've all been there at one time or another.

My general rule of thumb has been to take people at face-value at first, and then once you start to see a pattern emerge, then you're getting to see the truth. :)

Good luck and have a great time at the faire this weekend!
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #83 on: 2012-05-10, 18:39:34 »
Something to keep in mind of course is that the "grounding" might also be an excuse.

Agreed, I was nudging at that thought as a possibility earlier:

Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #84 on: 2012-05-10, 21:21:49 »
Yeah, even as a kid I can agree with the "my roof my rules" thing. They pay for basically everything, you live there for free. The least you can do is listen to what some folks with your best intrests at heart (and a ton more of life experience) say. Though that doesn't and shouldn't mean you don't get a say at all. Kids should be allowed to negotiate and at least present their side of the issue.

Also, age isn't that big of an issue. Look at some long-tern couples ages. Heck, I once had a summer fling with a 19 year old when I was 14. Age isn't a factor, maturity is.

Anyway, I'd take her word that she's grounded. If she dos that or somethign similer again, though, you might have a problem.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #85 on: 2012-05-10, 22:16:43 »
Yeah, even as a kid I can agree with the "my roof my rules" thing. They pay for basically everything, you live there for free. The least you can do is listen to what some folks with your best intrests at heart (and a ton more of life experience) say. Though that doesn't and shouldn't mean you don't get a say at all. Kids should be allowed to negotiate and at least present their side of the issue.

Also, age isn't that big of an issue. Look at some long-tern couples ages. Heck, I once had a summer fling with a 19 year old when I was 14. Age isn't a factor, maturity is.

Anyway, I'd take her word that she's grounded. If she dos that or somethign similer again, though, you might have a problem.

Yeah im pretty sure she was grounded this time, had a applicable story behind it, if it happens again i might be like hmmm idk about that

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #86 on: 2012-05-20, 00:26:51 »
It's not BS when you guys say women like armor, I wore my maille for the first time at a medieval faire today and I had a group of women approach me today. I was like WTF this has NEVER happened to me before. It's a shame I didnt get to know them more due to the fact I was basically overwhelmed with what happened. Needless to say I am gonna wear armor more often to the faire because it does work as an ice breaker. They knew I was a knight first and foremost.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #87 on: 2012-05-20, 12:17:51 »
Congrats. :) Yep, it takes some time to get your confidence up to talk with them more, but I'm glad you're seeing that it's an ice-breaker. Of course, the flip side is that it sometimes draws in people you really don't want to talk to as well. Heh. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #88 on: 2012-05-20, 16:50:53 »
Or it draws in drunkards who punch you square in the chest.  :o

Although it draws in women more often than the MMA aspiring drunks, so I'd stick with the armour.  ;)
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #89 on: 2012-05-20, 21:15:04 »
I was like overwhelmed, I liked it though I was a bit shy. They loved my sword too I showed them it and they were all wow this is a cool sword. Good ice breaker for talking to girls seriously. Just wish I could overcome my shyness and social awkwardness when talking to women. Not really used to talking to women in person, only online.