"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."
                -- Mary Pickford

Author Topic: Uh oh Sir James Anderson  (Read 29797 times)

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
Re: Uh oh Sir James Anderson
« Reply #30 on: 2012-02-23, 21:34:05 »
I call being the Black and White knight!
Oh, wait, darnit, we already have about 3 of those!  :P

Sir Ian, I like the COA. Good choice on your quartering  ;)

So if we're part of the Quartered club, where do we register?  :o
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #31 on: 2012-02-24, 17:38:42 »
Willaim and James, the Mrs. said she's up for it, so i'll have her look at these and let you know what she'd need for the artwork and you can decide if its for you. I'll have her look this evening.

Awesome, thank you Allan.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #32 on: 2012-02-24, 18:21:53 »

Well, there's you...and who else?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #33 on: 2012-02-24, 18:34:21 »

Well, we now have 4 members with quartered arms.

I'm really not 100% sure why they say they'll deny them, other than the fact that they're HIGHLY popular. Quartering is often also used in marshaling (combining separate arms into new arms), so they may be trying to reserve it for that.

In the long run I think all that matters is whether YOU are happy with your chosen arms. Registering them in various places just helps you to protect your uniqueness against other folks making the same thing (if they care to register as well, otherwise they'll never know it's in use).

The US Heraldry site Sir Brian posted is an attempt at creating a US-based college of heraldry, since we don't have any government sanctioned equivalent. It appears to be run by the Mormons out in Utah, which isn't too surprising since they're super-huge fans of genealogy and the like.

Registering with the SCA covers the big, huge 800 lb Gorilla of the historical enthusiast community.

To me the latter was useful, since I want to be able to display my arms when I go to Pennsic, and to be able to truthfully say "Yes, those are my registered arms". If you don't have it registered, then they could ask you to put it away if it too closely resembles someone else's arms. If it doesn't, no one will likely notice or care whether or not it's registered.

So basically, I'll encourage you guys to register your arms far and wide if you want, but what we establish in the Order really only matters to the Order, in the grand scheme of things.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #34 on: 2012-02-25, 03:54:22 »

Well for starters, there's Sir James, who i can't even call first on since he's also a founder, Stormdelver, Sir Cliff (Though he focuses on his Templar impression) and if you count he grey in Sir Wolf's COA as Argent, then add him too.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #35 on: 2012-02-25, 18:46:05 »

Well for starters, there's Sir James, who i can't even call first on since he's also a founder, Stormdelver, Sir Cliff (Though he focuses on his Templar impression) and if you count he grey in Sir Wolf's COA as Argent, then add him too.

My arms aren't quartered. :)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #36 on: 2012-02-25, 21:30:08 »

Yeah, last I looked, I think they only bend in half at the elbow. :)

Actually I think they were just talking about black/white arms in that case.
« Last Edit: 2012-02-25, 21:31:15 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #37 on: 2012-02-26, 03:46:36 »
Yeah, just the colors. Don't worry Sir James, I didn't add you to the quartered club.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #38 on: 2012-02-27, 03:08:58 »

Yeah, last I looked, I think they only bend in half at the elbow. :)

Actually I think they were just talking about black/white arms in that case.

Yeah, just the colors. Don't worry Sir James, I didn't add you to the quartered club.

Oops, I got it now. I'm not completely the "black and white" knight, mostly black, so I'd call it more a "black knight" since the white is just an accent, or sometimes gold (brass).

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #39 on: 2012-02-29, 00:23:29 »
James, the Mrs. said $125 for yours as she has the rampant lion tracing stecils she made for another one already, William she'd like $150.00 for yours.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #40 on: 2012-02-29, 02:03:03 »
well, since no-one seems to challenging for the position of the black and white knight, I call it!  ;D

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #41 on: 2012-02-29, 04:49:47 »
James, the Mrs. said $125 for yours as she has the rampant lion tracing stecils she made for another one already, William she'd like $150.00 for yours.

That sounds fine, Allan. Should I pay you for the shield + painting all at once, or does she have a separate paypal that I should send it to? Just let me know what to do. Please tell her thank you for taking on this project.

well, since no-one seems to challenging for the position of the black and white knight, I call it!  ;D

All yours. :)

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #42 on: 2012-02-29, 05:01:09 »
Yessss!!!!    8)

Now I just need to find a way to get all the folks at the renn faire to call me that...... ???

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #43 on: 2012-02-29, 11:56:37 »
don't make me slap you with the gauntlet young knight ;)

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #44 on: 2012-02-29, 12:32:45 »
James, she's a bit of a lowtech gal so she doesn't have a paypal, you can use mine for the lot.