"He that respects himself is safe from others; he wears a coat of mail that none can pierce."
                -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Author Topic: Uh oh Sir James Anderson  (Read 29802 times)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Uh oh Sir James Anderson
« Reply #15 on: 2012-02-21, 18:32:10 »
No quartering, eh?  Ahhh...was getting tired of that look anyway.  :)
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #16 on: 2012-02-21, 19:47:11 »

I have a feeling it's just because they've received so many of those, that it's hard to pass them with enough points of difference from existing arms, without a compelling reason for it (such as proof of inheritance, etc).
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #17 on: 2012-02-21, 20:46:52 »
Allan, you and your wife did a great job on the shield. Ironically the heater I am going to order in our group buy, I was going to see if I could get my arms painted on it too

James, I discounted the price for the shields for you guys but I can't do that for my wife, she'd need to get what she feels its worth for the artwork. Wheres a pic of it so I can have her look at it?

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 2012-02-21, 21:28:49 »
Your wife does extremely good work...what does she charge?
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #19 on: 2012-02-21, 21:36:41 »
Your wife does extremely good work...what does she charge?

Its completely dependent on the difficulty of the work desired. If you have a picture of what you want I can show her and see what she needs for the work.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 2012-02-21, 21:47:19 »
Hey Allan, here it is.  Just a quote...because the more I look at it, the more I think I want it changed.

Sir Edward; what was the name of that program you used to create our shields to begin with?  Think I want to have a go at it.
« Last Edit: 2012-02-21, 21:48:48 by Sir William »

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #21 on: 2012-02-21, 21:54:40 »
Sir Edward; what was the name of that program you used to create our shields to begin with?  Think I want to have a go at it.

"Coat of Arms Design Studio" is the one we use for the shield shape on the Roll of Arms. It's very good:  http://inkwellideas.com/coat_of_arms/

However, the one thing it doesn't do is allow you to place anything other than straight edges for color divisions. The other one I've used is called Blazon, which has a pretty awful set of charges to play with, but it'll do all sorts of divisions, such as wavy, embattled, etc:  http://www.harnmaster.us/blazon.html

« Last Edit: 2012-02-21, 21:56:03 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #22 on: 2012-02-22, 00:20:50 »
Hey Allan, here it is.  Just a quote...because the more I look at it, the more I think I want it changed.

Stay with something blue, it'll make recoloring you Codex plate easier ;D
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 2012-02-22, 02:54:34 »
Allan, you and your wife did a great job on the shield. Ironically the heater I am going to order in our group buy, I was going to see if I could get my arms painted on it too

James, I discounted the price for the shields for you guys but I can't do that for my wife, she'd need to get what she feels its worth for the artwork. Wheres a pic of it so I can have her look at it?

Allan, no problem, just shoot me a quote. I hadn't even thought to ask if she was still doing it or not, and was going to check with you when we order the shields. Here's a picture from my gonfalon, for how I'd like it to "sit" on the shield since they're the same shape:

Small note, the tongue/claws are grey on there, but I'd like the entire lion (including claws and tongue) white. Here's my surcoat, with the whole lion white:

(both pictures should be clickable for large versions, if photobucket is being nice to me today)
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #24 on: 2012-02-22, 03:14:03 »
That is a nice surcoat 8)
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 2012-02-22, 18:31:00 »

Stay with something blue, it'll make recoloring you Codex plate easier ;D

Yes, Sir!  It was my plan anyway to keep the same color schema (blue/black) - can't go all blue because Sir Edward's the blue knight, and can't do red cuz you're the Red Knight so I'll be the Black Knight, with blue accents.  :)

Anyway, I'm thinking of going with all blue, w/a black chevron and a black griffin somewhere in there.  Or maybe just blue, w/a black griffin?  I liked it, after you put it on my plate so I'm going to roll with it.  Do the whole torse and mantle thing too, when I can find one.  Was it you that mentioned finding bookends that had the image I wanted then cutting them off?

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #26 on: 2012-02-22, 18:49:35 »
I wouldn't worry too much about using the same colors as another knight. There are only so many colors to choose from.

Heraldry is like EGA graphics on late-80's era computers. Red, green, blue, black, white, purple, yellow... and that's about it. :) Oh, and brown I suppose. And some furs.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #27 on: 2012-02-22, 19:16:51 »
Ooh, fur...I did always want a fur-edging on my heavy cloak.  Need the heavy cloak first.  Kind of like what I saw in Game of Thrones...that was just the last thing in which I saw something I'd like.  Didn't care much for their regular clothing tho...looked kind of funny, all the men had these leather straps criss crossing over their chests w/attached shoulder pieces.

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #28 on: 2012-02-23, 17:48:04 »
Willaim and James, the Mrs. said she's up for it, so i'll have her look at these and let you know what she'd need for the artwork and you can decide if its for you. I'll have her look this evening.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #29 on: 2012-02-23, 18:03:41 »
Awesome, sir, and thank you!